Skip to main content
Topic: Oil Pan (Read 1824 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil Pan

I have been in the process of taking the shift link bracket loose, the fan shroud loose, the starter off, the coolant lines off, took the pick-up tube out along with the oil pump, loosen the transmission cross member, and jacked the engine up. There is not enough room to back the oil pan out through the rear. The manual says nothing about the position of the crank. Would putting # 4 and #8 at the top make any difference? The book say something about taking 4 bolts out of the torque converter cover and remove it. Is that the cover on the front of the transmission bell housing? According to the book, that is the rear cover plate.  Thanks!

Oil Pan

Reply #1
The K frame has to be removed for this repair!!! That is the easiest way to do it other than removing the engine!!!

:burnout:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Oil Pan

Reply #2
Tom,
      Are you referring to the cross member? Does it unbolt? I don't see it even mentioned in my manual.

Oil Pan

Reply #3
Just lift the bloody engine up. It would save SO much time.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Oil Pan

Reply #4
I can see dropping the K-member, but you'd need alignment marks, a hoist and an engine support beam.  This would work for guys like you and I, Tom, but most of these guys don't have the resources we have.

Oil Pan

Reply #5
Quote from: vinnietbird;396807
Just lift the bloody engine up. It would save SO much time.

:iagree:  :iagree:    That is if you have a cherry picker, and if you don't, they're not much to rent.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Oil Pan

Reply #6
I've done it on a 70' Mustang, I've done it on a old truck at a salvage yard, but not on one of these. I would assume the book is expecting you to pull it to the front, where all the room is. Pulling the dust shield is just for wiggle room. If you don't get it soon, you'll have to bite the big one and just pull the engine. You are almost there anyhow. Pulling the K-member would be a way of getting it done....... that's a whole new can of worms! I would pull the engine before pulling the K-member. One more thing you can think about... If you pull the engine, you can get all that old oil and grease and  totally cleaned away.

Oil Pan

Reply #7
Ok, tomorrow I will crawl under my car (again) and try to se of the rest of the gasket off, being I already have half of it off already. Then I'm going to try to just put the gasket on with the pan on the car. If I can pull this little trick off then I'll just start putting every thing back together. Be like Michelanglelo doing the chapel ceiling, but of course not quite the same results....

Oil Pan

Reply #8
Just pull the effing engine, and repair it the proper way.

To word it another way...Ive got19 years' experience working on my own stuff as well as for a living....and i wouldn't even consider doing it the way you are.

In the time it takes to fight with unbolting the pan, and wrestling it out, you could have the engine out with a hoist, and then it would be so much easier.

There's a reason we keep telling you to do it that way....because it's EASY and FAST. But we don't know shiznit. Some of us have been working on these cars for 20 years or more...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Oil Pan

Reply #9
I have to disagree a little especially if you want to make it a day job.
Idealy you want to drop the steering rack in order to get the pan out but that could open up another can of worms so dont, the line fittings and banjo fittings may break or sheer off.

-unhook battery
-drain oil and let it do so while you are doing the below items.
-install drain plug(s) on oil pan
-add a gallon of mineral spirits or the like to the oil dip stick tube, let it sit then drain again.
-use a tshirt over your oil pan to filter the mineral spirts and pour it in the pan again, then drain again.
-drain coolant
-unhook starter and remove as required
-insure all wiring /hoses and such that are in the way are clear (heater core hoses ect)
-remove motor mount pin bolts.
-remove motor mount top nuts
-jack up motorwith wood block under crank pully if you can
-remove motor mount assemblies
-insert wood block shims in place of motor mounts, you want as high as possible.
-raise motor up as far as it will go with attention to upper intake conflicts to fire wall and anything else you notice
-remove oil pan bolts and let the pan drop down as far as it will go.
~~this is where you have to trust your motor is safe but........
-get a pipe that spans the width fo the top of your engine bay such that it rests on the area where your fender bolts are
-position pipe directly over your crank shaft
-with a heavy duty wratchet strap, run strap around the back of the crank pully but forward of harmonic ballancer
-bring strap around your pipe and take up all the slack.  (this coupled with your wood block shims will make it safe enough)
-now jack up the car as high as you need , engage ebrake and chocks to rear wheels, leave car in park.

Now the pan will be low enough to do your work, not ideal but the only way unless you pull the steering rack...again not a good idea if its not been off recently.
Yes you are reaching into the sides of the pan to get at your pump and such, if its too risky sounding then take it to a shop and let them do it.  I personally dont see the issue as long as your set up is safe and workable. 
Have a creeper, hopefully you have a floor to work on and not gravel.

your not going to get the pan out by following the shop manual,,unless you pull the rack and even at that, its very tricky but can be done.  I did it once while i had the steering rack out and was actually amazed how easy it came out.  It rubbed stuff on the way out so i knew it would going in, thats why i installed my gaskets after i put the pan back in under the engine.

If you think you can get the rack out then our home free to get the pan out. ,, ,, however,,, any seasoned ford shop guy will tell you , the pan does not come out until you reach in and undo the pump and let it drop in the pan.  having said this.... see my point i made earlier?  as long as your set up is safe, just ignore the rack.

Oil Pan

Reply #10
I took my oilpan out awhile back in my 88 5.0 Cougar while the engine was still in the car, and hooked up to the transmission.  I spaced some chunks of 1x4 between the mounts and the Kmember.  The biggest part was that I had to remove the oil pump pickup tube and let it rest in the pan as I slid the pan out (remember a new gasket or good time to install a new Melling pump and pickup all together!)  I already had the radiator and the headers removed because I was getting the heads redone and camshaft changed. I believe I still even had the starter installed on the motor.  I remember taking the transmission bolts out of the transmission crossmember.  I did not remove the crossmember from the car.

Oil Pan

Reply #11
Removing the K frame is how the FORD guys did it in the day!!! Some of those early models had some sludge issues and removal of the pan was necessary. Removing the K frame was how they did it !!! I have dun many in those days!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Oil Pan

Reply #12
We lift the engines on the trucks, but on old fox cars that come in, we hang the motor, unbolt the mounts, the steering shaft and the master cylinder, unsnap the rear line from the body, then lower the K-member about 6 inches. That way, we don't have to disconnect any suspension or futz with the springs.  You wouldn't believe how well you beat book time this way.  You've got to be careful to get it back perfectly in place, or you'll have to align it.  I'm leaving things out, but my purpose isn't to provide directions, just to point out the difference in procedure.

Oil Pan

Reply #13
C'mon guys...we're talking about a guy who might not have air tools, 2 post lift, and all the big sockets needed to remove a k member. Like myself and others have said...you can rent an engine hoist anywhere, and hes all but got everything unbolted to pull it anyway. His mounts probably need replaced, might as well make it it easier to do those, as well..lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Oil Pan

Reply #14
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;396840
C'mon guys...we're talking about a guy who might not have air tools, 2 post lift, and all the big sockets needed to remove a k member. Like myself and others have said...you can rent an engine hoist anywhere, and hes all but got everything unbolted to pull it anyway. His mounts probably need replaced, might as well make it it easier to do those, as well..lol

x2