Skip to main content
Topic: no brakes!!!! (Read 3458 times) previous topic - next topic

no brakes!!!!

Reply #30
J i did not know the name of that compound or coating Thanks!! I do know using dialectic is out of the question. We tried that on the ABS sensors as instructed by the dealers on frieghts. We got hammered with issues . We now cant use any compound on those connectors. The coating i am talking about is on the relay contacts!!! One of our vendors explained the older relays had a plating of lets say silver on the contacts that is not used any more.  Normally we always solder everything. But the OE is instructed to not solder any more for a couple of years. A few years back i had an argument with one of the authors of Motor Magazine about this. He claimed that solder less connectors are far superior to soldered connections??? So as you know me i mailed him a dozen failed factory crimped connectors that were melted at the crimps. Never heard a single thing from him on this subject again. As usual the author put his head in the sand. In the shop we see bad connections all the time from solder less connectors. I was thinking of making a post on relay and connector devices and their safe amperage capacity. Basically relays are marked like the BOSCH 75A But we never run them any where near that rating. The 5 pr0ng relays are rated at 25 & 30. Once again we never run them any where near the rated capacity. I got in a bind a year ago by wiring 2 fans on one 5 pr0ng and the relay held up perfectly but the fuse holder melted. The car overheated at a show because of this and my name is now MUD. And to top it off the FAN manufacturer provided the fuse holder in the KIT!!! And the setup was like $2000.00 BUCKS. It was a duel fan BE COOL fan assembly. I called them and as usual they said the fuse holder was adequate and they did not have any issues with it. Very embarrassing to have a car at a show with my name on it do this !!!. By the way the fuse holder was rated at 40A a weather pack covered unit and failed at 18A. So i never assume anything any more and i am in the process of complying  a list of connectors and relay capacities. Maybe you can chime in on this problem. And do some research on amp capacity's as i am trying to do. It just might be the materials the vendors are using. And as usual the salesmen cant contact the makers as they most likely are in CHINA. Thanks
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!