Skip to main content
Topic: Still having an issue...UPDATE... (Read 8746 times) previous topic - next topic

Still having an issue...UPDATE...

Reply #120
Quote from: Aerocoupe;406884
Finally got back to the house, flying in inclement weather still sucks.  Anyhow, the stuff I got at Radio Shack is called "Arctic Silver 5" and here is the listing:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2216879

Expensive but so far it has worked really well.

Darren

Darren, thanks a lot. I'll look into that online if possible.. Our local Radio Shack just closed it's doors a couple of months ago and was replaced by some other name electronic store.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #121
They have their own website here:

http://www.articsilver.com

Pretty sure you can find it anywhere online though.  Good luck and man that was some cold ass weather up in Tulsa this weekend!  I was sooo glad the Chili Bowl is indoors.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #122
I had a stew bowl tonight when I got home from work. LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #123
I would think that you could order it from newegg or tigerdirect.

I'm off tomorrow, I think I'll dig up my 3.8 wiring and track down the TFI pertinent part and see what we have to work with. I do know I kept the TFI and heat sink from it. Seems like the MN12 cars had the TFI remoted too...not sure if those were just the 3.8 cars, as I've not been around a 5.0 MN12 long enough to ever worry about the TFI.

Hopefully Vinnie, you've got it nailed down...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #124
I'm hoping so as well. And I do believe that the MN-12 5.0's did have remote mounted TFI's. When I hit the yard next time, I'm going to start grabbing them all.

Reply #125
I think I'll grab 3 or 4 to convert mine over as well. I was going to go to the yards tomorrow, but it's way too cold and I've got some other things here that must be done, maybe next Monday I can plan a trip down...Mondays are about the only day I can go as it's my only day off without the kids. The rest of the time, either the wife and I are both working, or there's no sitter. No biggie though. There's still lots of time to work on cars :)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #126
Quote from: vinnietbird;406895
I had a stew bowl tonight when I got home from work. LOL.

"Who wants chowder?"

Reply #127
Don't forget the TAURUS AS WELL.

The tune people????????????????????
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #128
hey vinnie,
does your number 1 and 6 distributor wire boots point straight at the fire wall?
at 10deg btc, you should be able to end up with this as your final adjustment.  think like using a square or a T, both posts should point directly at the fire wall.

i really do not know what to say about not being able to run lower than 12deg btc,, but your saying now its ok.  very odd.  only thing i can think of would be the dizzy being off one tooth to the ccw direction.
Im not too keen on the msd stuff because the oem spark system in just my opinion far exceeds the requirements.  I think the oem is something like 18kv on the secondary.  i guess this ties in the tune part of it.

Reply #129
None of my wires point at the firewall. And I couldn't get it to run right at lower timing before the new coil. I think it'll be different with a properly functioning coil.

Reply #130
Quote from: vinnietbird;406888
Passenger side. .

then to relocate like you want, there will be no splices needed and its very likely you could even relocate next to the air intake tube where it generally cool.
,, next to the aire filter.  Id guess that if you took laser temp readings the skin of the car would be warmer towards the area to the rear right strut tower than up forward near the air filter.  just brain storming....... the best place inside the bay would most certainly be the coolest part of the car and it would be neat to discover where this is.

Reply #131
have you guys thought out the connector needed to tie in the stator?

in my minds eye i was thinking of three male spad connectors arranged with wire inserted directly into a spare stator on the work bench.
the stator has three female spade connections molded into the heat dispation silicone base.

next using something similar to a match box, layout the connectors & wire while plugged into the stator then pour in two part epoxy.  this would build the connector to plug up to the stator.  the issue i see with this and have seen since the beginning is how to keep the stator plugged in since our cars are provisioned with bolt down connection.

idealy you would want to gut a defective TFI and use the case  as an integration device such that it would hold your glue ect but if i recall correctly, the darn thing is already full of glue / epoxy.

Reply #132
Quote from: TOM Renzo;406923
Don't forget the TAURUS AS WELL.

The tune people????????????????????

what do you suggest?, with the assumption that the vehicle has plug wires , plugs, misc all reqired parts that pass to generate spark, what precautions are in play with the tune?

Reply #133
Given the post above it's gotta be some cultural reference :)
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #134
oh,, well im not blonde but i feel like it now,, lol,, and i still dont get it.