Skip to main content
Topic: no brakes!!!! (Read 3381 times) previous topic - next topic

no brakes!!!!

Reply #16
check out my diy  link below, i put in the EVTM page a troubleshooting process but glad  you found your issue.

no brakes!!!!

Reply #17
i ordered a new relay today. the ford one is discontinued, but i found a NOS one at another ford dealer. one from napa or carquest were a couple days away too and similar in price. so it looks like i am driving my py truck for a little while longer...
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

no brakes!!!!

Reply #18
That is what i was trying to tell you in a nice way. My sales people have a better relay for that application. But what the heck do i KNOW!!!!

If for some reason FOE does not understand that those old relays were coated with some sort of expensive alloy. Not sure what it was but it kept the contacts clean. Today's relays are not as good because the coating is not their. Hazardous waste i am told.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

no brakes!!!!

Reply #19
tt
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

no brakes!!!!

Reply #20
the old F19Z  green fuel pump relays, got superceded by ford a few years back into a cheap chinese generic relay, they even changed the base number from 9345 to 14n135. and they were JUNK. i wouldnt even sell them to walk in customers, i stocked a premium NAPA relay. so i agree there is a vast difference in quality of relays,  i figure i cant go wrong with OE if its still avail ( like mentioned, it lasted 25 yrs) . if i couldnt have gotten OE, i may have tried an aftermarket one for now, but have started looking for a used oe also!  I should get it tomorrow, and be able to install it tomorrow evening.
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

no brakes!!!!

Reply #21
You see 351 that is where me and my staff stay up nights thinking about modifications. Example the fuel pump assembly on GM cars(early ones ) lasted forever other than the FUEL PUMPS. Gm has a replacement and so does the aftermarket. But WAIT!!! It sucks the CHINA unit fails all the time. So with GM not making the unit and the vehicles OBSOLETE and old they do not give a shiznit!!! So my mind has to take over. My TYPHOON is a real nice TRUCK and as fast as HELL. But no pump assembly available. So my brain came up with a MOD. But how many people out their can do mods??? Clearly people on this site can and they do a great job!! But the average guy and local shops do not have a clue. The shops tell customers they replaced the entire unit and that is all that is available. Then they shrug their shoulders. Or some tell customers to see RENZO or others with VISION ON THESE ISSUES. So here is the fix below. So as 351 points out the replacement relay is JUNK and FOE does not understand things wont last any more as was built years ago a new and heavy duty relay replacement was necessary in my view. Or better YET remove the ABS as it is not something worth saving anyway. Thanks

The problem????

The FIX!!!

Move the grounds and double up on the connectors for the PUMP!!!

no brakes!!!!

Reply #22
wow.    just to clarify i was saying OE not FOE
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

no brakes!!!!

Reply #24
Enough, you two.  It doesn't have to be a g contest every time you both chime in on a topic.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

no brakes!!!!

Reply #26
Lets not get crazy i was not being negative. Just pointing out how replacement parts can be superseded and junk. Not trying to out do anyone. Here is another example. When doing a final drive we always use TIMKEN BEARINGS. The Chinese bearings are junk. Just another example of how parts change and as consumers and car builders we need to also know what parts to stay away from as well as fixing cars. Another thing is seals. We always use factory seals like PINION SEALS ETC. Sorry for the confusion

no brakes!!!!

Reply #27
tom said,, screw that connector! solder the  thing.

Timken is still king for the moment.. hard to specify a "do not substitute" when ordering though. 
My Ghia bearings are made in germany,,forget the name but its an odd ball name.

The coating on the relays is CPC (Corrosion Prevention Compound) similar to the milspec variety of protection. 
For snits and grins, i may just take an old OEM Bosch apart and lay it beside a china equal unit to see the visual differences.

no brakes!!!!

Reply #28
Quote from: jcassity;398021
...snits and grins

I had hear of sh*ts and giggles before and used it myself.  I love learning new things every day.  I think I'll start using snits and giggles in polite company from now on, thanks.

no brakes!!!!

Reply #29
relay came in today, installed it, now brakes work, happy daily driver again. thanks for the help guys!
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto