Skip to main content
Topic: Computer (Read 2154 times) previous topic - next topic

Computer

Reply #15
I get the feeling that emissions here in Arizona is almost as bad as California. Like I say, I need to take a day and go down there and talk to them. My engine is stock other than an MSD-6 box, MSD distributor, K&N filter, and a H/P ler. Not much to speak of. I've never even had time to check the compression on it, but as many miles as it has on it I'm not too optimistic.
Frank

Computer

Reply #16
If anything, the three mods you mentioned, leaving the ler aside, can only improve emissions performance.  The tighter tolerances of the MSD distributor, combined with the multi-spark of the MSD-6 can only cause more of the fuel to be burned, resulting in more efficiency as an air pump and thus,cleaner emissions.  Will such mods offset the sloppiness of a worn out engine, umm, NO.  Can it hurt...also a no.  What is stupid to me is that in some states replacing steel pulleys with aluminum or plumbing in an intercooler or using an open filament air cleaner can lead to failure of an emissions test visually, without even bothering to perform the tailpipe sniff test. I got my TC because it failed the sniff test in VA, but passed here in TN with flying colors after cleaning the TB, unclogging the EGR and replacing the PCV valve.  She passed well below the federally mandated minimums, let alone maximum and she now has over 250,000 miles on the clock.

Computer

Reply #17
I didn't tell you that my EGR was clogged and so was the coolant lines to my EGR spacer. I tried finding new gaskets for the spacer and the dealership even told me that they are obsolete. So, I will have no choice but to hook up the lines and block them off. No loss.

Computer

Reply #19
TheFoeYouKnow,
                        The only ones I found in the aftermarket would not fit my stock throttle body. The smallest aftermarket gasket that I could find was for a 65mm. I tried making up my own, but they would always saturate and send water into the upper intake manifold. So, that is why I have blocked the coolant lines. If you know where I can get the two EGR spacer gaskets, I would be grateful if you told me!  Thanks!

Computer

Reply #20
The ones I used initially were for 55mm and they didn't work for me solely because I have 65mm parts. They were Victor and the only one that seals coolant is between the spacer and the upper.  The victor gasket is identical to the oem, with reinforcements and  sealer coating.  The TB gasket only seals air, so it's ok that its only paper.  Check your surfaces before you replace the gasket again, make sure there's no damage.

Computer

Reply #21
Surfaces look pretty good. Probably because the coolant lines have been plugged for some time. Thanks for the information. I will probably buy a couple, being I'm going to keep this car.