Skip to main content
Topic: Still having an issue...UPDATE... (Read 8748 times) previous topic - next topic

Still having an issue...UPDATE...

Reply #75
Vinny that is the first thing i said. As far a aftermarket stuff it is . All these high output coils SUCK and that is why i use original ford stuff. With this is your TFI remote?? And does it have a giant heat sink. better do that along with a FORD COIL. Hope this fixes your issue Good luck Tom

:poke::poke:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #76
X2 on the heat sink and remote mounting.

I'd get a Ford piece, or else Wells if they do make 'em for FoMoCo.

Good luck with her...you must be half bald from pulling your hair out over the matter..
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #77
My TFI is not a remote unit, although I have one on the shelf. Not sure how to convert it.....

After everything else I've had to do lately, I am not sure I can even afford a Motorcraft coil. Those are not cheap. My funds do NOT come from my paycheck, and no cheating is allowed. I can score a TFI from Motorcraft or Wells, but the coil....gotta come up with something else. I'll double check Ebay.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #78
Here is what i use. A remote 6.5 Chevy PMD remote heat sink.

I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #79
I have a remote heat sink from a '95 Mustang GT....just don't know how to get it from the distributor to the heat sink and make it work.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #80
Remote TFI
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #81
Doesn't work for me. I'm not a member. There's got to be another write up with some clear, made for a 5 year old easy to understand pics. LOL.

Reply #82
Vinny it is a snap a few wires and you are dun. I also use one of the existing mounting holes to strain relieve the wiring harness i build for the conversion. It is like 3 wires at best. If memory serves me a late model dizzy and arness is a plug and play.

:flame:

Reply #83
Vinnie, I'm not a member there either, but I can see the forum....weird..
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #85
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;406673
I see it, although I had to click the "show full version" link. Or try this.

Nope. Not for me. I've said it before and I'm saying it again....I do NOT do electrical diagrams. Something about them do not click for me.

Looks like I'm staying with the TFI on the distributor. No hablo electrical stuff like that.

Reply #86
Quote from: TOM Renzo;406660
Vinny that is the first thing i said. As far a aftermarket stuff it is . All these high output coils SUCK and that is why i use original ford stuff. With this is your TFI remote?? And does it have a giant heat sink. better do that along with a FORD COIL. Hope this fixes your issue Good luck Tom

:poke::poke:

As Tom said get some Motorcraft ignition parts. They are the best. The aftermarket stuff really is  compared to the Motorcraft stuff.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #87
I'm ordering a Motorcraft TFI tonight.

Reply #88
Vinny i know you are not an electric DUDE. But why do you think Ford remote mounted it from the factory on later cars.

Reply #89
Ford mounted them away from the distributor due to heat issues.......Now notice the first three words I typed...."Ford Mounted them"....Vinnie doesn't do electrical diagrams. Not a big secret. I'm a step by step, have to have it explained like I'm 4 years old, kind of electrical person.

I bought the heat sink version from the '95 Stang because I wanted to do it like that on my car. But after seeing the diagram.....I said it isn't going to happen. It's not three wires and you're done.