Skip to main content
Topic: Polyurethane on control arms. (Read 3580 times) previous topic - next topic

Polyurethane on control arms.

Is it really worth the effort to replace the stock bushings for Polyurethane?  Thanks!

Reply #1
Yes!!! As a matter of fact MOOG is supplying POLI as stock replacements for certain applications that were never installed on the car from the factory.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #2
Tom,
        I am down to my control arms and I am getting ready to take them off. I will clean them, paint them and rebuild them (POLY, springs, shocks and new brakes). The only issue I have had with polyurethane in the past was after a while they dry up and squeak. Then of course, once that happens, they will start to break down. I wish mine had a grease fitting to service them. I never stopped to think that the expensive cars probably would come off the show room floor with Polyurethane on them. I already have a set for front and back. In fact, I think I have about everything I need for the chassis. I bought some extra grease from Summit Racing so I can put it on thick. Any information or advice on application will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Reply #3
I always thought poly everywhere made your ride harder, ?

Reply #4
The polyurethane bushings provide the least deflection and thus better stability and control, but if the resulting ride is to harsh to suit personal taste, then a decent compromise is delrin bushings, which are much firmer than stock rubber, deflect a bit more than polyurethane and don't tend to suffer from the tendency to squeaking often encountered with polyurethane. CHE uses a hybrid of both delrin and polyeuothane to achieve the best performance.

Reply #5
Yep, I would say they do. My car will probably ride like a truck. I went to stiffer springs, same (new) kYB GR2 struts and shocks, Hellig anti-sway bar on back, Addco anti-sway bar on front and of course the polyurethane. I also went to a quick ratio rack and pinion.

Reply #6
Well, I have a handful of grease fittings and my drill and my tap and die set. So, I think I better set myself up for the inevitable. Sure beat having to tear everything down.

Reply #7
I installed poly in the front end of my T-Bird and CHE adjustable control arms with Delrin in the rear. I wouldn't say it rode like a truck, because a truck at least provides a modispooge of comfort.  My T-Bird rode like a tank. I could run over a squirrel and tell you what it had for supper. Personally I think it ruined the car, because T-Birds are supposed to be comfortable. Mine rode so hard I hated driving it.

That being said, if you want balls-out handling and don't care about comfort go with poly. That T-Bird handled like it was glued to the road. I could throw it into turns at crazy speeds and it just plain stuck. Thanks to the TC sway bars it stayed absolutely level (the 2" drop and Bullitt springs probably helped too). It handled like no T-Bird had any right to do... unfortunately it also rode like no T-Bird had the right to do...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #8
I saw the CHE control arms when I was thinking about changing mine, but I didn't notice they used Delrin. In fact I have never heard about it till now. I really have to agree with you that it is all personal likes. Ever since I saw a blue-green Cougar "Hot Wheel" when I was a kid, I always figured my car should be a hot rod (that's just me). Back in 1986 I bought a new IROC camero, and it seemed to always be in the shop, so, I traded it for a Mazda MX-6. I had installed an Alpine sterio, Ebach lowering springs, KYB shocks, Suspension Techniques anti sway bar on front, Michelin (HR?) tires and a Momo steering wheel. I had to take it to a welder twice because I ripped out the shocks on both sides of the front. He put large washers and padded them up. The second time he asked me if I would be interested in a roll bar... I sure had fun in that little car. Truth is it never really felt like I was driving that fast, in fact I think I only got one or two small tickets the whole time I had it. Anyway, I always felt safer in that car, that's why I build up my cars the way I do.

Reply #9
I've got the poly bushings up front, 97 Stang GT springs, CHE arms rear, also with poly and an aluminum upper axle bushing to prevent binding. It doesn't exactly ride like a truck, but you can  sure tell the size of the pothole by the kick in the ass it gives you. I've also got the TC swaybars front and rear, and as Carm mentioned, on the dry curves, mine handles like it was a roller coaster. Obviously my shiznitty old dry rotted Michelins are the weak link, then again, I drove it yesterday and promptly had the county cops hunting for me. Guess it's time to grow up and act cool. Of course, my wife then went and acspoogeulated 3!!! tickets in the Mountaineer. I'm shiznit broke, but the rebel in me says we are going to fight 2 of these tickets. 6mph over the limit on a gravel road...really? Is the county that desperate for money? The lawyer is on tap, and I had a friend call me today to tell me the deputy that ticketed the wife has been seen drinking while in uniform. This shiznit does NOT happen...especially when he's sitting just down the road behind some brush past my driveway like a sneaking little cXXXsuXXer. Pardon my french....I do NOT drive through my local little town like a d-bag.....why shiznit where ya sleep, you know...

Sorry OP for the hijack. Carry on, I'm over it now :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #10
I'm with Thunder Chicken on this. I won't put poly on a car for the street. It ruins the ride in my opinion. Replacing with fresh good quality rubber is my preference for a STREET car. I don't like too firm a ride. Shoot, even too low profile a tire bugs me! It is a personal thing to be sure. You won't know until you've tried it.

Reply #11
Rubber is good for the street and I would run that if that is where your going to drive the car.  I had Poly in my old 85 TC and it sucked with regards to harshness.  I was running a stock suspension with new shocks and new Moog springs.  I yanked the Poly bushings out and installed Moog rubber units and all the problem went away.  Did I loose a little on spirited driving? Yes but it was worth it with a daily driver.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #13
Great feedback! EricCoolcats.... More food for thought and options....cool! I got this car when it was already about 16-18 years old, so I'm going to have to go the trial and error route. I haven't heard anything about poly on the freeway at 75-85 mph. I will only be driving my car under 8 miles every second or third day, except when I go see my relatives (about a two hour drive) once every month or two. Aerocoupe, that sounds just like my set up. I had low profile tires on my Cougar and I liked them, only problem was the car stood too tall (didn't quite look right). Now if I had 2" drop spindles all around, I think I would be happy. There again, I'm only speculating.

Reply #14
No such thing as a drop spindle for these cars.

Want to go low, it's all springs and shocks and caster/camber plates. Go low enough, you'll also need offset rack bushings, depending on what spindles you do have, with regards to stock Fox, '94-95 Stang, or '96 and up Stang. There's a lot of reading to do before you ever turn a wrench on all of THAT lol. It's not what I'd call brain surgery, but you'll definitely want to read some threads here before you go slapping in some Mach 1 springs and expecting great results with otherwise stock suspension parts ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6