Skip to main content
Topic: Finally No Start (Read 7988 times) previous topic - next topic

Finally No Start

Reply #45
If i have this story corect and that engine is a fresh rebuild!!! Those compression numbers are atrocious!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Finally No Start

Reply #46
Compression #s not great, but it should still run. Looks like a fuel issue. Too much or not enough. The shreader valve to test fuel pressure is normally located after the fuel pressure regulator. An old fashion fuel pressure test will tell you if it's the regulator. Putting noid lights in the place of the injectors and then cranking the engine will tell you if the injectors are being told to fire. The noid lights should flicker as you crank. No flicker would indicate a bad wire, bad sensor of some sort, or bad ECM. After this ur looking at injectors. And please, never run Bosh plugs. Autolight or Motorsport are great. Champion are fine in a pinch. Bosh is NEVER good. The Platinum in the Bosh plugs just makes it expensive junk.

Finally No Start

Reply #47
well don't just hold the button down.. what i meant was when it starts to stall just give it another little squirt. And yes, you have to be careful or it will BLOW UP

Finally No Start

Reply #48
They call it starting fluid to start an engine, not run it for a few minutes lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Finally No Start

Reply #49
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;392610
They call it starting fluid to start an engine, not run it for a few minutes lol

thanks for stating the obvious... How long will it run? as long as there is a fuel supply, but as it still doesn't seem to start with the starting fluid... it's not fuel related, soo it's irrelelevant. do you have cats? might want to make sure the exhaust can escape.. probably another dumb statement but its an idea

Finally No Start

Reply #50
Quote from: stangman_1987;392611
thanks for stating the obvious... You're welcome. How long will it run? Apparently it still doesn't? as long as there is a fuel supply, ignition, and oxygen. but as it still doesn't seem to start with the starting fluid... it's not fuel related, soo it's irrelelevant. I agree. It's definitely irrelelevant. Has the OP tested fuel pressure properly, though? do you have cats? Yes, and 4 dogs, 1 snake, and 5 mice. might want to make sure the exhaust can escape..I would like to know who trapped it!? probably another dumb statement but its an idea It's a great idea...if I was the OP, that'd be the next thing on the list after the electronics pan out.

'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Finally No Start

Reply #51
wow dude, that's real cool. You are the man. I hope everybody gets a nice laugh. Apparently you've got an issue with me.. why? I have no idea. Guess I'll keep my opinions and ideas to myself.. since there's people here who know everything about everything.
............ But for real, whats your problem?

Finally No Start

Reply #52
Ok, I apologize for whatever got you going. Also my questions were directed towards the OP. I have no cats, dogs, kids, or mice. I thought this was a friendly forum. Not an insult board for trying to help and propose ideas. If that's just your sense of humor coming into play, then cool. Best regards and good luck to the OP.

Finally No Start

Reply #53
Tom and Chrome

If i have this story corect and that engine is a fresh rebuild!!! Those compression numbers are atrocious!!

I agree kinda low, but not sure whether my tester.  That's why wanted confirming test if I could have got the Autozone one to work.

Compression #s not great, but it should still run. Looks like a fuel issue. Too much or not enough.

That's my feeling also with the return side volume being low. 
Maybe some kind of restriction as don't see fuel in the oil (unless its evaporating off quickly.
That's why I was interested in stangman_1987 answer regarding starting fluid as "my logic" said by shutting off the injectors and fuel pump relay the only fuel source would be the starting fluid and
confirm fuel as the problem.

Chrome for what its worth, I usually use a stethoscope and listen to the injectors.  This was you don't have to disconnect the injectors and sound will tell you if the injector solenoid is working.

stangman_1987 -- might want to make sure the exhaust can escape.. probably another dumb statement

Not so dumb a thought.  Prior to this last NO-Start, my thought also, so took it to Midas to have them check out the catalytic convertor.  As  "Luck" would have it died in their parking lot. 
Consequently, had them work on it.  Worked on it 8 hours, put in new dissy and PIP and still no start.  Finally with my help had them check fuel volume, and by taking off return line allowed vehicle to start.
Had them put back in old dissy and PIP, and with return line off again started right up,  Took it home, ran it twice more and finally died for good and this post is the result.
As stated above, whether return line just a fluke -- engine had cooled by then -- or a fuel issue hopefully will eventually find out as ready to send the Cat to Cat heaven.

