Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel Pump Replacement on my Cougar (Read 4957 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel Pump Replacement on my Cougar

Took the Cougar out tonight for the first time in a few months.  After cruising the countryside for 20 minutes or so I came back into town and stopped at Wal-Mart on my way back home.  When I came out the car wouldn't start.  It tried to a few times, but once it caught I had to work the gas pedal like crazy to keep it going.  I did get it going once long enough to go a few more blocks, but it died at a stop sign.  Eventually, I ran the battery down and I had to push the car off the road and hoof it 2 miles back to my house.  Good thing I need the exercise.

My guess is I have  in my fuel.  The car has been sitting a lot, and it only has 3 gallons in the tank.  It has probably been 9 months or more since I filled up.  So I'm thinking a fuel filter to get it home and then maybe a tank flush or replacement after that? (and then start driving the darn thing more!)

Any other ideas or things to check?  Hopefully tomorrow I can at least get it going long enough to get it back home.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #1
Fuel pump. I'd try a few gallons of fresh gas and a filter first, but listen for the pump to prime and see if you hear it or not. I had that happen twice. Fuel pump both times.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Check for spark and fuel.

If I had to guess, I would second everything Vinny said.
...and there was light!

Reply #3
...Just went through this scenario with another late '80s Ford a week ago.  Likely the MAP sensor.  In the 88 3.8 T-Bird it is mounted on the back firewall on the passenger side.  Disconnect the vacuum hose and the engine should run (maybe).  I replaced it in the other Ford and the car acted like nothing ever happened.  How something that small and otherwise unnoticed can wreak so much havoc---I dunno.  I replaced the battery in the car because it was ancient and I thought it was not putting out enough voltage (wrong).  Picture:

JR

Reply #4
I thank you much for the input.  I'm just an amateur hack, so I appreciate the chance to learn something from people who know more than I do.

I added a little more gas and changed the fuel filter.  That wasn't the problem.  And I can hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key.

I also disconnected the vacuum hose from the MAP sensor, but that didn't make any difference.  The one on there looks like it could be original, so I will probably go ahead and get a new one here shortly.  Probably just try a cheap one, though.  Looks like I can get a BWD at Advance Auto for about $31 with online 20% off coupon code.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
I would check the fuel pressure with a gauge, not just by the sound of the pump.  A weak pump may still prime but not give you enough pressure.  Also, the short hose attached to the pump may be split allowing your fuel pressure to bleed off back into the tank.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #6
Mine did the same thing. I ended up replacing a 'J' shaped piece of rubber hose on my fuel pump. It was so rotted away that I had no fuel pressure. Cost about 2 bucks and took less than an hour.

Reply #7
Yeah, I think that is the next step, too. MAP sensor didn't do anything.  I talked to the mechanic of the family and he said fuel pressure was the first thing that came to mind.  Like Loaded87IROC and kevbey, he also mentioned that short hose right outside the tank, saying it has been known to rot.

The thing I don't get about that hose is, if it was bad wouldn't gas come running down under the car after turning the key on and/or cranking for awhile?

Either way, replacing that hose or the pump requires removing the tank, no?  I don't really feel like doing that on the side of the road, so I guess the next order of business is to tow the thing home.  I know that the 2000 Ford Taurus wasn't designed with towing in mind, but surely it can tow a Cougar across 2 miles of city streets if we go slow in low gear?  The harder thing might be finding a good place to anchor.  I don't have a tow rope, but it will probably be a good investment to buy one.

This is the downside of moving to a town where you don't know anyone.  It leaves a guy short on buddies to call up when this kind of stuff happens.  My wife is probably not going to be thrilled about being a part of this. :disappoin
But she's a pretty good sport.

Anyhow, thanks again for the input.  I'll keep you posted.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
Yep, gotta drop the tank to swap the pump, THAT is why I added the panel in the trunk to access the pump. Those "bleepin'" times when you're stuck in some area where you really don't have a good place to drop it.....especially if the tank is full.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
Sorry, I should have mentioned that the hose is located on the fuel pump inside the tank.

Reply #10
Vinnie - I was thinking that an access panel would be helpful when I was working on mine. Can you give me any info on what you did to create yours?  Possibly have any pics or measurements you'd be willing to share?

Reply #11
You aren't going to drop the tank without further diagnosis are you? I would be sure that is the problem before I went that far, so far you really haven't done any kind of diagnosis besides pulling that vacuum line off.

Very first two things I would do is stick a fuel pressure gauge on there and make sure it is or isn't reaching the proper pressure. Literally takes seconds and you can buy a gauge for like $40. I would also make sure spark is reaching your spark plugs (pull spark plug out, leave it attached to plug wire, ground the plug out on one of the brackets on the front of your engine, then have someone turn the car over and see if the plug is actually getting fire).
...and there was light!

Reply #12
Also, pulling the error codes would have told you if the MAP was bad.

Reply #13
Well it was a hassle, but the car is back in my driveway.  It will be a few days before I have the time to mess with it again.

T-BirdX3, O'Reilly offers a fuel pressure gauge as a loaner tool.  So I will be checking that out.

softtouch, I should get more familiar with pulling codes, though I don't have a scanner.  A few years back, I tried the deal with the jumper wire in the plug and the check engine light.  It didn't really help with whatever the problem was at that time, and I've just never done it since.  But it probably would have been (and still might be) a good idea for this problem.

Thanks again for the help, I will post an update after I have a chance to check the other things.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #14
Code scanner at O'Reillys is about $30.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp