Skip to main content
Topic: A big maybe............ (Read 2792 times) previous topic - next topic

A big maybe............

Reply #15
Thunderbirdsport lightnings did come with gt40's but out of the factory only made ~240hp
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A big maybe............

Reply #16
Quote from: FirstBird;397463
Thunderbirdsport lightnings did come with gt40's but out of the factory only made ~240hp

And something like 340+ ft/lbs torque, which is not bad. Even with ported GT40Ps he might get 350 hp. Since he's not in a hurry to build it I would save some money and get a good set of heads, like Twisted Wedge 205s. With a good cam he'd have 450+ hp, which might be worth the extra expense and wait time:).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

A big maybe............

Reply #17
Horsepower is good for impressing n00bs and dyno tuners.....

I'm not arguing that aftermarket heads will give a bigger torque curve...but I AM saying even if Vin uses his ported 40's and the cam he has now (or even one with a little more lift or duration) he'll still have more power than with his 5.0 now...

And it's not a huge job to change heads later on.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

A big maybe............

Reply #18
Thats what i'm saying the gt40's arent bad but if you're going Big don't go Home. I guess my wording was incorrect shouldn't have said choke on a stock motor theyll do fine, but we all know vinnie wants to show the birds tailights to ricers every once in a while, am I right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A big maybe............

Reply #19
On rare occasion, The Sport already shows the tails , More often than not, I let them run past me and feel good about themselves. It's good to see them get happy, then when you see them again, and they feel pushy, I show them what the Sport is capable of.

Overall, I want a good all around car. ....Good power, could be used as a daily driver if I want to (may have to, not sure how the Taurus deal is going to turn out yet), and good manners. NOT a "race car". I want my a/c and power steering. I'm in no hurry at all. Once it's on the engine stand, I'll tear it down and see what I am dealing with. I'll start acquiring pieces one at a time, and go from there. I hope to have it Friday. If not, next week around Friday. Not many days off and time to do anything. That engine would also dictate some of the Sport's changes coming up in the following months.

I'll maintain the T-5, but may swap in the 3.73 rear. I'm not making any solid plans right now. I have to get the engine bolted to the stand, then I'll start getting serious about what to do with it. I have to study up about cams, and which is the best for my application, as well as heads. As I stated above, I'd love to have aluminum heads to offset the added weight of the 5.8. It may take a year to get the engine together. No hurry. I don't want to get in a rush and not be happy with it. The GT40-P engine went together months ahead of schedule. I ran into sweet deals every time I looked. Maybe luck will fall on this engine as well.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

A big maybe............

Reply #20
Unless some big event happens before Friday, I'm going to get the engine.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

A big maybe............

Reply #21
It does appear that I'll be picking up the engine tomorrow morning. news as it happens. Stay tuned.

A big maybe............

Reply #22
I got the 5.8. It's in the garage waiting for me to tear into it. I'll get pics as soon as I can. No telling what I'll find inside. Hopefully good things. News to follow.

A big maybe............

Reply #23
YAY VINNIE!!!!!!!! I got a REAL nice cam for ya....... oh... never mind, that's a roller block :(

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

A big maybe............

Reply #24
This is a long term, no time limit, project. I hope to start pulling the intake and the rest of the parts soon. No time right now. No hurry either. I have a few things to sort out....

What brackets to use? Best place to source them? Other parts seem to be easier to find. I know of the following...

block plate
gaskets and seals
oil pan
swap headers
pilot bearing
intake (whether it's the Lightning style lower, or different intake altogether)
BRACKETS !!!!
Belt

Will my fuel rails fit?

I was thinking of going to 30# injectors (I have 24's now), but not sure if they will be necessary.

I have a lot of studying and homework to do on this matter.

A big maybe............

Reply #25
Vinnie i believe that most of the brackets off your 5.0 will work. Except for a/c but i may be wrong.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A big maybe............

Reply #26
Quote from: FirstBird;397654
Vinnie i believe that most of the brackets off your 5.0 will work. Except for a/c but i may be wrong.

"Most of the brackets"?..I only have two brackets, and need them both. From where? That's the question.

A big maybe............

Reply #27
Pretty sure you need a 351 AC bracket...i *think* you can find 'em in those advertiser's sections in magazines like 5.0 and the MM&FF mag, too, in the front section.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

A big maybe............

Reply #28
I'll check it out.I have plenty of those magazines....and the Fox Mustang catalog.

A big maybe............

Reply #29
I think he is referring to the March (aftermarket) type of systems, rather than the factory brackets.