Skip to main content
Topic: Transmission lines on an AOD transmission. (Read 3399 times) previous topic - next topic

Transmission lines on an AOD transmission.

I have to connect the two transmission lines that go to the radiator. My problem is I can only put my car on jack stands and being I am on a creeper I have only about 2.5 " of room to reach in and start threading them in. I took the advice  from "88turbo" and bought a set of tubing wrenches. Part of the exhaust is right in the way, so what I will probably need to do is make some room so I can put some leverage on the nuts. I have everything disconnected all the way to the radiator. I'm sure you guys have done this countless times, so I am wondering how I can make this as easiest as possible with what I have to work with. Thanks!

Reply #1
Sorry guys, I just read this again and it doesn't sound right. The two lines I need to connect are the ones on the passenger side of the transmission, (they really are a "B"). Sounds like I'm having problems hooking up the radiator (lol). Anyway, I figure I'll try the new tool out and if that doesn't work, I'll start taking the exhaust apart so I can finish up. Thanks!

Reply #2
Sometimes i drop the rear cross member and let the tranny hang down a couple of inches. This always seems to give you that extra room needed to work. Just another suggestion other than dropping the exhaust.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #3
Tom,
      My guess is I will only need the couple inches your talking about. That's great! Well, it's time for me to go to work! Thanks, again!!

Reply #4
Well, lowering the transmission cross member would only give me even less space to work in. I thought that maybe I had put the starter in too soon and that maybe the transmission lines were hitting it and stopping them from lining up so I could start the threads. I took the starter back off and jacked the engine up again and that seemed to give me a little more room to work. I tried using the new wrenches I bought but they were too big. I had better luck using a 6" adjustable. I tried everything I could think of to get the threads to line up with no luck. All I can figure is they must have been bent somehow. Well, tomorrows another day... At least if and when this is done I will be ready to button it up and go down to emissions.

Reply #5
Today I tried the flare tubing wench again, vise grip, disconnecting the lines, re-connecting the lines, raising the engine and transmission, 6" adjustable wrench, lowering the transmission, wiping off the threads, spraying off the threads with brake cleaner, praying, cussing, for about another (3) hours to no avail. I tried taking the exhaust system apart but I would need a torch or I could bust the nuts and buy new ones. There is a small tubing that is connected to my exhaust and it is right in the way, but I figure I would need to torch it also. With as much grease as there still is on my chassis, I might as well stick a rag in the tank and just light it (not an option). I have up my mind that working from a creeper sucks! Think I'll go watch a movie...

Reply #6
Are you trying to connect the transmission lines to the transmission or are you trying to disconnect them??? Please advise!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #7
I thought he was trying to put them on....originally
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #8
All I have left is to put the transmission lines on, fill with transmission fluid, install new starter, install motor mount bolts, mount the transmission shift bracket and I should be done.

Reply #9
Take them loose from the radiator and connect them to the tranny first. Then do the radiator.

Reply #10
I tried that. That's why I think they must bent. I also disconnected the bracket next to the starter and removed the starter thinking it might be in the way. It doesn't seem to mater what I do I cannot get the threads to line up. I always try to apply pressure on the threads, but it's like I'm trying to put them into the wrong place.

Reply #11
This might sound like a stupid question, but have did you chase the threads in the transmission and make sure that they threads on both the tube fittings and the transmission itself are not damaged?  Do you have loose  or unused fittings matching those of the transmissions lines that you can use to make sure that you are able to get the fittings started? are you using teflon thread on the fittings, which might interfere with the threading?  If so, how many wraps were used and does it cover the end of the threads?

Reply #12
I'm not using any teflon tape, and every time I try again I check the threads. I'll look around and see if I have another fitting the right size. It doesn't make sense, like I'm in the Twilight Zone...

Reply #13
Try this, take the fittings out of the tranny, start them on the tubes then start them back in the tranny. Leave them loose enough that the fittings will turn on the tubes

Reply #14
I don't think we are talking about the same set up. I have flare tubing with the nuts attached to the tubing. They spin around so that they can be connected to the transmission. So, if the tubing is bent or the threads are stripped, I have a problem. The transmission is threaded on the side. You did give me an idea though... I found a brass connector that I had picked up at a radiator shop a while back. (IF) it is the right size and pitch, it being brass, I should be able to work the male thread, then the female thread separately. If I can get that far, then I should be able the thread the brass into the transmission and the line into the brass. If that works, I just need to pick up another one, do the same and be done. I will try it tonight when it cools off a little. Thanks!