Skip to main content
Topic: Protecting your blower motor switch (non-EATC) (Read 8045 times) previous topic - next topic

Protecting your blower motor switch (non-EATC)

Reply #45
nah, they both are different with respect to the location of the speed control switch.

both are workable and simple
lets let these examples cycle for a few days then one of us can request a sticky, then get it over to eric for the tech section of coolcats.

the oem fuse feeding the heat selector switch is already called F9, my discussions have only pertained to the adder circuit, yes a misunderstanding.

tune up whichever drawing to illustrate your technical input so no one burns down thier car :)

Reply #46
It's been a while on this subject...where did we leave it?

On an off-topic note, I've been fighting the temptation to get one of these... I already have an Arduino Duo, and I have an LED voltmeter in the spot where the T/C ride control switches go. But it would be REALLY cool if I had a touch-sensitive display that could show volts, with a tach bar at the top, compass heading, outside temp, etc. Unfortunately I already have too many projects in the queue.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #47
take it from the top,,
I like my option a tad more than yours because there is less of everything so to speak to do.
However, also compare yours to mine and like crazyman said, they both will work.

Im glad i noticed this thread, its on my radar for EATC systems,, "if" its even needed.

Reply #48
my version on page 4 post 33
, yours also resides on page 4, either way both great solutions.

Reply #49
J what if you were to reverse the speed switch from controlling ground to controlling battery and use a relay for high speed. Fan motors draw less current at reduced speeds and by controlling the high speed battery feed with a relay is in my view better than controlling the ground to vary speed. I know you are going to hammer me on everyone does it this way. But for years it was dun the other way around. Just saying. Thanks
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #50
Quote from: jcassity;398020
my version on page 4 post 33
, yours also resides on page 4, either way both great solutions.

It's been a while since I was looking at these. Is the only difference in the way the pins are arranged on the resistor and the 30A fuse above it?

At this rate we'll be rewriting the EVTM :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #51
Quote from: TOM Renzo;398082
J what if you were to reverse the speed switch from controlling ground to controlling battery and use a relay for high speed. Fan motors draw less current at reduced speeds and by controlling the high speed battery feed with a relay is in my view better than controlling the ground to vary speed. I know you are going to hammer me on everyone does it this way. But for years it was dun the other way around. Just saying. Thanks

thats actually what the original evtm page does but "we" want to remove the wattage disipation from the switch and putting the speed switch in series with the ground means there is little or no current across the speed select switch. 
Again, i have hacked this diagram up and it looks totally different from the same EVTM page number you can access in my diy link below.  If we do that (what your saying) we would actually defeat the purpose of the thread, as an example supplied by quietleaf, the newer explorers "switch the ground leg"

Reply #52
Quote from: Quietleaf;398145
It's been a while since I was looking at these. Is the only difference in the way the pins are arranged on the resistor and the 30A fuse above it?

At this rate we'll be rewriting the EVTM :D

three things change....
repin the speed switch
repin the blower resistor pack
add new isolated power source for "HIGH" only.