Skip to main content
Topic: Still having an issue...UPDATE... (Read 8750 times) previous topic - next topic

Still having an issue...UPDATE...

Reply #60
sounds like a TFI to me
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #62
they weren't new, I dont think
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #63
or maybe the wiring coming from it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #64
The two distributors both came with new TFI's on them, and the one on my old distributor was only 3 months old. No change with any of them.

I have a friend who is the head instructor at the vocational school for automotive tech. He said to bring the car Thursday and he'd put it on the machine and check it out. HOPEFULLY that'll find the issue.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #65
Good to have friends with tools!!!  Hopefully you guys can find the problem and it will be interesting to know what is causing your headache.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #66
Dumb question but you don't have any pinched/bare wires underhood do you? TFI and coil harness looks good?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #67
That to is on the list for tomorrow. Wires and harnesses. I'm going to pull the upper intake and look at it all.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #68
It could very well be a worn connection or a pinched wire around the salt and pepper shaker area. Could possibly be from all the intake swappage going on under the hood. Hell it could be a bad ecu ground or engine to chassis ground hope you get it all figured out vinnie

Reply #69
Vinny that is good to have a friend with a scope i am thinking. But getting it to act up not driving it could be a c. But either way Good Luck. Still sounds like spark but you can look at the scope pattern and tell a lean cylinder instantly. Hope you have good luck in finding it. I am thinking that the advance parameters may be messing up. As a back fire is normally late or lean. Dont rule out a vacuum leak.

:burnout::burnout:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #70
I'm not ruling out anything. Wiring issue, spark...whatever. I don't even care if it's so simple a 3 year old should know it, as long as I know the problem and can address it, it's all good. I'm going tomorrow after lunch, and will report in when I get home. Or, report what we didn't find. Either wya.

Reply #71
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;406579
It could very well be a worn connection or a pinched wire around the salt and pepper shaker area. Could possibly be from all the intake swappage going on under the hood. Hell it could be a bad ecu ground or engine to chassis ground hope you get it all figured out vinnie

All the intake swappage? Really? Me? You must have me mistaken with somebody else.

Reply #72
O.K.....I took the car down and my friend put it on the diagnostic ignition machine thing....He says that the coil isn't putting out but half of what it should as far as he sees it, and that the TFI is probably no good.

NOW, my current coil is an Autozone factory style replacement. It's under warranty. I can swap it for an MSD and just pay the difference, or should I go with another stock style?

As far as the TFI goes, I can get a Wells from Autozone, or an NOS Ford piece from my friend Mr. Ebay for around $23.00. I was told that Wells makes the TFI's for Ford. I personally have no bloody idea.

Any suggestions? Also, this is hopefully going to fix it, but nothing is in stone.

Reply #73
I've always run a msd coil with no issue ...... But m.s.d has always meant  my spark died lol

As for tfi they always go out no matter what brand it's just how soon lol

I really don't trust autozone stuff though

Reply #74
I have heard that as well.