Skip to main content
Topic: How do these tie together? (Read 3707 times) previous topic - next topic

How do these tie together?

What's up everyone?

It's been a while.  The car has been a nightmare.  It's going for paint yet again due to bubbling.....

I digress.

I have another issue that isn't a huge one, just a nuisance.
I have the full digital dash with the digital oil pressure monitor.  It usually reads 4 or 5 bars out of a possible 8 which is normal.  I've noticed that the defroster will make the readout read 1 bar higher when it's on.  It's done it for as long as I can remember.  Does it in drive, park, reverse, under a load etc....

Oil pressure is good according to a manual gauge (21 PSI @ hot idle).
The car has the EATC system and I swapped back to the full sending unit and not the dummy unit a couple of years back.

Any ideas?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1
Burn it with fire...... :-)

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #2
sorry, i have seen mine switch up / down with the AC going or even heat but not a steady extra bar.  sounds just like your issue but a little leaner.

Reply #3
Quote from: V8Demon;397633
I have the full digital dash with the digital oil pressure monitor.  It usually reads 4 or 5 bars out of a possible 8 which is normal.  I've noticed that the defroster will make the readout read 1 bar higher when it's on.

Could be a case of thermal changes.  Does it do so immediately or does it take some time before the bar gets incremented?  When you turn off the defroster, is the effect on the bar immediate or does it take several seconds?  Does it matter if the ambient air temp is hot or cool?  If you pull the cluster out of the opening without disconnecting it, start the car and run the defroster, does it still do it?  If so, what happens if you use canned compressed air to chill the cluster?  If you check the wiring for your cluster, does the voltage on the pin coming from the sensor change when you turn on the defroster?

I hope this might help you figure it out.

Reply #4
The delay is less than 1 second.  Ambient temperature does not change this.  I do notice that on humid days -- regardless of temperature it will go to the lower reading.  This gauge like dry air.  I haven't pulled the plastic sheathing back that I put over the wire some time ago.  Perhaps there is a bare spot.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
Quote from: MY83T;397636
Burn it with fire...... :-)

Soon enough.  BTW -- car's gonna need a full repaint.  Bondo never cured correctly.  We picked a couple of bubbles.  Cottage cheese underneath.

Reply #6
Dude WTF!!!!!!!!!! You need a new bodyman. Yesterday. That's disgusting. How much mud is on there!? I sure hope you haven't been paying big money for this so far....
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #7
Looking at the 87 EVTM, the only thing electrical that is unique to defrost is the door actuator for the air plenum. The door is operated by a motor. The motor has a switch that signals when the door is open or closed to the control module. If this switch fails, the motor will try to keep running after the door moves as far as it can go. A stalled or locked armature motor draws more current than a running motor. This extra load may cause a voltage shift that is affecting your oil gauge.
This my best guess.

Reply #8
Quote from: softtouch;397874
A stalled or locked armature motor draws more current than a running motor. This extra load may cause a voltage shift that is affecting your oil gauge.
This my best guess.

If I recall correctly, such a failure would throw a code on your ETC display.  It has been almost a decade since I yanked the ETC out of my '88 LX, but I do recall it throwing a diagnostic code indicating a inop door.

Reply #9
Apologies.  When I referred to the defroster, I meant the rear window defroster.

Reply #10
Now that is a horse of an entirely different breed, let alone color.  The rear window defroster is a low current device anyway, unless there is something wrong with the wiring between the switch and the rear glass. I would think a short would blow the fuse, but without an EVTM, I could not begin to tell you where to start looking, other than to advise that you disconnect the leads to the rear defroster, hit the defrost switch and see if the gauge still acts the same way.  If so, it isn't the defroster itself, but more likely in the wiring or the defroster switch.  Of course, it could also be completely normal.  The way that the digital dash knows what to display is by voltage alone, so it could be that with the engine idling, the alternator simply isn't putting out enough current to operate everything and you see a voltage drop, which your particular cluster might be sensitive enough to display the change in voltage.

Reply #12
I actually DID find the culprit in this.  It was a wire connector for the wires that run directly under the battery tray.  It had become corroded and was allowing stray voltage all over the place.  I removed it and hard-wired everything that runs underneath the tray and rewrapped it all to keep it safe from the elements.  Between this and new grounds all around, I've been issue free electrically for a few months now.

Reply #13
interesting post,,
and to your example,, more paralleled grounds are in my future as well.

I never kicked a code on the eatc though,, my eatc simply flashes all the "F"U lights at me randomly.  a restart of the engine usually cures it.

Reply #14
Thank you for posting an actual update, wish more did.

I was wondering if this cluster needs better grounds.  Whenever I switch on the HVAC fan, my Volt gauge drops a bar instantly.  Does your guys do this??
Mike