Skip to main content
Topic: power door locks "auto lock" (Read 2923 times) previous topic - next topic

power door locks "auto lock"

well, i finally got two ~newer~ door lock solenoids installed that were shipped to me by one of our members nearly a year and a half ago.

I had bought the 20th back in 2007 and shortly after that the driver side went out then ultimatly the pass side.

i had totally forgotten the feature where when you go from park or revers and then shift into "D", the door auto locked.

not all cougs/birds have this feature, not sure what sub-system is controlling it however thats not mind boggling, i can figure that part out.

im just thinking out loud here,, i like how it works.
on newer cars, the auto lock doesnt really happen until you reach a certain MPH,, this setup is more static and simple,,, simple i like.

thats all,,,, just thought id mention this.

Reply #1
There is a weight sensor under the front seat. As long as a 50+lb weight is in the drivers seat and the shifter is moved past reverse the doors will automatically lock. I've looked at the sensor when I had the front seats in my car out to be recovered. It's basically just a strip of metal under the seat cushion. I know it can be disabled by pressing a certain button after entering your keyless entry code on the door. I'd have to check the owners manual for you if you want to know what button to press to disable it.

I do like the system better than the newer reach a certain speed and the car locks system. Both the Focus and Mustang have this newer system. Did you know that if your Cougar autolocks and you open the door with the car running, get out of the car, leave the door open, and then get back in a shut the door that the car will automatically lock it self again? It also has a fail safe in place to keep you from locking the doors with the car running and in park. If you open the door with the car running, lock it and then shut it the door the car will pop the lock since their is no weight in the driver's seat. Pretty neat eh?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Please look at which button disables the feature, my TC has it and was an auto car but is now a manual and it will lock but not unlock by itself. Kinda sucks because i forget about it all the time and it never fails that when i do i need to open the passenger door.

Reply #3
Quote from: thunderjet302;402373
There is a weight sensor under the front seat. As long as a 50+lb weight is in the drivers seat and the shifter is moved past reverse the doors will automatically lock. I've looked at the sensor when I had the front seats in my car out to be recovered. It's basically just a strip of metal under the seat cushion. I know it can be disabled by pressing a certain button after entering your keyless entry code on the door. I'd have to check the owners manual for you if you want to know what button to press to disable it.

I do like the system better than the newer reach a certain speed and the car locks system. Both the Focus and Mustang have this newer system. Did you know that if your Cougar autolocks and you open the door with the car running, get out of the car, leave the door open, and then get back in a shut the door that the car will automatically lock it self again? It also has a fail safe in place to keep you from locking the doors with the car running and in park. If you open the door with the car running, lock it and then shut it the door the car will pop the lock since their is no weight in the driver's seat. Pretty neat eh?

the weight sensor could actually be made from a riding mower seat engine kill switch
our lincoln has the same anti-lock out feature...plus I believe ours wont lock, if the keys are in the ignition even if the car is off. I never tested it, but it said it did it in the manual.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #4
I disabled mine by unplugging the weight sensor under the seat.

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick:

Reply #5
Quote from: fordguy545;402383
I disabled mine by unplugging the weight sensor under the seat.
I may have to go that route. I did a search and found out what sequence I needed, but it doesnt seem to be disabling the feature.

Reply #6
I'm going to test the keys in the switch thing with car off and see what happens tomorrow.

Reply #7
Quote from: thunderjet302;402373

something i noticed today,, my son got out on the pass side which was locked.,, car was in park, car was running.....
He came back over to get back in but the door was locked.???????

i just blew it off but i think i saw it happen twice now,, its like the door locked itself when he closed it even though my column shifter was in park.
does this also sound accurate?
I like this safety feature as well.  seems like a rather "keep it simple stupid" design.

Reply #8
None of my cars ever had that feature.  I never knew it existed.  Learned something new today.  Thanks
Mike

Reply #9
The only lock that will keep itself from locking (with the car running and in park) is the driver's side door lock. Apparently the system doesn't care about the passenger side lock. The system also only works with the engine running. I can lock the car with the keys in the ignition and the car off easily. The system is apparently not as smart as newer systems.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
My car does not unlock itself with the car running if I step out with the door locked
Granted you have to intentionally locked the door again but still
So what is broke that I need to fix guys

My car also does not unlock itself with the car off if I leave the keys in the ignition

Reply #11
Mine doesn't unlock itself with the keys in the ignition and the car off. If it's running it won't let me lock the door. The key is that the car must have autolocked itself. If not the system doesn't care. I have no idea how you would fix it, as I'm not quite sure how the system works.

Reply #13
My third Cougar has the auto lock feature engaged.  The lock solenoids will kick every time I shift through neutral.  When I got the car, lock solenoids in both doors were shot.  I may be wrong, but I believe that the auto lock feature will cause premature solenoid failure.  The solenoids kick whether the doors are already locked or not, and everytime I turn around somewhere or back up, the solenoids engage.  I estimate that they are being engaged four or five times more frequently than if I was just locking and unlocking the doors when I get in or out.  Due to the price of these things and issues with availability, I would think this feature should not be turned on.  Even if you manually lock the doors after getting in, you will still double or triple the life of your solenoids.  And to extend the solenoid life even more, you can push the lock down when exiting, and use the key to unlock the door, which will leave the passenger door locked and totally bypass using the solenoids.

Reply #14
thats not the point,
not interrested in life span, more interested in functionality of the orginal features sold.

do your ((or anyones)) car coug or bird ***NOT** let you lock your keys in your car???????????