Skip to main content
Topic: swapping supercharger for a turbo (Read 3604 times) previous topic - next topic

swapping supercharger for a turbo

I've been wanting to do this for a while and decided yesterday to pull the trigger on this project. As some of you know, I've had a powerdyne supercharger on my sport for quit some time and it worked great, but I'm interested in making a little more than the 8psi that It was limited to and I would like to make peak boost at a lower rpm. So I'm swapping over to a turbo setup.
Here's the old setup:

Here is the new mustang turbo manifold:

This new manifold is designed to place the turbo on the passenger side and doesn't fit my engine bay on either side, so I will be cutting it up and changing it around so the headers hug the engine a little tighter and the turbo sits on the driver side where my supercharger was.

I cut the turbo  and waste-gate  off the passenger side manifold and welded the waste-gate opening shut. They will be flipped around and used on the driver side:

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #1
doing a little shopping on ebay mobile:D

also have a list of -AN lines and fittings to order from JEGS.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #2
Cool upgrade.  Make sure you post some videos of this once completed!

I bet you will have no trouble selling your old setup...I would love to have forced induction myself.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #3
A little advice here, take that aluminum oil feed  and throw it in the trash can. The threads are really soft and you are limited to removing the oil feed hose 2 or three times tops and then it strips. Also they are pr0ne to breaking in half if something heavy gets dropped on the feed hose. What I do is make a steel  and tap it to 1/4" pipe thread and then get a 90 degree fitting male to female 1/4" pipe thread and then 1/4" to number 4 JSB (4an) adapter.  This is a much more reliable setup, there is nothing more freaky then having your oil feed fitting fail going down the highway and then seeing smoke and then a flash fire under the hood! Been there done that! Also I believe they make an oil feed restictor fitting if you are worried about too much oil pressure.

Reply #4
I know what you mean about those adaptors being delicate. Two of my friends had the same problem with stripping the threads. I've had good luck with the one on my maxima though. Its been through 3 turbos, 4 transmissions, 4 engines, and 3 clutch changes and I've managed to remove it without damage every time. Anyhow,  it looks like I wont have to worry about the new one because it arrived yesterday and it's made out of stainless steel, even though the auction said aluminum

Reply #5
Quote from: 50tbrd88;395335
Cool upgrade.  Make sure you post some videos of this once completed!

I bet you will have no trouble selling your old setup...I would love to have forced induction myself.

Someone should be picking up the supercharger this week. As far as videos,  dont worry. I am the king of videos. I pretty much take pictures and videos of everything. I have a video of my last time driving the car before switching to turbo, doing donuts and figure 8s in front of the shop. The exhaust and bov sound amazing in the vid. Im really gonna miss how the exhaust sounded NA with equal length headers and flowmasters. Hope it still sounds ok through a turbo and unequal length manifold.[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc5i__R8Iyo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Reply #6
Finally got some time to work on the car a little. Ended up finishing the modifications to the driver side manifold and had to build the passenger side from scratch.
Here's what I came up with for the turbo to sit on(driver side):

This is how the turbo now sits:

Mocking up the passenger side:

passenger side in:

my smog pump delete arrived today:

Also got some couplings and all my -AN lines and fittings today (no pics yet)
Hoping to have it running this weekend.

Reply #7
Are you going to have room for your downpipe on the driver's side? Got brake lines and steering linkage to avoid

Reply #8
Wait aren't you still running a stock s.o. 5.0? I wonder how long it will last I've heard the H.O.'s can take 8 psi bone stock. Cool stuff none the less.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
I do have just enough room for a 3" downpipe to go down behind the last primary tube on the header. As for the motor lasting, probably not. I just wanna run it hard for the rest of the season and replace it over the winter. I want a new crate or a custom motor and i have some funds saved for that purpose.

Reply #11
I can say that I am making a conservative 400hp to the wheels with a bone stock non ho 5.0 and a turbo kit.

6000 miles since the T76 went on. Daily driven, haven't even changed the oil yet. It is a pretty safe bet, you are gonna start burning a little oil though:)

Don't be scared these things can take it, nitrous is another story though.

If you believed everything you read on the internet, you would be spending way too much money on stuff that is not entirely needed use it first, blow it up and then build it.
Best advice I ever got

Reply #12
Couldn't agree more. That is how I have always done it in the past.

Reply #13
Yup, I don't know how many times in the past I see people get steered into doing a complete build for nothing only for the project not to get done due to lack of funds and knowledge, because some guy says non ho 5.0s are a weak engine because they have factory forged pistons and poor flow heads or whatever. I seen a guy running 10s on a turbocharged non ho 5.0 with aluminum heads and stock bottom end and cam on race gas. He said runs 11s in street trim (lower boost and pump gas). And he has been daily driving it for a year. With your 3000 stall converter, drag radials or slicks, and a trans brake valvebody, your car will easily kill most street cars at the drags long as you have a build trans and rear end, and maybe some control arms and subrame connectors you'll be fine.

Reply #14
PS: I would have liked to seen your supercharger AND turbo on the car, I always wanted to build a compound setup like that:)