Skip to main content
Topic: I might be getting my first Thunderbird and I need some tips! Is this one worth it? (Read 5022 times) previous topic - next topic

I might be getting my first Thunderbird and I need some tips! Is this one worth it?

Hello all,

Some backstory..

I've recently been in the market for a new car: My '91 GTA isn't fit for harsh conditions up here in Washington, and my '81 Caprice Classic (while working fine) is pretty run down.

So after some hunting on Craigslist I found an '85 T-Bird in my area (302 V8). I'm a big fan of driving around American Steel, and the awesome sound of the 5.0 engine (my dad has an '89 Mustang GT 5.0 and I just love the sound it makes, though I believe the engines are a tad different in both cars).

Now Down to Business..
X

Here are the details: http://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/4286600608.html

[COLOR="#FF0000"]Asking Price: [/COLOR]$3500

[COLOR="#FF0000"]Odometer: [/COLOR]89,5xx

[COLOR="#FF0000"]Engine:[/COLOR] 302 V8

[COLOR="#FF0000"]Details:[/COLOR] According to the seller it's lived in a garage for quite a bit of its life. After sending a few e-mail queries about it, he tells me he bought it from the original owner, an older woman, in 2004 (at which point it only had 29,000 miles).

The main work he's had done on it since owning it was: "Water pump, all brakes replaced, New radiator, tires,  head gasket, heater core, distributor cap and rotor, full tune up.  Those are the main ones and were done about 80,000 miles. "

He also claims the interior is like new.

Concerns:

He also mentioned: "Has one light ding in the rear bumper and one small spot of rust that needs sanding and touch up paint. Both of which were on car when i purchased it."

Now, due to the inclement weather, he hasn't been able to take it out to take more pictures, and I haven't been able to schedule a time to go over there and look it over. I also don't know much about these T-Birds, or what I should look out for, what they are worth, etc.

So, with all of that, I have a few questions:

What are some things I should look out for when I go to take a look at this car whenever I do?
Can anyone who owns a T-Bird of this year tell me about their experiences with the car?(with the V8) Was it love at first drive??
Does this car seem like a steal? Or could I get one in similar condition at a better price?
Bonus!: He mentioned the car " has a unique paint job with 2 tone and red pinstriping." Anyone know about the uniqueness of this particular paint? Maybe a picture of a T-bird with similar paint?

Thanks a lot!!

-Possible future T-Bird Owner

I might be getting my first Thunderbird and I need some tips! Is this one worth it?

Reply #1
I'll post more pictures when I go down to see it. Stay tuned!

Reply #2
Check out this link for common rust areas: http://www.foxthundercats.net/foxhunter.htm
Other than that, just look for the normal things, make sure it sounds good, starts fine cold, check the fluids, etc. The car looks clean from the picture, I don't think you'll have any problems. The heater core being replaced is a good deal, assuming it was replaced with an OEM unit. It's one of the most dreaded repairs on these cars from a labor stand point. Kinda odd that the head gasket was replaced, it's definitely not a common failure on the 5.0 cars. In fact, I've never heard anyone with a 5.0 say they blew a head gasket. Not a part someone willingly replaces as preventative maintenance. Just something to keep in mind.

Love at first drive? For me it certainly was, I loved my car the second I sat in it. But it was also my first car, so I'm a bit biased. This car...won't be very fast compared to your dad's GT, nor compared to your GTA. It's a heavier car with a less powerful engine. Stock we're probably talking 140-150 horsepower. It's an 85, so I'm pretty sure it's a CFI motor like my 84. Basically it's throttle body injection, similar to the system GM used. 2 big injectors on a throttle body instead of 8 individual injectors. Personally, I've daily driven my CFI car for 2 years as my only means of transportation, and it's been great. The only time it left me stranded was when the voltage regulator died. In the middle of Providence, Rhode Island. Anyway, you can definitely upgrade to get more power out of the engine, it should be a roller block. Fast as your wallet will let you really. Based on your taste in cars I'm sure you're willing to wrench on it. So with all that said, the car won't be fast, but it'll ride very nice. Very comfortable seats, almost guarantee they'll be powered. Windows, mirrors, and locks are also almost always powered. Make sure they work, but they're very easy and cheap to replace. The steering effort is very light, shifts should be nice and smooth with the 4 speed AOD transmission, no road noise to speak of. Great car to go on a road trip. It'll certainly break the wheels loose, especially if you swap in a T5 like I have. Even with the 140 HP, she'll still roast 'em through 1st, 2nd, and chirp into 3rd.

