Skip to main content
Topic: cooling problems (Read 2487 times) previous topic - next topic

cooling problems

does anyone know the exact size of the stock radiator the one thats in mine now is two small. so im wondering what would be a cheap b ut effective radiator i can put my stock fan shroud on but is the right size for the engine bay

cooling problems

Reply #1
Anything for a stang 5.0 should fit.

My buddies have used 1800radiator, and there about the same price as a stock replacement for a 3 core. But that's going back a couple years.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

cooling problems

Reply #2
Here is what I am running in my Coupe and my overheating problems went away.  When I say they went away I mean the temp gauge in this Houston 100+ deg heat with the AC on does not budge above 180 Deg.  It is not cheap but you can reuse it and it is track tested as well.  This will be going into the T-Brid as well.  Several of the racing sanctioning bodies (SCCA and NASA) will not allow glycol so the guys used water with Redline Water Wetter.  A couple of them have started to run this and the overheating issues have been greatly reduced if not stopped.

http://www.evanscooling.com/products/coolants/high-performance-coolant/

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

cooling problems

Reply #3
what did they come stock was it a two core in the 5.0? and the one i have is a one core with no fan shroud. i just bought a brand new 2 core and im picking up a fan shroud you do you guys think that would be enough?

cooling problems

Reply #4
Like the others I went the one for a 5.0 Rustang(lol) I did opt up to what they were calling the heat buster/Max cooling which got me a real radiator. Full copper/brass construction cost more than the standard plastic/aluminum ones. Plus it will last much longer. All the bird stuff bolted right up. Did have to trim the upper Rad mount rubbers so they would squeeze over the thicker tank. That is on an 84 turbo coupe.

Hope that helps
Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

cooling problems

Reply #5
i just bought a aftermarket oem replacement it says its a 2 core one made from aluminum and im picking up a fan shroud im just wondering if you guys think will be enough.

cooling problems

Reply #6
It might not be a bad idea to replace your fan clutch if you still have a belt driven fan. If it spins easily by hand when the engine is hot (and off!) then it's probably in need of replacement. Also, the coolant may need to be flushed as well.

A shroud is always a good idea too. Let us know..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

cooling problems

Reply #7
thanks i didnt even think of the fan clutch part. ill try and grab another one i just put the new radiator and brand new antifreeze it didnt solve anything. im going to get a fan shroud and i know fan and see if that solves anything.

cooling problems

Reply #8
Did you check your thermostat?  Ive seen plenty stuck, its a cheap part.  Might be worth replacing.  The modern cars usually will spit a code if the t-stat is stuck open, P0128, I can't tell you how many Ive put in.  And why not try a thermally controlled electric fan?  Or two electric fans??  One last note, I like the redline water wetter alot, Run it in my uncles super chargers, intercooler system.  Water to Air with the redline in there with water.  Works great.
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

cooling problems

Reply #9
i but somethine cold hyper lube and it didnt seem to help and i had thermo controlled fan it had plenty of power output but it wasnt big enough. it made it worse but i found im missing my air dam so i think that might be effecting things what do do you guys think? and the thermostat is good i tested it.

cooling problems

Reply #10
For me the stock radiator will not cut it in the Texas heat with a warmed up 302W let alone a 351W.  Make sure you have a fan shroud and good fan.  Is your overheating in town, at highway speeds or both?  In town means you need more capacity if the fan, fan shroud, and water pump are good to go.  Don't forget that the later cars the water pump is reverse rotation.  If its on the highway then you need to direct the air over the radiaitor better and/or it needs more capacity.

Radiator Cap
Thermostat (installed correctly)
Water Pump (rotation checked)
Radiator (as big of a unit as you can fit)
Coolant (Evans if you can afford it and if you do get a low pressure cap)
Temperature Gauge (test the sending unit)

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

cooling problems

Reply #11
hey thanks alot

cooling problems

Reply #12
does anyone know if the 88 tbird had a air  on it?

cooling problems

Reply #13
Quote from: 351fox;394083
does anyone know if the 88 tbird had a air  on it?

As far as I know, they all had the air /reflector under the bumper.
Mike

cooling problems

Reply #14
well shiznit does anyone have one for sale. i think thats why im overheating on the highway.