Skip to main content
Topic: I might be getting my first Thunderbird and I need some tips! Is this one worth it? (Read 5119 times) previous topic - next topic

I might be getting my first Thunderbird and I need some tips! Is this one worth it?

Reply #15
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;429928

A T-Bird should be dead-nuts reliable

Quote from: My10-80;429942
Darn right they can be addictive.    We now have 4 birds in our stable.  so be careful or you'll catch the bug too!

This was sort of what I was hoping for!

Quote from: Haystack;429926
I personally would steer clear of the cfi motors.

Are the CFI motors really such a pain? Maybe I should so some research on this.

I like the sound of swapping a T5 in.. It's nice to know I have some options thanks to similarities with the Mustang

If it really is a reliable car, has such low miles, 'like-new' interior, and minimal rust, I feel like it would probably be worth $3500

But I agree that the there's probably more to this rust spot he mentioned.. I'll make sure to check the vital spots,

and thanks again dragon for the info on the headgasket being a rare fix.. It does sound a bit fishy, maybe he had a little too much fun with it when he owned it? Also that paint going up around the wheel wells is definitely suspicious and NOT factory.. (though I kind of like the look, I'll have to check it for rust) Based on his E-mails he seems like a pretty big fan of the car

[COLOR="#FF0000"]I'll definitely take plenty of photos and maybe even video if I can...[/COLOR] and hopefully the guy won't think I'm a nut

[COLOR="#FF0000"]Maybe you clever s will pick up something that I don't[/COLOR]

I'm sure you all would like to see as many pictures of it as I can get anyways

I might be getting my first Thunderbird and I need some tips! Is this one worth it?

Reply #16
The cfi motors aren't bad, but they have a lot of specific parts and are harder.to trouble shoot.

The sefi motors are easily fixed, and almost all sensors are the same for sefi motors, giving you a lot better chance of troubleshooting and finding parts. there are a couple cfi whiz's here though.

I really respect that your reading and taking advice from everyone here. I think your gonna do fine. go with your gut. if the car looks and feels good, go for it. if it doesn't, don't.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #17
Not to dissuade you from a V8 car but 3500 will buy you a nice 87-88 turbo coupe. Also here's  a link to an 88 5.0 bird in the same price range as the one you're looking at.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4275656270.html
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #18
He is in Washington/Oregon I'm guessing by the craigslist add.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #19
Yeah but I was showing am example of what the market holds. I enjoyed Oregon the last time I was there. If you go east of the mountains nothing really rusts.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #20
Quote from: Haystack;429964
He is in Washington/Oregon I'm guessing by the craigslist add.

Yea this is actually a local stop for me.

Around here it rains a lot, so rust will probably be a prominent issue with cars around here.

[COLOR="#FF0000"]I found another T-Bird a little farther away[/COLOR] but still 'close'.. I'm not sure what to think of it: http://skagit.craigslist.org/cto/4270869846.html

Asking Price: $1500

X

X

X

Idk what the powerplant is, and it doesn't have the steering wheel I like, but it looks pretty clean based on the photos, and definitely a LOT cheaper

Do these things really go for so cheap despite looking so clean?

I'm not sure I'd be interested in anything that's not a V8, just because that sound is important to me, and I'm not sure what this one has under the hood, I'm betting it's probably a V6.

I was actually first turned to these cars because of a friend of mine who has a '87 TurboCoupe, I thought it was silly at the time but I'm starting to realize more and more how special it actually is. I just remembered he's selling it but it's not really in the best condition. Maybe I'll get some photos of it just for fun to put up on a different thread.

Reply #21
I've never paid more then $550 for one of my cars. generally they need work or would be considered a mechanics special.

Little tlc goes a long way.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #22
Quote from: Potatrix;429969
Yea this is actually a local stop for me.

Around here it rains a lot, so rust will probably be a prominent issue with cars around here.

[COLOR="#FF0000"]I found another T-Bird a little farther away[/COLOR] but still 'close'.. I'm not sure what to think of it: http://skagit.craigslist.org/cto/4270869846.html

Asking Price: $1500

Idk what the powerplant is, and it doesn't have the steering wheel I like, but it looks pretty clean based on the photos, and definitely a LOT cheaper

Do these things really go for so cheap despite looking so clean?

I'm not sure I'd be interested in anything that's not a V8, just because that sound is important to me, and I'm not sure what this one has under the hood, I'm betting it's probably a V6.

I was actually first turned to these cars because of a friend of mine who has a '87 TurboCoupe, I thought it was silly at the time but I'm starting to realize more and more how special it actually is. I just remembered he's selling it but it's not really in the best condition. Maybe I'll get some photos of it just for fun to put up on a different thread.

That car is drool worthy. I love it, if I were closer I might actually steal it... It looks like an incredibly low optioned car, you almost never see crank windows on these cars. Crank windows, manual seats, manual parking brake release, no lighting packages, base gauge cluster, base interior...yet it has power side mirrors. Given all that, I would assume it's a V6 model. Nothing good about that engine, though someone here might disagree. It's pretty easy to swap in a V8, but I understand if you don't have the means to do that. This would be a great car to start with though, especially at that price. Can you say ultimate sleeper?

By the way, which steering wheel do you like? That particular one is 83 exclusive, but I think it also was in the 80-82 models. 84-86 have the A frame wheels, and 87-88 have the (IMO) ugliest design.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Reply #23
Quote from: dragon574444;429989
That car is drool worthy. I love it, if I were closer I might actually steal it... It looks like an incredibly low optioned car, you almost never see crank windows on these cars. Crank windows, manual seats, manual parking brake release, no lighting packages, base gauge cluster, base interior...yet it has power side mirrors. Given all that, I would assume it's a V6 model. Nothing good about that engine, though someone here might disagree. It's pretty easy to swap in a V8, but I understand if you don't have the means to do that. This would be a great car to start with though, especially at that price. Can you say ultimate sleeper?

By the way, which steering wheel do you like? That particular one is 83 exclusive, but I think it also was in the 80-82 models. 84-86 have the A frame wheels, and 87-88 have the (IMO) ugliest design.
Crank windows with vent windows, no less. Want.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #24
I agree this car has ALOT of potential. ''ASKING PRICE'' to me means make an offer that you are both happy with.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #25
I like it. might be a v-8 you never know.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #26
Quote from: Haystack;429993
I like it. might be a v-8 you never know.

Agreed...

In that long list of items serviced/replaced, doesn't mention head gasket(s) and most of those POS 3.8 have had two sets by now...

Reply #27
Wish my tax return wasn't already spent. if I had money, id take that car if you didn't. lowball the guy at $1000 and let him talk you up to $1200.

I'm not sure I've ever seen vent windows and a hand crank.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #28
Well, either one of you guys bought it or someone else did, verified SOLD

I also verified it was a V6, just because I was curious

I think I might be giving this 302 T-Bird up.. 3500, even 3000 is quite pricey..

I've also started to REALLY like the cougars a bit more

I'll probably still go down to check it out but I might end up waiting on my T-bird/Cougar fantasy

Reply #29
Quote from: Potatrix;430012
Well, either one of you guys bought it or someone else did, verified SOLD

I also verified it was a V6, just because I was curious

I think I might be giving this 302 T-Bird up.. 3500, even 3000 is quite pricey..

I've also started to REALLY like the cougars a bit more

I'll probably still go down to check it out but I might end up waiting on my T-bird/Cougar fantasy

It's only pricey if you have certain goals in mind.  If you want to mod a car then its too high.  If you want a super clean, need nothing driver, $3k is not off the wall.  I just paid $2k for a super clean 72K mile 87 Cougar XR-7.  I plan to lightly daily drive and alternately make it a hobby car.  No plans for mods.  There are deals to be had, just have cash in hand and be ready to jump fast.  These cars are not super popular with the masses, but the fans of these cars know the value of them, and just like i did, grab them and give them a good home.  You have to remember unless you enjoy the chase for parts and like restoring a car, this is not a Mustang where you can replace 90% of a car with parts from a catalog.  Thunderbird/Cougar specific trim, and parts are scarce in good condition and NOS items when found are stupid expensive, so is a solid and complete car overpriced at $3k?  Depends..... if you grabbed a lesser car for 1500-2000 and have to dump in 1000 in stuff thats missing, broken or worn out, sometimes there is a value in the extra bucks spent.  Not saying what you should do either way, just giving you another point of view.  Welcome to the sickness......good luck finding your dream Fox!

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler