Skip to main content
Topic: Transmission lines on an AOD transmission. (Read 3253 times) previous topic - next topic

Transmission lines on an AOD transmission.

Reply #15
I think I had the same issue, my tranny is from an 88 sport and my lines are from an 86 cougar.  its been a few years since I did mine and I probably had the exhaust out of the way when I did it.  I cant remember what exactly I did but I remember it was a pain in the butt... mine does have the brass fittings screwed into the tranny.

Reply #16
You can also cut the line and use a compression fitting to make the job easier. Years ago my DAD did transmissions and he used to cut the lines on the ford units then reconnect them with compression fittings. You can also use flex line coming from the tranny by cutting  5/16 brake line in half put app 4 inches long a bubble flair on the other end. This way you can screw the nipple in the tranny with the inverted flaired brake hose and inverted nut. Then use 3 spring clamps on tranny cooler hose and normally at the starter their is a strain relief their. You can cut the line their  Bubble Flare it then make that point you connection. From that point you can use the stock line configuration. Those ford lines are a bitch. Also go to a parts store and buy a 5/16 inverted flair nut and try and thread it to your tranny inlet and outlet fittings. This will confirm they are not messed up or cross threaded. Those lines have to be exactly square and straight before they thread on. If not you will cross them. Go easy and always make sure you can thread on at least 4 turns of the nut before using a wrench. I use a crows foot flare nut wrench with an extension and a ratchet to tighten them up after i catch them properly good luck
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #17
Well, it rained today but I still got under my car and... I found that brass connector and got under the car and first try by hand, it started to thread into the transmission. I turned it in as far as I could and the male tubing nut did not have enough room to fit in because of that small tube connected to my exhaust (I told you was in the way). So, I disconnected the brass fitting and zip tied the tube fitting to the small tube to pull it back as far as possible, leaving me two hands to work with. I barely got the connector in position and started to turn it, but I could not see if the nut was spinning as well or if it just won't thread. It got too dark to see what I was doing anymore so, tomorrow I should know more. At least I know that the bottom threads on the transmission are alright, if the top are alright also, I should be good. Tom, Thanks for the information about the compression fittings! Also, I appreciate a mechanic verifying that these lines are a bitch. Cool.... there's HOPE!!!

Reply #18
I just went out and tried to thread the line fitting into the brass connector with no luck. I'm going to go buy a couple of compression fittings and try that out. At least I know they will thread into my transmission. Thanks!

Reply #19
Well, I went to the hardware store and the connector I got from the radiator shop has different pitch (threads per inch) than the compression fittings. Is there an automotive compression fitting that your talking about? I'm going to see what I can find at an automotive shop and get the 5/16" inverted flare nut and some tubing.

Reply #20
Hold on, before you go out and get off tanget here.

Reread TOM's response; his recommendation is spot on to get you on track.  In an attempt to clarify what the issue is and what needs to be done: 

As you have found, reinstalling the trans line as you took it apart is not workable due to space limitations and the stiffness of the trans line itself, those two factors pretty much cause it to be impossible to align the fittings. 

Tom's suggestion is to cut the transmission line, so you only have a small piece of line to fish up to the fitting on the trans, which makes aligning the treads much easier (you are no longer fighting the tension of the tubing).  The "trick" (if there is one) is to cut the line in a place where it's easy to use the compression fitting to fit the lines back together. 

The standard hardware store compression fitting will work, as you are just butting the cut line back together.  No other parts or peices should be necessary.

Everyone who's giving suggestions has been in your place and we are empathetic to what a PITA it is!  Good luck!

Reply #22
Now I've got it! Actually, that's quite ingenious! I just realized that with the stuff I've worked on in my past, I just don't think that way (never do this to an aircraft). There is a place right next to the oil pan where the lines drop down (if that's not too far away). Only, I want to try to keep the fitting out of harms way. Sure glad I've got you guy's covering my back!! I really like reading this forum... lot of great guys and like I said before, you guy's really do know your shiznit.

Reply #23
Quote from: 86cougar;397737
... and like I said before, you guy's really do know your shiznit.

We collectively know a lot about a lot of things, but have the bruises, cuts and mangles to prove it. ;)

Reply #24
Not to mention Cutting welding bending gluing bolting fabing crushing prying taping heating and a lot of bad words we have been there a hundred times. Good Luck!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #25
I used flex lines myself..... made life very easy in a short amount of time
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #26
Are you using braided lines? I know that they are a bit on the costly side, but they are probably worth it in the long run. I would imagine them being made for automotive, they would thread right in. OH MAN.... here we go again! Now I'm gonna have to go read up on THAT stuff.... then I'm gonna start thinking... then I'm gonna start dreaming... then I'm gonna start spending more money....