Skip to main content
Topic: Somebody else makes sub frame connectors for our cars! (Read 5094 times) previous topic - next topic

Somebody else makes sub frame connectors for our cars!

The place is called alston race cars, here is the link.

https://www.secureway1.com/alston/index.php
Cougar on a diet to suck gas and haul ass!

Cain, Pony Express Racing

Reply #1
i didnt see anything about tbird stuff there...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
If you guys are looking for full length SFC's, I can fab them up.  It takes 10' of 1"x2"x.120" wall tube ($30-35), couple hours of cutting and welding to close up the ends along with side tabs if you want to bolt them on.  Using 5' per side will run you from the rear LCA boxes up to the front almost where the frame rails curve up.  Could do them for like $85 per pair plus shipping.
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Reply #3
Quote from: Dan B.;392949
If you guys are looking for full length SFC's, I can fab them up.  It takes 10' of 1"x2"x.120" wall tube ($30-35), couple hours of cutting and welding to close up the ends along with side tabs if you want to bolt them on.  Using 5' per side will run you from the rear LCA boxes up to the front almost where the frame rails curve up.  Could do them for like $85 per pair plus shipping.

If you close up the ends like this  (front)  \=======\ (back) instead of (front) \=======/ (back), you can get a couple more inches of welding onto the rear subframe.  Unlike on a Mustang, the rear frame rail dips down behind the torque box.
Not sure how you're doing them, but that's how I did them when I made them (and when we were doing them at KB).

Adding a crossbar under the seat supports really helps things out too.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
Got any pics of a set you've made? I'm bout in the market from some (car is moving under own power again)
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #5
Go to the subframe connectors section and there should be a pull down option list under weld in and bolt in, in those you will find our cars.

Reply #6
Quote from: Chuck W;392956
If you close up the ends like this  (front)  \=======\ (back) instead of (front) \=======/ (back), you can get a couple more inches of welding onto the rear subframe.  Unlike on a Mustang, the rear frame rail dips down behind the torque box.
Not sure how you're doing them, but that's how I did them when I made them (and when we were doing them at KB).

Adding a crossbar under the seat supports really helps things out too.

That's how I did them.  I could add a crossbar with no problem.
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Reply #7
Quote from: Soul;392960
Got any pics of a set you've made? I'm bout in the market from some (car is moving under own power again)

Don't mind the bubblegum welds at the attachment points...was teaching a friend to weld overhead.  I did all the welding and clean up on the ends of the tubes.

Rear

Front

Reply #8
When I installed the KB SFC's in my car I found it hard to weld onto the subframes because they're galvanized. You'll have to do some grinding to remove the magnesium to get a decent weld...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;392981
You'll have to do some grinding to remove the magnesium to get a decent weld...

I did.  I'm going to go back and revisit Rick's welds and add in some side plates.

Reply #10
I put side plates on the rears of mine
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #11
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;392946
i didnt see anything about tbird stuff there...

Did you find it?

Reply #12
Quote from: Dan B.;392972
Don't mind the bubblegum welds at the attachment points...was teaching a friend to weld overhead.  I did all the welding and clean up on the ends of the tubes.

Rear

This is what I was saying.  Flip that closure over the other way (put the flat portion on the bottom, not the top) , and you can extend the tube back onto the rear subframe.

Kind of a py pic, but... (And don't mind that I apparently forgot I had jacking rails on the car when I jacked it up :p)

Reply #13
I'm afraid I'm not seeing the difference clearly
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #14
Quote from: hypostang;393023
I'm afraid I'm not seeing the difference clearly

Look at his first pic.  Flip that closure over, and you can extend the bar rearward onto the subframe another 2"