Skip to main content
Topic: 2007 Ford Freestyle Crossover (looking for opinions) (Read 2367 times) previous topic - next topic

2007 Ford Freestyle Crossover (looking for opinions)

Reply #16
umm, ok. i guess you dont know. i work at a ford dealer also.

Reply #17
I've seen the seal, I've heard the explanation. Its a manpower problem, seals don't tear or rip themselves. Strategies can't do that, and we've seen it too many times for it to be a separate problem. They leak internally, and burn up.  There's an updated piston, which is supposed to be the fix.

Reply #18
So Ford tech's whats the consensus about repairs/issues on my Freestyle?  What are the most common issues you have seen?  Also, do you guys know if the wiring for the headliner mounted DVD player is present in these cars if i want to add a stock unit?  I have the factory Nav unit if that matters. 

This is what i discovered so far:
this is from a Freestyle Forum:

I have it working with the stock audiophile stereo. First I purchased a 2005 Freestyle DVD off of ebay (important because each player is wired different depending upon the car it is going into). I also bought a wiring diagram book for a 2005 Freestyle. Using that, I found the two connectors in the pillars and spliced into those wires. The 12V + and the CAN BUS +/- wires were in the passenger side A pillar. The stereo L/R inputs and 12V ground were in the passenger side D pillar.

OK, pinouts for the 16 Pin Connector in the passenger A Pillar (about half way up, the plastic cover just unsnaps):

Pin 4 & 11 = White/Black = Medium Speed Bus +
Pin 5 & 12 = Black/Yellow = Medium Speed Bus -
Pin 6 = Light Green = 12 Volt + Always On

6 Pin Connector near the top of the passenger D Pillar (just under the roof liner near the rear hatch; one screw and pull the plastic cover):

Pin 1 = Bare Wire = Left & Right Aux Input Channel Shields
Pin 2 = White = Left Aux Input Channel +
Pin 3 = Light Green = Left Aux Input Channel -
Pin 4 = Red = Right Aux Input Channel +
Pin 5 = Black = Right Aux Input Channel -
Pin 6 = Black/Orange = 12 Volt - (Ground)

Once I hooked up the DVD, when I press the AUX button on the audiophile headunit, it says DVD/CD and allows the DVD to function.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #19
i'm not doubting you at all, i was just saying it seems the 12's seem to have held up better so far.... alot of the  issues we get seems to be a man power issue at this point. i cant tell you how many 2.3/2.5/2.0 crank seals/timing cover gaskets i've done lately. 

as far as adding a factory dvd, i have no idea. never had a freestyle apart in that area to know.
i havent really worked on a whole hell of alot of them, they didnt sell well around here, the taurus x seemed to fair a little better in sales. the cvt's are hit and miss. i've seen a few puke out rack and pinions. strut bearings will make some noise once they get  in them.

i cant remember if there was a tsb/ssm on this, but the cars have a rack limiter that is placed between the knuckle and caliper bracket, keep that lubed with brake grease. that will help with noise.  other then the obvious, keeping the caliper slides clean/brakes free. i cant really say ive seen anything to crazy.

Reply #20
As you've discovered, the DVD player is a module on the Ms-can, in some configurations, the acm will play nice, in others, not So much. I also can't speak to whether the harness will be in the headliner. If not you CAN build it, but they are sensitive to shielding, so be sure to shield the low levels. In some cases you'll need the acm programmed with different as-built data, and then you're spoofing, which can get a bit murky. Still, it can be done, it HAS been done. The potential obstacle is the mounting, which i'm almost certain is NOT there.

Reply #21
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;399618
As you've discovered, the DVD player is a module on the Ms-can, in some configurations, the acm will play nice, in others, not So much. I also can't speak to whether the harness will be in the headliner. If not you CAN build it, but they are sensitive to shielding, so be sure to shield the low levels. In some cases you'll need the acm programmed with different as-built data, and then you're spoofing, which can get a bit murky. Still, it can be done, it HAS been done. The potential obstacle is the mounting, which i'm almost certain is NOT there.

this is from the Freestyle forum:
These shots are a factory installed player.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #22
It's that cast mount you won't have. You can get it and figure out how to attach it. You'll probably have to build the harness, too, because buying one is probably not an option. they hot glue them down to the headliner which will cause any used one to be nearly destroyed in the removal.  In the end, you're probably better off getting a used headliner, that way you get the harness and the hole is already cut.  You may even be able to get the mount at the same time.