Skip to main content
Topic: Crown Vic steering problem (Read 4332 times) previous topic - next topic

Crown Vic steering problem

Reply #1
Hmm, I can't really imagine a safety system such as steering being so dependent on a single piece of plastic...

Reply #2
Did you see the shape of them? Look like about 4 lbs. of rust.

Reply #3
I did notice that, yes.  It looked like a moving part that seems to have been completely ignored.

Reply #4
Quote from: 86cougar;398088
Did you see the shape of them? Look like about 4 lbs. of rust.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Introducing logic into a topic that the Montgomery Co. MD cops have brought to our attention... for shame, for shame
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #5
with the amount of crown vic/marquis' on the road..  I wonder how many will have this issue.  I am almost sure that there wouldnt be a difference between the P71 and the standard car as far as the steering shaft.

Reply #6
I just took my steering shaft out about a week ago, it's 26 years old and it looked a lot better than the one in the film. Mine has leather in place of plastic, and even that makes me nervous. I also only saw one guy in that big a$$ shop (doing the inspection). They might think about hiring a few mechanics (budget, budget, budget). I noticed the paint jobs look good! Guess all that really matters is that they look good when they loose control in a high speed chase.... Who's checking the oil?? So... if your on the wrong side of the law and your trying to lose a cop, just head for a wall or a hill and make a hard right(??).  GEEZ!!!

Reply #7
I service some vickies and never had this issue!!! But those joints are not greasible and cant be replaced. The newer joints eliminated the traditional rag joints. But we do see these joints bind up on freights and other steering sectors. Even if they are heavily rusted the upper steering shaft should never disconnect or have a plastic coupling. Personally i have never had an upper steering sector apart on a vickie. But a plastic  connector part. NOT GOOD!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #8
Yeah, I am thinking it is a combination of hard fleet service, poor maintenance and poor design.  As Tom said, these joints are not greasible, but that doesn't mean that they can't be checked for wear, binding or excessive corrosion.  That being said, I cannot for the life of me, figure out why there would EVER be a plastic coupler in such a critical system... and certainly not buried within the column where it is even less likely to be noticed.

Reply #9
Just like nylon cam gears in the older GM 3800's and in the 302 That I used to build the motor in my bird from. Nylon cam gears with a chain.. Who was the person that thought "Gee, vital part...... Ima make it out of plastic. yep plastic thatll make it a few miles."

Reply #10
Lol, rag joints aren't any  better of an idea. Mine in the Stang is toast...least I can get new ones for pretty cheap.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #11
hmm. a vic with a intermediate steering shaft issue. what a surprise......

maybe if they would have felt the binding in the steering shaft for the last 6 months and reported it to be fixed. they wouldn't have broken the plastic in the steering column.

making news out of lack of maint.

Reply #12
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;398184
Lol, rag joints aren't any  better of an idea. Mine in the Stang is toast...least I can get new ones for pretty cheap.

A failed rag joint is not even close having the same kinds of safety issues though. In the first place, rag joints are well known components that any competent mechanic or owner can routinely checkup on, since it is quite visible.  Secondly, even if a rag joint were to completely fail, the "fingers" would likely provide enough interference that completely and total loss of control is not anywhere near as likely. Lastly, rag joints can be replaced by solid joints similar to products by flaming river and others.

Reply #13
It's been a known problem for years now. All Crown Vics from 1995+ have a steering shaft like that. The ball joints get loose or rusty and start binding. Never heard of the plastic part that can break though.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #14
It's neglect, plain and simple. I've replaced lots of these, just like any other part, and now that NHTSA is involved, that's going to be their conclusion, too.