Skip to main content
Topic: A One Off Custom Fuel Door (Read 2857 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A One Off Custom Fuel Door

Reply #15
Like I said I dig the fuel door, but giving it a second look I have to ask...... Are you sure that there is no way to mount it so the hinge faces forward?  I ask this only because while at highway sppeds it may be possible for the wind to catch it and open it on you which may cause damage.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #16
As I recall, someone on these boards mounted one on in the traditional fashion.  I believe it's a Mustang part that's been adapted to fit.

Reply #17
I ask this only because while at highway sppeds it may be possible for the wind to catch it and open it on you which may cause damage.

Exactly what I was thinking.
One 88

Reply #18
Caps lock is a button on your keyboard.
Nice job with the fuel door - looks great on a white '88 XR7.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #19
Well It Has A Big Magnet That Holds It .you Half To Push It In To Open It  .two Reasons I Monted It This Way.first I Would Need To Cut The  Body .to Mount It Correctly  ..didnt Want To Do That.also It Would Be Hard To Pump Gas With The Magnet In The Way+mounting Backwards Is Different So I Did That. The Only Thing In Did Was Drill Mounting Holes And Get Longer Bolts .+ I Had To Bend The Hole A Litle .but The Cap Is Off A F-150.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #20
Quote from: Ifixyawata
As I recall, someone on these boards mounted one on in the traditional fashion.  I believe it's a Mustang part that's been adapted to fit.

That was vinnietbird. I can't seem to locate his cardomain page though.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #21
Looks pretty cool, but you should turn it around so the wind doesn't rip it off when you forget to close it.

Reply #23
Have you tried putting gas in it yet?  I looks like the magnet thing that sticks down might get in the way of the fuel nozzle.

Reply #24
The fuel doors on the bird's and cats are 6 1/2" in dia., and the stang units are 6" in dia.  I've thought about the swap, but don't want the 1/4" gap there.
Resident "Idiot".

Formerly TBob5pt0 :shoothead

Quote from: JeremyB;165772
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Quote from: Big_D
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

Reply #25
Quote from: BEARMAX
Well It Has A Big Magnet That Holds It .you Half To Push It In To Open It  .two Reasons I Monted It This Way.first I Would Need To Cut The  Body .to Mount It Correctly  ..didnt Want To Do That.also It Would Be Hard To Pump Gas With The Magnet In The Way+mounting Backwards Is Different So I Did That. The Only Thing In Did Was Drill Mounting Holes And Get Longer Bolts .+ I Had To Bend The Hole A Litle .but The Cap Is Off A F-150.

If you're gonna do that, I think its better if ya put the CAPS LOCK BACK ON. :hick:
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #26
Nah, pro, that's what the message board software does to correct typing in all caps.  IMO, it'd be better if it made it all lower case, that's at least more bearable to read.

Reply #27
Screwy.  Stupid software.
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #28
One thing that I did just notice that is kinda cool, I like the vette style side pipes. Not fun with shorts though, I'm sure :D
Resident "Idiot".

Formerly TBob5pt0 :shoothead

Quote from: JeremyB;165772
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Quote from: Big_D
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

Reply #29
I was thinking of side pipes at once then i looked at the local law here in toledo it has to come out after the tire unless it was bought from the factory that way.