Skip to main content
Topic: Computer (Read 2162 times) previous topic - next topic

Computer

I was wondering if someone can tell me where my computer is located on my 1986 Cougar with a 302 engine? I bought a JET performance chip and I want to see if it does anything.
                                                            Thanks!

Computer

Reply #1
Behind the right side kick panel.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Computer

Reply #2
Quote from: 86cougar;395500
I was wondering if someone can tell me where my computer is located on my 1986 Cougar with a 302 engine? I bought a JET performance chip and I want to see if it does anything.
                                                            Thanks!

Passenger side kick panel, behind the plastic.
And the chip won't do jack shiznit. Throw it in the trash, or get a refund.

Seriously.

It's the parts you can't see that will make the real power...HO cam, E7 or GT40 heads, bigger exhaust, injectors, etc etc...

Chips are really best for seriously modded engines that there are no factory tunes for...such as a blown and nitrous fed engine...even then, to get the most out of it, it needs tuned on a dyno by a trained technician.

Hope you didn't spend a lot for this chip...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Computer

Reply #3
Problem is, I have to deal with emissions here. If I didn't, I'd just drop in another engine.

Computer

Reply #4
Emissions or not, the chip is only going to affect your wallet.

As long as you have good cats, a properly functioning smog pump, and all the parts between it and the Thermactor and EGR are working, heads, and HO cam will get past emissions. After all, they were factory equipment on '87 up Stangs and Mark VII 5.0 cars....

Let me reiterate, the chip will not help you with emissions, power gain, freedom of speech, gun control, or penile enlargement. It WILL lighten your wallet though. If those chips did anything, we'd all have 'em in our sigs as a mod lol.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Computer

Reply #5
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;395510
...or penile enlargement.
shiznit, there goes my last ray of hope...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Computer

Reply #6
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;395513
shiznit, there goes my last ray of hope...

Yeh...you 'n me both..:eek:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Computer

Reply #7
now I want some pringles.... thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Computer

Reply #8
did someone say ChiPs? 

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Computer

Reply #9
I could have bought cases of pringles for what I paid for the Jet chip. Oh well, as long as I have food in the fridge and a roof over my head......I'm good.  Thanks!

Computer

Reply #10
Quote from: MY83T;395537
did someone say ChiPs? 

Putting those in your car would not be a good modification either.

Computer

Reply #11
Might be room in the trunk....

Computer

Reply #12
Generally speaking old school chips like a Jet, just jack up the timing.  Which will require premium fuel, on a 155 HP 5.0  hmmm.  If u want more timing just up the base timing from 10 to 12-13.  It will do the same thing for free.

Good luck,

Travis

Computer

Reply #13
So, if I advance the timing a little (I usually do) AND put my might Jet chip in.....who knows, I might get........ oh-oh, that's 155 hp new, my car is 26 years old. So, back to the equation.... about 120 hp, advance the timing and hook up the mighty Jet chip and...... Jeez, sure is a good thing I like my car. I better get back to work.  Thanks!

Computer

Reply #14
In some cases a chip really can help a basically stock car.  With the basically smooth cam the Ford installed in our cars with the 5.0....its going to be rough to gets lots of power, chip aside.  That is why the HO swap is so popular!
Travis