Skip to main content
Topic: New springs and shocks (Read 3134 times) previous topic - next topic

New springs and shocks

My car is in need of new shocks and I'd like to get new springs along with it. Does anybody know what are the stiffest shocks made for Tbirds? Also what are the dimensions of turbocoupe springs. I'd like to get a higher spring rate but I don't even know what the stock spring rate is.
Thank you for your help.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

New springs and shocks

Reply #1
If I recall the conversation I had with Jack Hidley at MM correctly, you are stuck with the stock springs and rates unless you want to lower the car and go with SN95 springs and shocks.

New springs and shocks

Reply #2
Unless you man up and get coil overs...kidding, no really.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

New springs and shocks

Reply #3
If you don't mind lowering significantly, the setup i run is very stiff and handles well with all junkyard/forums/ebay parts, other than the control arms.
Front:
03-04 cobra struts and springs
Rear:
Bullet/Mach1 springs and shocks, with ChuckW adapters, and CHE adjustable arms.

I have poly bushings everywhere, and it has a very firm ride, corners wonderfully.
I'm not sure how much it would lower a TC, as mine is either a base or a lx.
Chris
87 Thunderbird 5.0
Engine: 97 p-code explorer block, heads, and intake; 88 HO cam, 1.7 RR's, A9P, Kenne Bell 2.1 Flow/Blow 8psi, 42lb injectors, LMAF, 75mm TB, Tuned by Don Lasota
Trans: 02 Stang 4r70w with Baumann TCS
Suspension: Front: 03-04 cobra springs and struts, TC rack. Rear: CHE arms, ChuckW shock mounts, Bullitt springs and shocks
5 bolt with 95 mustang front and mark vii rear.
TC 3.73 L/S rear
03-04 SVT Cobra 17x9's with 275/40r17's.

New springs and shocks

Reply #4
Cut a coil off your stock springs!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

New springs and shocks

Reply #5
How much will the mustang springs lower it down?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

New springs and shocks

Reply #6
Before....factory Sport springs....

After....SN-95 springs.....

About a 2 inch drop all around. Nice factory feeling ride, and still able to clear a speed bump.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

New springs and shocks

Reply #7
Oh wow that looks great! So are SN95 shocks and springs just a bolt on replacement?

New springs and shocks

Reply #8
Actually, I still have the struts that came with the Bird (I have new '86 T-Bird struts ready to go on), and Thunderbird air shocks out back, filled to 30 psi. I'm getting a set of Chuck's Mustng shock mounts for the rear, and may look into the best shock at that time, but for now, I'm pretty happy with it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

New springs and shocks

Reply #9
the sn springs look good

New springs and shocks

Reply #10
I wanted the Sport lower than stock, but in a realistic manner. I need to be able to take a speed bump, or "real" roads without having to come to a near stop and crawling over bumps. Screw that.

New springs and shocks

Reply #11
yea ive slammed a few stangs and crawling over bumps gets old lol

New springs and shocks

Reply #12
True, and to add to the reasons I like these springs, The car rides like it should. No bouncing around or a rigid ride. Comfortable, and functional.

New springs and shocks

Reply #13
I need to get a set

New springs and shocks

Reply #14
They are all over Ebay.