-----------------

Somehow overlooked INFAMOUSAPA comment and stangmans response:

Originally Posted by INFAMOUSAPA View Post
AHAHAHAHAHAH....Just saying i had the same problem with my 88TBird..Thought it was fuel...Starter selenoid...But my tranny needed work...Which caused no crank at all...Tranny has a soleniod by pass thingy on our cars...I fixed the tranny...After spending weeks looking for the problem...And to my suprise it was my tranny...
You must mean a neutral safety switch or whatever you wanna call it..

Actually neutral safety switch not a bad guess -- is part of the start-crank circuit -- but since engine cranks, IMO this drops it out of the picture. 
Easy test for this (and the ignition switch) is to run the common  DVOM lead to the dissy base and then turn the iginition switch to both run and start while separately checking TFI pins 2, 3, and 4 (use straight pin attached to pos DVOM lead). 
If you get 90% of battery voltage both ignition and neutral safety switch are OK.

Finally No Start

Reply #54
HaHa, yeah I know that's not your case, cause yours cranks.. I was referring to what his solenoid thingy must have been. Soo, I can see why you think it's a fuel issue with how it ran with the return line off.. weird that it won't fire with the starting fluid. And yes I do know it takes more than fuel for an engine to run. I'm just really thinking it's not fuel related if it doesn't start on the can. I guess it's possible to be a combination of things.. it's been a while since I read your first post, but was it sluggish at all before this happened?

Finally No Start

Reply #55
Stethoscope for testing injector function.... That's clever!

Finally No Start

Reply #56
I'm just a bit too ADD to re-read the whole thread, but may I ask where you're disconnecting the return at in the system, and have you tried disconnecting it a different points (if there are multiple accessible points)?  The reason I ask, is that if there might be a problem with the return, you may be able to determine which section of line it is.

Finally No Start

Reply #57
TheFoeYouKnow:  Be glad to:

where you're disconnecting the return at in the system, and have you tried disconnecting it a different points

What I did is this (going from memory instead of copying previous post):
1)  Disconnected injector harness
3)  Put on fuel pressure gauge. 
3)  Disconnected return line at TB.
4)  Turned ignition on for 10 seconds and collected gas in a calibrated container  (BTW repeated this three times to make sure no volume changes)
      Pressure BTW was 39 PSI.  (per spec)
5)  Container had about 5.5 oz of fuel.  -  (Per shop should of had approx 9.5)
6)  Next disconnected supply line at TB.
7)  Turned ignition on for 10 seconds and collected gas in a calibrated container  (BTW repeated this three times to make sure no volume changes)
8)  Container had about 11.5 oz of fuel.  -  (shop does NOT give any specs for supply side), but calculating high pressure pump volume based on pump output, this is good).

After reconnecting lines -- and couple days later --ran the pressure test again.  Still 39 PSI -- BUT -- after cycling on/off 5 time for 10 seconds each time,
pressure dropped more than 4 psi (dropped about 6-7 psi) after waiting 2 minutes.  This is NOT per spec per manual.. 

Both the above indicate to "me"  either a restriction in the TB and/or failure of the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

=========================
FWIW I can also test before the high pressure pump (this will test the low pressure pump) and just after the high pressure pump which effectively is the same as pulling the supply line at the TB.
Since volume on supply side good, I ruled out any pump issues for now.

/////////////////////////////////////
stangman:
was it sluggish at all before this happened?

Sometimes would take two or three (mostly two) key turns to start, but vehicle is NOT run daily, in fact about once a week when it runs (LOL)!!

Finally No Start

Reply #58
Didn't read the entire thread either, but is this a double fuel pump car? One high pressure one volume, and could one of them be going bad?
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Finally No Start

Reply #59
Soul:
is this a double fuel pump car

Yep:  But based on previous thread both pressure and volume on supply side look OK,