Skip to main content
Topic: Warning !!! 3G Warning!!! (Read 1112 times) previous topic - next topic

Warning !!! 3G Warning!!!

If anyone is using a 3G with the 90 degree adapter on it *PLEASE* do a periodic check on your connections .X
I was sitting in a parking lot last night idling with my A/C on and noticed a funny smell . I opened my hood and the plastic on the adapter was actually on fire.
I put the fire out and "rednecked" the car so I was able to get home .

I have a voltmeter and the car was charging in range when this happened .
I am very thankful that this happened while I was parked rather than while driving or it could have been catastrophic. 

Apparently my connecter got loose or dirty...or both.
I went to the JY and got a new alternator without the 90 degree thing so I shouldn't have any more problems.  But I wanted to post this so no one else has any trouble .
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #1
I'll be checking in the morning thanks for the heads up
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #3
hmmmm,,,,,,,,,,will be looking at the bird tomorrow
thanks!

You know, when you open up the alt, there isnt really any mathmatical logic to the amount of circular millimeters of copper provided to proof out a max ampacity of a 3g.  they must be using 60degC connectors and such because our connector(s) dont have a temp rating on it nor what i can find on a spec sheet, when that happens then you have to use 60degC wire or copper tables.
Id gander that you had a loose connection... remember to use No-Oxide.

scott

Reply #4
That is a typical loose connection  in my view. Always use compound and torque the nut with a star washer behind it. And never use one of those nuts with the washers that swivel. Use a standard nut with a star washer. That connection got plenty hot from resistance. My money is on a loose nut!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #5
Quote from: TOM Renzo;392120
That is a typical loose connection  in my view. Always use compound and torque the nut with a star washer behind it. And never use one of those nuts with the washers that swivel. Use a standard nut with a star washer. That connection got plenty hot from resistance. My money is on a loose nut!!!

I would agree totally loose connection  , the thing is that is a factory connection that I never really touched , in hindsight I certainly should have ...lol
Fox-less at the moment