Does this car seem like a steal? No, you're actually on the high end of the spectrum for these cars. If it's as nice as it looks, I'd say it's worth 3500, given the low miles. 3K would be better. These just cars aren't worth much at all, they never got the following the Mustangs did.The Turbo Coupes are worth a bit more than the V8 models, given their rarity. Fewer were made, they were more expensive from the facory, and a lot of them ended up as parts cars due to their standard equipment.

The paint scheme appears to be factory. Not sure how rare it is though, someone more knowledgeable than me would know.

Check out this site for more detailed information on these cars. It's directed towards the Cougar, but 95% of the information still applies. Cougar is to Thunderbird as Camaro is to Firebird.

http://www.coolcats.net/fox/1985colors.html

Looking forward to seeing more pics, let us know how it turns out.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Reply #3
Be sure to check the front frame rails and inner fenders (strut towers) for rust too, as those are bad areas (difficult to fix, and structural). Pay particular attention to the areas adjacent to the exhaust manifolds, as the heat in this area seems to accelerate rust.

I would be leery about the paint scheme as well - it is not a factory combo (no factory combo ever brought the lower colour up around the wheel wells). In fact a paint scheme like that is frequently used to cover rust repair, as it's easier to paint it a different colour than to try to blend a repair in on an existing panel. Also, where is that small rust spot? Depending on where it is it could be an easy repair (door bottom, lower fender, etc) or it could be a pig (around lower edge of rear window, or the seam where the rocker panel meets the quarter panel). And no matter what he says, that "small bit of surface rust" is almost certainly worse than it looks. Be sure to check that out.

$3500 is getting to be fair money for one of these cars in really good condition. It's not a steal, nor is it "all the money in the world", but the emphasis is on "in really good condition".
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
Look into the trunk where the spare tire sits and look for rust there as well both off mine have it in those spots. The engine are some what the same as the 5.0 in ur dads GT. If you change out your heads and a few other things u could possibly get close to the same power. It looks like a good car my dad has an 86 and I love it and I have 2 turbo coupes  my self. Just be a normal buyer for it. Look around the car, underneath on the frame rails how clean the interior is. Its your first thunderbird then treat the buy like your first car. But remember though these thunderbirds are not meant for winter so idk how Washington is but in Illinois its bad right now.
88 tc red, 5 speed daily driver/work in progress.
01 f150 4" lift, 35" tall mud tires, (needs a bigger lift)
88 tc black. New leather interior, motor is a work in progress.

Reply #6
X2.

You have work ahead of you if you plan on upgrades. double check for rust.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
Thanks a lot dragon for the info on the rust spots! I'll keep these in mind

For some more context about my situation maybe some of you will have more advice about what I should do, I'm sort of just looking for another daily driver (my Caprice is REALLY... eh), but this will also be my FIRST actual car.

My dad wanted my brother and I to have a V8 in High School, so he bought us the GTA to serve that purpose.. It's a HOT car, but it's a pain in the ass as a daily (sits really low which is bad for speed bumps, and I generally feel stressed having to baby it wherever I go to keep it in good shape).

So I'm not really looking for another fast car, or expecting this car to perform nearly as well, I just can't see myself driving a boring KIA around, and I love me an American V8, and that 5.0 sound (music to my ears). I've also have a secret dream to drive American V8 cars for the rest of my life

We're really a car family, but I don't actually tinker with cars myself real often, but I'd like my first car to be something unique that I can have pride over, and something to START tinkering with, and these T-birds are definitely unique 

I don't really care much for all the electronics and gizmos (though I think the electronic gauge clusters are pretty tight), and I'd probably try to keep it as stock as possible, which is why I'm hoping this car is in great shape so I can keep it that way or improve it (I DO like those 5.0 badges though.. >_>)

My brother got his first car a few years back, an '84 VW Scirocco, and he's definitely fallen in love with it and has become quite the 'car tinkerer'. He's part of a few VW communities now and suggested that I join one for more info.

It's also because of his love and knowledge of VW's that I'm sort of drawn to getting one myself, he claims they are pretty easy to work with, and I've been wanting to get a stick shift too. And depending on how high-maintenance these T-birds are, maybe a VW would suit me better?

So some more questions:

1. Are these cars pretty easy to maintain?
-I'd imagine this probably depends on the power plant.

2. Do you think this would be a suitable car to fit my needs? (i.e. fixable, lovable, drivable)
-fixable, lovable, driveable are really my 'need-to's' for my first car, but what's on the line here is can I find this with a unique American V8 car such as this year of T-Bird? Or do I have to play it safe with a common VW buzzbox?

I guess what I'm really asking is what would I be getting myself into? Am I looking at a Delorean-style American classic (Unique, collectible, breaks a lot) or something rugged and completely viable as a daily commute?

I understand this sort of goes beyond the questions about this particular car, and this car could definitely be a bust depending on what I find, but I'm starting to really like these cars.

Thanks a lot for all of your help!

Reply #8
I agree that the price is a little high...I personally don't see it selling for the asking price...The car looks good in the pic but make sure to check it out REALLY good and make him an offer.  Just a warning these cars can be addictive (lol) . Good luck and keep us posted.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #9
I personally would steer clear of the cfi motors.

The 86's look nearly identical but have sefi. you should be able to get 25mpg + freeway, really comfortable, and very dependable and relatively easy to maintain. my shopping list is generally a 86-88 5.0 cougar or tbird, I have never owned a 88efi 3.8, but I would definitely consider one if you don't plan on modding it without an engine swap.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #10
If you're looking for something reliable that doesn't require a lot of maintenance, stay the hell away from VW!!! I say this as a former mechanic at a used car shop who has quite a bit of experience working on 'em.

A T-Bird should be dead-nuts reliable, but the problem you will run into is a lack of replacement parts availability. Major components and maintenance items are still available because these cars share their DNA with Mustangs, but T-Bird specific stuff is gonna be hard to find. This is true for any classic car, but these ones in particular seem to be ignored by the aftermarket
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;429928
A T-Bird should be dead-nuts reliable, but the problem you will run into is a lack of replacement parts availability. Major components and maintenance items are still available because these cars share their DNA with Mustangs, but T-Bird specific stuff is gonna be hard to find. This is true for any classic car, but these ones in particular are completely ignored by the aftermarket

There all fixed ;)

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #12
Quote from: ISTLCRUZ;429923
I agree that the price is a little high...I personally don't see it selling for the asking price...The car looks good in the pic but make sure to check it out REALLY good and make him an offer.  Just a warning these cars can be addictive (lol) . Good luck and keep us posted.

Darn right they can be addictive.    We now have 4 birds in our stable.  so be careful or you'll catch the bug too!

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #13
Quote from: Potatrix;429921
Am I looking at a Delorean-style American classic (Unique, collectible, breaks a lot) or something rugged and completely viable as a daily commute?

The latter, for sure. Plenty of us here daily drive, or have daily driven these cars for years with no problems. As for wanting a stick, these cars will accept a T5 transmission from any 79-93 Mustang with no problems. I switched from a column shift auto to the T5 in a weekend, and drove it to work on Monday. These are great cars to work on, and easy to learn on. I knew absolutely nothing about cars until my dad came home from work one day and said, "I think I found your first car. It's a Thunderbird, wanna go see it?" I've done 100% of the work on my car using my own 2 hands, and on a minimum wage paycheck. It's a great feeling knowing your car literally inside and out, it gives you an appreciation for what you have.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Reply #14
X2. I've basically only driven these cars for the last 10 years. ill bet I've got over a million miles between them, most with very little work.

I swapped a t-5 in my bird march of last year. I've put over 50k miles a figure on it. its sitting at about 250k right now. its been in at least 5 states, including a 1350 mile straight trip within 20 miles of the Canadian boarder. but you have to take care of things as they come up, just basic maintenance and you should be fine.

They are addictive though. I've had 3 86 5.0 cougars, 2 87 3.8's, and 3 87 birds.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.