Skip to main content
Topic: ADVICE BADLY NEEDED 1983 Thunderbird Heritage Update (Read 7757 times) previous topic - next topic

ADVICE BADLY NEEDED 1983 Thunderbird Heritage Update

Reply #45
Quote from: TOM Renzo;431188
Yes sir Chooglin i am happy to mention i am now I CAR certified along WITH JR. And both of us are npw Porsche and MB factory certified I CAR. AND YOU!!!

http://www.i-car.com/index.shtml

So big shagING DEAL...... Who gives a shiznit !!! ....... Your an asshole !!!
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #46
Thank
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #47
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #48
Just

Reply #49
Quote from: TOM Renzo;431187
Yes sir Chooglin i am happy to mention i am now I CAR certified along WITH JR. And both of us are now Porsche and Mercedes  factory certified TECHS and I CAR aluminum welding. AND what are YOU CERTIFIED IN JUST CURIOUS!!!

Tom, you're qualifications and knowledge are not the reason you seem to be involved in many, MANY disagreements on this forum over the past couple of years..... 
Things get lost in translation with regards to typing a conversation as opposed to hearing and speaking words. 

To be honest, you come off as quite pompous.  Whether or not this is your intent is anyone's guess. 
Regardless, I do hope you are in fact feeling better.  As much as people I've argued with over the internet have infuriated me, I still wish no ill will upon them.  I simply wish for them to see where I or someone else might be coming from.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #50
Quote from: EricCoolCats;431149
:popcorn:

:rollin:
Save a horse, ride a Cougrrr!
1988 Mercury Cougar - 5.0HO, 3G, AOD w/shift kit, 4.10 gears in 8.8, Mass Air, CAI, Pypes X-pipe, Pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, Pypes Violator lers
1997 Ford Mustang GT - stock
2000 Ford Ranger 4X4 4.0 - stock
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis- stock
2008 Ford Escape 4X4 - stock

Reply #51
Quote from: MY83T;431088
Its my first car, my car that my wife and i grew up in, the car i sowed my glorious days of a mis-spent youth in.  It will never leave my family, therefore the value to cost thing is basically irrellevant. Some things are not about money. Traditions, and memories are huge parts of this life we live, and i will not allow a freak of nature to undermine my life any more.  Too much ruined for my kids already.

:iagree:  :headbang:

That's great! Good luck with it! I completely understand the emotional attachment and how that outweighs what some others may consider "a worthwhile investment". I know I take heat from people from time to time about putting money into "that old Cougar", but I love it. This car is a direct connection between me and my dad. I really believe I will keep it as long as I live.
Save a horse, ride a Cougrrr!
1988 Mercury Cougar - 5.0HO, 3G, AOD w/shift kit, 4.10 gears in 8.8, Mass Air, CAI, Pypes X-pipe, Pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, Pypes Violator lers
1997 Ford Mustang GT - stock
2000 Ford Ranger 4X4 4.0 - stock
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis- stock
2008 Ford Escape 4X4 - stock

Reply #52
Can we confirm that the vehicle is still....there? Yes? Okay then it's salvageable. :)
All a question of whether or not you are willing to *do what it takes*. Up to and including ripping evvvverything apart. Which, when compared to a 2000-something BMW with seven miles of wiring for one thing, becomes a walk in the park in a relative sense.

It'll be a long haul. But a vehicle with this type of attachment makes that worth it in the end. Rust? How can a panel be entirely useless if the rust holes in my 1938 Buick haven't gotten any worse in the 9 years I've had it on the road, nor has any paint bubbled or chipped off? Oh, right. The car hasn't even seen a drop of water from a garden hose for so much as a courteous washing. Plenty of wax and a California Duster will do 'er fine! Spot cleaning as needed. ed birds! Could they ever truly be 99.99999% factory perfect again? Probably not...but am I building a points-judged car? Are you?....Is this a 1-of-1 1929 Duesenberg or a Fox Body TBird?

Wiring? I don't know about compatibility of materials, but I'd love to think there's something out there you could submerge all of the wiring harnesses in to dissolve any corrosion, and then allow the harnesses to bake in the hot summer sun for days on end until all moisture has outgassed.

I'm an engineer-in-training, let's say, and I see this as a problem-solving exercise. Time to get creative. :) There's a way, it just needs to be discovered. And the way isn't necessarily throwing everything in the garbage and replacing it with new pieces.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #53
Quote from: TOM Renzo;431193
Just for the record i do not want to come off as a PRICK. The reason i am passionate about cars is i want to pass on factual info that i believe is helpful. All my life i have been repairing and fixing messed up cars. I truly pass on info i think is helpful. I do admit i am thick headed in my beliefs. But i want you to know i post to help people not to break balls. Hopefully i am helping as i would never give out info that i thought would do otherwise. Thank you.

