Skip to main content
Topic: 2007 Ford Freestyle Crossover (looking for opinions) (Read 2368 times) previous topic - next topic

2007 Ford Freestyle Crossover (looking for opinions)

So my wifes Ford Edge lease is up, and i dont want to lease again.  I was looking to cut expenses, so i am eyeballing the 2007 Freestyle crossover from Ford.  I checked out a local one at a dealer and its a Limited, (loaded) model. DVD system for the kiddies, Nav system and 3rd row seating for 7 passenger seating. Its like one part wagon, one part Mini-van and one part SUV.  Very nice looking car, and one of the nicest interiors i have seen on a Ford.  Anyone here own one or have experience with them?  I read all the obvious internet reviews, and i was looking for some thoughts from you all.  They retail used for around 10-12K with 70-100K on the clock.  Its a lot of car for the money.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #1
Make sure the car has its maintenance records for the transmission. Whether it has CVT or 6-speed, both trans' are fussy about maintenance, and they'll always burn the rear brakes faster than the front. Steer away from AWD unless you really need it.

Reply #2
No direct experience, but by wife's best friend has 2005 that she bought new and she still has it and loves it. My neighbor had a 2005 model and must have really liked it because he just traded it in to get a 2008 model (Taurus X) a couple of weeks ago. His '05 had the CVT transmission and he had me drive it one day to "experience" it. My first impression of the CVT tranny was mixed and I think it would take some getting used to it.

I have a love/hate relationship with the built-in Ford navigations. Both my LS and my wife's Mountaineer have the factory nav's. I love the convenience of having them being built-in, and not having to have our TomTom suction-cupped to the window (I don't like clutter in my car). But there are two things that bug me about them. You cannot input much at all into the nav while the car is moving so for most things you have to be completely stopped. If you want to update to the latest map data, the update disc will cost you $200.00. I can understand a $50-$75 update, but $200 is just too steep IMHO.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #3
If you get one with heated seats, stock up on lower seat heater elements and hog rings. I make so much money replacing them it's not even funny. Diag and repair pays me 4 hours (by the service labor time standards book) , it takes me 35 minutes.

Reply #4
If you've read the internet reviews on the longevity of the CVT trans and the cost of replacement, you've probably found the answer already.

Reply #6
thanks guys, i appreciate the input and advice.......this forum is the best.

Reply #7
here are some pics of the car:
Its a fully loaded Limited model with Nav system and DVD entertainment system for the family. 

Reply #8
slight change of plans.....this looks like the car we are getting.....

Reply #9
i like them, but will hold out for a taurus X version eventually. 3.5 engine and a 6 speed rather than the cvt
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Reply #10
Quote from: ramair351;399401
i like them, but will hold out for a taurus X version eventually. 3.5 engine and a 6 speed rather than the cvt

the price difference for a 2008/9 Taurus X with comparable equipment is 5-7K more costly, and it would be nice to have a later version, but the only equipment difference is the intro of Ford's Sync bluetooth. Aside from the engine and tranny changes.

Reply #11
The trans difference is less than you think. Freestyle had both a CVT and a 6 speed. The early 6 speeds were the aisin 6-speed, and we don't like those. The Taurus X loses the CVT (a pity if you ask me, the CVT made the 3.0 seem bigger and use less fuel) and switches to the 6F50 Trans, a better unit overall at least in the Taurus and Taurus X. The units in 10 and newer Fusion and Escape are plagued with internal seal problems, which I've been told is a factory assembly issue, not a design problem.

Reply #12
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;399411
6F50 Trans, a better unit overall at least in the Taurus and Taurus X. The units in 10 and newer Fusion and Escape are plagued with internal seal problems, which I've been told is a factory assembly issue, not a design problem.

Poo. My parents just bought a 2012 Fusion. I thought the 6 speed auto was pretty reliable.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #13
seems in my part of the country  that the trans issues with the fusions seem to be worked out by 12. We have some reprograms for the tcm's and what not. but. overall seems to be better.

Reply #14
So far it's been fine. Hopefully it stays that way :).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.