Skip to main content
Topic: t5 swap (Read 3180 times) previous topic - next topic

t5 swap

So since it looks like I will be swapping in a 5.0 and I'll need to go to floor gear selector, I'm thinking of just dropping in a t5. My question is will a Mustang t5 Cross member work on the bird? Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

t5 swap

Reply #1
It should be fine. I just used the crossmember that came with my Sport. Everything bolted right up. Even reused the AOD's tranny mount.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

t5 swap

Reply #2
Quote from: vinnietbird;394640
It should be fine. I just used the crossmember that came with my Sport. Everything bolted right up. Even reused the AOD's tranny mount.

I also re-used my birds "double hump" crossmember.  Unless there is a difference between 87 and 88, yours should be fine.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

t5 swap

Reply #3
Alright thanks guys yeah I have the double hump cross member, just don't want to be bolting everything back up and realize it doesn't fit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

t5 swap

Reply #4
You may have to grind the spot welds on the tubes that are on each end of the cross member so you can adjust the cross member from front to back.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

t5 swap

Reply #5
I think I may have just flipped mine from side to side.
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

t5 swap

Reply #6
I just re-installed mine..no flipping, grinding, or alterations.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

t5 swap

Reply #7
Mmm alright even if I have to grind something better than buying over priced used mustang parts here in California, to people that have done the swap how much did it run you? Is 5-6 hundred reasonable estimate going from a 3.8?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

t5 swap

Reply #8
5 or six hundred dollars for what? Engine and tranny? Just the trans,? Harnesses? Give more details.............

t5 swap

Reply #9
What do you already have? There's a 5.0 Stang here ('95) with the T-5. He said I could have it all for $250.00. Trans, bell housing, cable. I may get it. The SN-95 5.0 cars with the T-5 will bolt right into ours, but you have to have the SN-95 bell housing as well.

t5 swap

Reply #10
I have 2 bells for sale. If you need one that is!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

t5 swap

Reply #11
Sorry should have clarrified. For the 5.0/t5 swap into an AOD 3.8
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

t5 swap

Reply #12
I have nothing parts wise as I was thinking about the 351 swap but after throwing some numbers together I know it's way out of my price range.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

t5 swap

Reply #13
If you were here, I could get you an H.O 5.0 and T-5 setup nearly complete for about $600.00. I pulled the pullies and distributor from it, but it was a known good running car. If I had the cash to spend, I'd buy the assembly, but, I'm shooting for the tranny stuff.

t5 swap

Reply #14
Quote from: vinnietbird;394684
If you were here, I could get you an H.O 5.0 and T-5 setup nearly complete for about $600.00. I pulled the pullies and distributor from it, but it was a known good running car. If I had the cash to spend, I'd buy the assembly, but, I'm shooting for the tranny stuff.

That's cheap!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube