Skip to main content
Topic: Crown Vic steering problem (Read 4333 times) previous topic - next topic

Crown Vic steering problem

Reply #15
Rag joints are a pain fore sure. But they will not cause a steering failure. This issue is big real big. And FOE better get ready for the RECALL. Seems like you will be doing a bunch of replacements on this part as a dealer TECH FOE. Get your wrenches warmed UP. Bet they have a recall on the plastic part as well. Those joints should be better designed. People live in snow states and damp climates. Ford and all the other companies should know this is an issue.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #16
You maybe right.  I don't think NHTSA is going to find need for a recall, but if they do, I'll have to be ready for it.  I'm already doing a least 3 Freestar torque converters a week, 20 or more Escape ABS power overlay harnesses, and many more Escape engine cover mod recalls.  Whats a few steering shafts here and there?

Reply #18
it says you can have your checked and replaced if necessary at no cost at a ford dealership.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #19
Well GM has had problems with there Intermediate Steering Shaft in their W-bodies from 99-current.  The Impala from 2000-2005(7th Generation) and the 2006-2013(8th generation) were used as police also.  The problem with GM's is lack of lubrication after awhile and when they start going you can feel everything through the steering wheel.  Kind of feels like the front-end is falling out from under the car.  I do not even believe the "updated" ISS they came up with fixed the problem either.

It's unfortunate that these things have to go this far in order to have a recall!  The average consumer can complain until there blue in the face about the quality of parts design but until you start getting casualties there is no problem?  Look at the Ford Windstar vans having the entire ass-end collapsing from corrosion and unfortunately killing a few people.  Ford did a buy-back on some of those vans; some up to 10 years old at the time!