Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 Thunderbird from Sweden (Read 45220 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 Thunderbird from Sweden

Reply #210
Cool

Reply #211
That is one sweet bird.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #213
Cheers guys!
She sure is fun!
But now I got busy with work again and it may be so that I will leave China for Dubai later, anything can happen though. Miss the car though, finally when things started to really work well in the car.
But the transmission should arrive at any time! But that will have to wait a while...

Reply #214
Nice. Need some stickier tires ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #215
Okay folks, I'm sorry for the delay of an update!
Been working my ass off for the last week or so on the car but today she drove once again!
What is it this time you might ask?
I'm glad you asked! New transmission!

But first, some videos from last week!
I got the car running well after some fix. Figured out the fuel pressure was low and regapped the plugs from .28 to .22 and then she ran well! Still a bit fat though, gonna sort that out.
Had to show a jag driver a burnout though
[video=youtube;iFcgAXDbRxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFcgAXDbRxA[/video]

Also let my friend who has been helping me a lot on the car take it for a spin! He handled it's stubborness very well!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfHQ5D4dXoQ&feature=youtu.be

Did well as a beer delivery ride

Enough for a midsummer. For those who don't know what midsummer is, it's a celebration of the day when the sun is up the longest and we celebrate it by drinking. A lot.
Had a colleague over from Wisconsin to here, he loved it and thought it was crazy! That's the way we do it ;)

Use appropiate headwear

And the solution to these god forsaken grill coal bags where you just pull the string and it will magically open. That's the theory.
In reality you're standing there trying to pry it open with your hands, screaming and cursing and when you finally do get it open the coal will fly everywhere with you standing there screaming, kicking the bbq grill and all of your neighbours standing around you watching while you're raging, throwing the grill over the house roof and later covering it in gasoline and lights it on fire.

Day after, hungover and determined to get started!

Accompanied by fathers Terminator

The boss is checking on his workers down at the disassembly floor.
He's not even close to being satisfied.

This junk actually looks like a car again!

After about 6 hours of work, 3 of them figuring out what tools to use, it's finally down!

Best solution of shipping a transmission. End of discussion!

My Freddy Brown 4STB! Finally you're here!

I did make quite a mess... The motorcycle lift is the best thing my father ever bought, after the lift the Cobra is standing on.

Cut the original lower right rubber mount for the radiator a bit to fit the new rad.

The new Griffin 1-26272-x radiator

I shouldn't have heat problems...

Realised I cut the rubber mount on the wrong side so had to cut the otherside again! And pry the mount a little bit to fit the radiator.

I can't believe the radiator fit with little to none modifications.... I'm astonished!

Out with the original shifter!

New shifter mount in the making!

Measure once and drill twice! The way it's done

Perfect drawing!

Bent and drilled shifter mount

Even half-ass serious!

Still got good company!
Dad's just admiring his work I believe.

B&M transcooler mounted

Shifter mount primered

Since SPAL who is suppose to be the best fan makers on the market, doesn't even sent fan mounting kit with their fans, I had to track down fan mounts. Luckily, the closest car shop had it!

Original transcooler lines

Snip snip!

Oil lines mounted

Shifter mount is finished! Not bad for a stupid guy like me

Radiator mounted with fans and everything. I've got plenty of space now! 12-rib next!

Relay pack from Freddy Brown installed and wired up! Makes me able to use both overdrive and transbrake on the same button. 1st gear in I have transbrake, 2nd nothing and third I have O/D on/off.

Relay for the fans

The best connectors ever! And very easy to use, water proof, cheap and OEM like!

Simply strip it, put on the silicone boot

Put the connector pin on and crimp it

On both

Put it in the connector socket, jam the rubber boot in the holes to make it water proof

And this is the male connector ready to go! In just a few minutes you have an OEM like connector.  I love these

Got sick of constantly adding thing after thing to the plus (+) connector in the engine bay, so I made this "universal" one instead.

The none used ones are isolated

And one for the minus aswell

Father is filling the Terminator with oil in a quite unusual way. Pressure through the waterpump, even had pressure before the first rotation of the engine

I had to remake the bracket for the shifter cable, holes were too narrow for AOD (shifter is for a C4/C6)

Cut it and extend it, weld it. I'm a decent welder at 2am, piss drunk. Not bad!

Both sides extended and grinded down

Painted, not bad for being me

Cable mounted

Shifter mounted

Time to fill with trans fluid!

But then she started g water out from the waterpump. Waterpump is gone.
So I'm moving over to the interior while waiting for new one.
Time to actually mount the water temp gauge for once! And so, the project "Clean up inside of car" was started! I had the computer on the floor, temporary cables EVERYWHERE, gauges hanging in their cables etc. Time to make shiznit permanent and serious!

Fits!.... Almost...

Hole for connector

Not bad! Didn't want to cut it too much ruining it.

My dad had nothing to do on his Terminator and was sick and tired of my computer laying on the floor with wires everywhere. Time to tuck it in it's real place!

Problem is... It's not black

Aaah. Much better, balance to the universe is now restored.

Time to focus on the center console!

Doesn't really fit...

I'm sad to cut such pristine plastic... But nothing else to find around here... So the best has to do :(

Big hole will be filled later, haven't figured out how I want it.

Switches installed. Needs to be labeled though. Left one is for the electric fans, at the moment it's on/off but later it will be auto/on. Right one is my safety switch for the transbrake so even if I accidently hit the transbrake button on the shifter in 1st while moving, it wont engage.

Jumping forward to today, the new waterpump arrived.

After it was painted black, I mounted it and poured in water. G DOWN!
Take it off, realise the gasket they sent me was wrong exposing a huge gaping hole (!!!).
We had the correct one in the basp00get, put it on and it's waterproof!
So I filled it with trans fluid, took her for a spin. Wow it feels strange with 4000rpm stall speed converter.
Didn't try any WOT but at 3/4 and 5000rpm, wow she pulls! And the shifts are so smooth, and so fast. It's not cracking your spine anymore!

More pics will come tomorrow! Gonna wash it and get some pictures with the real camera!

Reply #216
Until then, here's a video of my fathers Cobra startup.
[video=youtube;31S_BjRWf2E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31S_BjRWf2E[/video]

Reply #217
Wow man bitchin

Reply #218
Very nice, both cars. Like the approved headwear, although you should be two fisting it with a helmet like that.

Reply #219
Like this?

GoPro goes in tomorrow for some shifting action!

Reply #220
Close. Two fisting around my parts means a beer in each hand, which helps explain such behavior as your approved headwear or jumping around the dance floor like a wounded deer. If someone is giving you that what the hell look, you just hold up both beers. No further explanation needed.  :hick:

Reply #221
Oh!
Then I must improve! ;)

On other news!
120 miles later.... Lets just say, its fun!

[video=youtube;upViepfumis]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upViepfumis[/video]

Reply #222
nice!

Reply #223
Wow, just found this thread. What an awesome car, extremely clean and nice setup. Love your father's Terminator too.
1986 Thunderbird 5.0
-FRPP Wires and upgraded ignition parts.
-H.O. Upper Plenum / EGR Spacer / TB

Reply #224
Cheers to both of you!
I have an update with pictures to make but I'm in Dubai working a lot so there's no time for that unfortinetly.
But until then, here's two more burnout videos, both of the same one.
[video=youtube;OF0IUCh3YzU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF0IUCh3YzU[/video]