Skip to main content
Topic: Turbo coupe spring hight (Read 17060 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #45
I've been reading thread after thread and what I got is that fox struts are 1" shorter than sn95 struts and should be used for cars lowered at least 1.5".

I'm planning on running fox shocks and struts and lowering my car around 1.5-2.5"
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #46
when you say 'fox struts' i assume that covers those fitted OEM to a tbird?

Tbird struts arn't different to mustangs are they?
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #47
"fox struts" are mustang struts up to 1993, after that they are SN95. The fox tbirds/cougars are more comparable in deminsions to the SN95 suspensions than the fox mustangs. So the fox mustangs struts are shorter than the SN95 and our fox tbird/cougars.

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #48
Keep in mind too, that if you swap parts and use Fox struts, you'll have less travel. Good for a track car, not so good for a daily, unless you absolutely want it.

My setup is pretty stiff, but I also have Energy Suspension poly in just about every place they have a product for...it definitely brings more feel into the steering wheel, but also more noise and roughness, in regards to ride.

With all that in place, I quickly found that the old dried up tires that were on there were suddenly the weak link. So I spiked a sheet of plywood into the ground, and did a burnout.

With the Bullitts and Nitto tires that are on now, I dare not spin 'em.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #49
Thanks for clarifying.

85 extended 20.5"
85 comp 13.875"
travel = 6.625"

Koni ext 20.625"
Koni comp 14.5"
travel = 6.125"

QA1 HS601S - Fox Mustang Front Struts
Ext: 19.31
Comp: 13.07

Seems like i should chase down some Fox Mustang ones :)
95 Falcon GLi

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #50
Yea I was talking about fox mustang struts and I do understand the will limit travel.
Judging from EFFalcons's data, fox struts are just what I needed.
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #51
EFFalcon

Thanks for clarifying.

85 extended 20.5"
 85 comp 13.875"
 travel = 6.625"

Koni ext 20.625"
 Koni comp 14.5"
 travel = 6.125"

QA1 HS601S - Fox Mustang Front Struts
 Ext: 19.31
 Comp: 13.07

Seems like i should chase down some Fox Mustang ones

Did you measure the fox mustang struts? I have no idea if my measurements are taken where they would be comparable to any advertised measurements. I took them for comparison to one another where it was easy to do so. Just don't want anyone to get crossed up in measurements that are not comparable.

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #52
actually good point bodyman, its possible those measurements aren't comparable.

i don't know how they measure theirs.
the SN95 numbers are very similar, but who knows given different brands etc.

HS601S   Front (Mustang '79-'93)       13.07    19.31    1979-1993 Mustangs with SN95 spindles, order part #HS603S   
HS603S   Front (Mustang '94-'04 incl. Cobra)        14.63    20.87   N/A
95 Falcon GLi

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #53
Can you actually damage stuff from running the shorter (fox) struts/shocks on a lowered car? Or would it just ride harsher?
88 Turbo Coupe 5 Speed..Full exhaust, K and N, Boost Controller

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #54
I don't think they will damage anything as long as your alignment, camber/caster stays in check but I could be wrong.
I just finished installing fox struts and shocks (w/chuck adapters) and my car handles amazing compared to the stock prc stuff
I also installed 96 gt vert springs on the rear and cut exactly 5/8 of a coil off the stock TC front springs
heres some pics so you guys get an idea of the look, and this is with 2 amps and 2 10" subs in a heavy box in the trunk

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #55
Great lookin ride ! Like the stance..Well done.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #56
Sorry gotta ask..what would be the advantage over running fox vs sn95 if they both fit fine? I can see the extra length on the SN95s being good for maybe if you ever needed to go off roading and needed the extra wheel travel lol..Unless im thinking about the travel thing the wrong way

Oh yeah im looking around for a set of springs to buy..looking for SN95 lowering springs. Im told that progressive is the way to go for a decent ride..anyone out there have a suggestion on what set to get??

88 Turbo Coupe 5 Speed..Full exhaust, K and N, Boost Controller

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #57
Where can I find some of those chuck adapters?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #58
From Chuck W...you know the guy that started this site. In all seriousness Chuck W makes and sells them.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #59
To clarify, the SN95 struts are about 1" longer in their compressed height. Other than that there is not much physical difference. If your car is stock height or mildly lowered the SN95 struts are what you want to go with. If your car has more than a mild drop say 2"+ then go with the Fox struts.

The rear shocks are different in the fact that the SN95 units have internal bump stops and the Fox units do not. This is why they are typically used with coil overs.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp