Skip to main content
Topic: Too late to turn back now (Garage Construction) (Read 3012 times) previous topic - next topic

Too late to turn back now (Garage Construction)

I've started to build the garage.

Here's an idea what it's going to look like. Where it says 30 it should say 32 and the 12 should be a 10.

Re: Too late to turn back now

Reply #1
Intresting.  Poured walls?  Looks nice.  So what other advanced construcion methods are you using.  So is there any plans for a lift?  Good deal on the 28' deep.  Ours is 44'x22' and it leaves alot to be desired.
One 88

Reply #2
I had a contractor come in and do the footings and the walls. Code here requires a 4' frost wall. They are coming back when I have it closed in from the weather to pour the floor.

No advanced construction methods, other than preengineered roof trusses, if you can call that advanced.

I'm just going with 8' walls and 10" concrete so there's not enough height for a lift. Wish I could though :(

Reply #3
Wow 10" of concrete is alot.  Ours is like 6".  Most schools and large buildings go with 14" though.  Throw as much gridwork in that thing as will fit.  More than likely it will crack but lots of reinforcment will keep it from spreading apart.  Mine has a crack in it but it can only be seen not felt.
One 88

Reply #4
Oh, great. I'm actually jealous of a Newfie. Surely a sign of the end of the world :D

Nice garage, Thundergrowl - just think, pretty soon you'll have bodyfill dust covering the entire inside :D With a garage like that, your Sport had better soon be MINT!!!
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
Quote from: CougarSE
Wow 10" of concrete is alot.  Ours is like 6".  Most schools and large buildings go with 14" though.

I guess i did a bad job explaining myself. The 10" is the hieght of the concrete above the floor so the total wall height is 8'10" - not enough for a lift. The concrete walls are 8" thick which is code and the floor will be 4" thick with 4" mesh.

Thanks for the compliment Thunder Chicken. Nova Scotians should always be jealous of Newfies - they just aren't smart enought to realize it :) As for the sport ever being mint :( dought that's ever going to happen. But it's going to be a great place for it's replacement, once I pay off some debt. :deal:

Reply #6
like the depth. most garages are just to short to use with a car inside. My 65 mustang is a small car at it is over 18 feet long bumper to bumper add 2 feeet of walk around thats 22 feet with the door closed.
Baylensman 97 XR7

Reply #7
Originally the depth was to make the garage the same as the house but then I realized I would have room in front of the cars to put a bench and do some work. I'm thinking about putting a bench in front of one bay and leave the space in front of the other bay (for engine stand, compressor, etc.). How long is a t-bird from it's beek to it's tailfeathers anyway?

Reply #8
Well, the inspector just visited and it passed so now I can backfill. Bring on the excavator :)

Reply #9
17 foot or so long about 6 feet wide.
http://www.coolcats.net/fox/1987.html
good luck and show us some pics or fresh paint!
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
Really! I would have though it to be longer than that considering Baylensman said his 65 'stang was over 18'

Reply #11
well 200 divided by 12 is 16.66666 something. YOu would still wants around 2 feet infront and back.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #12
Quote from: thundergrowl
Really! I would have though it to be longer than that considering Baylensman said his 65 'stang was over 18'

He must have some sort of special limo model, as the specs I have for a '65 Stang are 181.6" (15ft 1in).

Dealer album for the '88 Birds list length at 202.1"(16ft 10in)..

Making Progress

Reply #13
Pic 1: Beginning of day 1, pic 2: end of day 2, and pic 3: end of day three.

My brother is doing the work for me so it's slow going. Roof trusses should be here sometime after July 4th.

Re: Too late to turn back now (Garage Construction)

Reply #14
I am hideously jealous. I desperately need a 2+ car garage here.. but the lot and the house make it a little too awkward to place one without blocking a significant portion of the view from the front of the house.