Skip to main content
Topic: Oil Pan (Read 1770 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil Pan

Reply #15
Good morning,
                  I really didn't mean to upset anybody! I have till Friday to get my car over to emissions, but I don't think I'm going to make it. I'm sure I'm also being stubborn, (nothing new). Jcassity, thanks for your time! About the only thing I haven't done is with the strap and mineral spirits (yet). I am definitely going to start looking for a cherry picker, I knew after working on this car the first day that it's the way to go.  Like I have said, I wouldn't be as far as I am without all your help. Nope, not going to touch the k member over my head, maybe some day (if necessary) but not now. I can tell you, pans not coming out, but I should be able to finish the job like it is. Oh, I have motor mounts and starter on order. Thanks!!

Oil Pan

Reply #16
86Cougar, I don't believe anyone is upset and certainly not with you.  What you are seeing is experience in doing things the "right", or most efficient way vs. several ways to accomplish the task at hand with limited tools. Something like this is always going to be easier, faster and safer with the engine out of the car, but most of us also recognize that the best way isn't always possible with limited resources.

Oil Pan

Reply #17
I understand. Actually, with what I have to work with, I am doing alright. The pan has been flushed and wiped out. Surfaces sed and cleaned. Pump and pick-up tube cleaned and reassembled on car. When I was sing the surfaces, I broke a sliver off my razor blade, but I found it and disposed of it. The four gasket retainers were not the right bolt size, so I am using the bolts an working around them. Gotta get back at it.  Thanks!

Oil Pan

Reply #18
I agree pull the engine that is what i said in the beginning!!! But pulling the K frame is not brain surgery and it really is no big deal.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Oil Pan

Reply #19
Where there is a will...there is a way! Well, it took me all day, but the oil pan is IN! My T shirt it toast, half of the engine grease is now in my hair, even the mosquitoes wouldn't come near me (probably because I'm stinky). My starters all cleaned up, so tomorrow I will put it back in until my new one shows up. I will probably dream about a large oil pan chasing me around tonight (lol). It's time for a shower. Thanks, again!!

Oil Pan

Reply #20
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;396840
C'mon guys...we're talking about a guy who might not have air tools, 2 post lift, and all the big sockets needed to remove a k member. Like myself and others have said...you can rent an engine hoist anywhere, and hes all but got everything unbolted to pull it anyway. His mounts probably need replaced, might as well make it it easier to do those, as well..lol

I had my oilpan out without a hoist or removing the Kmember.  Just a floor jack, chunks of wood and jackstands.

You guys are probably right, it would have been easier to pull the engine but I sold my hoist.  It actually wasn't too time consuming the way I did it, though.

Oil Pan

Reply #21
I don't know if there is much difference in the years, but I had my engine jacked up to where the hood would stay open about 4-5 inches. I realize I did it the hard way, but that just makes working on my car in the future easier for me. I used to work on Jet engines in the Air Force and I was an aircraft mechanic when I got out for a while. So this wasn't as bad as that. My problem is I've never worked on this car before and I am always learning something new (a good thing). Cool thing is the hard part is over! I am impressed with the Fel-pro gasket, very nice.  Thank you all for your patience with me, and I got to tell you, you guys really do know your sh_t!! Thanks!!!!