Tom, what i am about to say, i say respectfully and with good intentions.  Personally i have only had polite exchanges with you.  I would say the animosity that many people feel is based upon your bedside manor.  More often than not its the messenger and not the message that is the problem.  If i were a Neurologist and somebody with a common cold asked me what would make me feel better, i could answer that some aspirin and chicken soup would do the trick or i could go off on a lengthy tangent about human physiology and how things work and why, and it would be correct and accurate and nobody would care, because they only want to feel better.  Sometimes the simplest answers are the best and right answers.  I am a pro photographer, when i get a question from a large girl who says what can you do to make me look less heavy, i don't bombard her with all kinds of details about what i will do, i merely reassure her that i am sensitive to what she wants and will get her the results she needs.    I have a whole brain full of knowledge and details about a variety of subjects, by the same token i only share what i think will be useful, helpful and interesting to those who are tuning in at any given moment.  I don't need to be right, or have the last word even when i know i have the correct answer.  You can lead the horse to water as they say.......  Sometimes just prefacing your comments with "In my professional experience, i found this to work well"......as opposed to an absolute insistence that its your way or the highway.    All just food for thought.......please accept this as constructive and not throwing daggers.
Best,

David

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #54
Ahh, there's the gratuitous pic of a high dollar car that has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand... You never fail to disappoint, Tom. You're predictable, if nothing else.

Tom's biggest problem, and the root of virtually every issue he's had with people on this forum, is that he absolutely refuses to accept that others may have opinions. Worse, he can't accept that those opinions may differ from his, and *horrors* they might even be valid. In Tom World, Tom is the only one with any experience, and therefore is the only one who is qualified to offer advice. Case in point: He cannot accept the fact that I, an ASE certified master tech, former GM master tech, and current silver-level Honda tech (I've only been there seven months, give me a year and I'll be platinum), who has 21 years of experience working on cars that are basically dipped in salt 6 months of the year, and who lives within sight of the Atlantic Ocean and pretty much has salt running through his veins, might know a thing or two about the effects of salt on a vehicle. Nope, it's Tom's way or no way, folks. Other opinions simply cannot exist.

Now, if you really do want to leave the forum and go pester the LS1tech boys, please do so and leave us the hell alone. Show them your pictures - maybe they can make the correlation between a swamped T-Bird and a plastic hot rod with a belly button engine that you're trying to make here. Who knows, you might make both forums a better place - I can say with certainty that your absence would make this place better. I'd be more than happy to lock the door behind you...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #55
Quote from: MY83T;431088
Its my first car, my car that my wife and i grew up in, the car i sowed my glorious days of a mis-spent youth in.  It will never leave my family,

David, I personally know what your feeling with regards to your Bird.    Our bird represents the first car my new wife and I (still married to) picked out together.  I have now owned that beauty for 26 of her 28 years and I certainly treat both of them like the special ladies that they both are.  I took both our kids home from the hospital for the first time in that car and now my kids are openly discussing in front of us which one is to get the car.  This car will never willingly leave my family.  I honestly don't know and hope I never do know what you are experiencing.  It truly is unfortunate that you even have to make a decision like this.  Follow your heart and no matter the decision you make it is yours to make.  V8Demon pointed out in a previous post that that was all that matters in the end.  So, no matter your decision, I will be silently cheering for you and your happy ending from the corner.  Good luck to you.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #56
Quote from: My10-80;431242
David, I personally know what your feeling with regards to your Bird.    Our bird represents the first car my new wife and I (still married to) picked out together.  I have now owned that beauty for 26 of her 28 years and I certainly treat both of them like the special ladies that they both are.  I took both our kids home from the hospital for the first time in that car and now my kids are openly discussing in front of us which one is to get the car.  This car will never willingly leave my family.  I honestly don't know and hope I never do know what you are experiencing.  It truly is unfortunate that you even have to make a decision like this.  Follow your heart and no matter the decision you make it is yours to make.  V8Demon pointed out in a previous post that that was all that matters in the end.  So, no matter your decision, I will be silently cheering for you and your happy ending from the corner.  Good luck to you.
Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement. I am glad others know and understand the meaning of iconic objects and symbols in our lives, and what they mean for a sense of history and memories.

Reply #57
Drop a battery in her. If you get ome life its not a total loss.Its not a total loss either way youll never know til you try. Need a lot of rice. But i have no doubt it will fire up. Have faith. Ill keep my eyes peeled for wiring harnesses if ya need one. Now is the time to go all out and make it exactly what you want if you have to start from scratch. Look at Jerry's cat, when he started looking at it would give you tetb-hole.

Reply #58
Just thought i would share these shots of the salt crud at the air cleaner and carb intake on the Bird.  Crazy how high the water rose....
XX

Reply #59
Eww that sucks.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.