Skip to main content
Topic: more Caprice woes. Update, opinions please. 6-26-12 (Read 1844 times) previous topic - next topic

more Caprice woes. Update, opinions please. 6-26-12

New water pump, new Optispark (distributor), new coil, and new ignition control module.

Last time we drove it, about 2 years ago, the water pump started leaking, barely made it home, car was running rough, engine would barely move the car, etc.

Of course, the leaking water pump took out the opti with it, so about 3 weeks ago I put on a NEW water pump, and a junkyard opti. Car ran good...for awhile.
Then it quit us one night as we were headed out of town for a nice supper.
I did some basic mechanic work, had no spark at plugs, or coil, so I put on a new coil. Ran good again.

Now early last week, I was coming home from work in the morning, and it quit on me as I was turning off the highway into the town I live by.

I put on a new ignition control module, and I've got nothing at the plugs. Has a nice long arcing, purple-blue spark from coil though.

I even have gotten a second new Optispark from the parts store, am going to slap it on here in a bit and see if it will fire up.

I've got a lot of money tied up in this POS to get it back on the road...and we're kind've in a bad spot, since we have no vehicle that's fit. The Tbird still needs the rear 5 lug/brakes done...either drums or discs, I don't care at this point..it just needs to be done. I'd rather have drums for cheapness/ease, but I know of no viable solution to the proper length axles with 5 lug drums. Not sure if there's a way to drill TC axles, and use Ranger drums with the stock Sport 10" drum backing plates/hardware.

Or I need get the A9L, mass meter, and V8 fuel lines for the Stang and swap my HO into it.

The blue truck has a bad transmission, and we sold Nicole's S10 awhile back...of course, there's no way in hell 2 adults and 2 kids could legally ride in it anyhow.

Anyway, back to topic: I have not gotten codes from the Caprice, I HAVE checked fuel pressure, it's what it should be. The gas in it is good...when we parked it, it didn't have much in it, and since then it's had a tank ran through it, along with a bottle of Heet. Sure that fuel pressure isn't the issue anyway since there's a lack of "fire in the holes".

It's a '94 Caprice Classic, with the L99 version of the LT1...any help or tips are appreciated. If I can't get it running today or tomorrow, I'll probably have to drag it down to the local mechanic and get ass-raped for it...ughh. I have no idea why it won't run.. :mad:
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #1
As a 94 is that pre obd 2? There was a way to run codes on my buddy's 89 cavilier and his brothers 91 olds. Can't remember the exact procedure though.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
If it has electronic climate control, you hold the off & warmer buttons simultaneously with the key on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Reply #3
Yeah, it's pre OBDII, and has the manual climate control.

I could rent a code puller from Oreilly's...I may, if the other distributor doesn't solve the problem..
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #4
Have you thought about ditching the OptiFail system altogether? 

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/itemdesc.asp+ic+050LTCC+eq++Tp+
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
I would if the car had any kind of sentimental value to me...

Tom Renzo linked me to a coil conversion kit awhile back..i'd imagine that by the time I bought the rest of the stuff, had a bracket fabbed, bought the coils, etc, this one would be right around the 750 bucks or so that the one he posted costs.
Car just ain't worth that to me...as long as it will make it till next tax return, then I will be buying a Ford replacement...whether it's a V8 Explorer, or a 'Vic...
This car has had so many issues since new. Transmission has been looked at several times over the years by GM mechanics...it sometimes won't shift from low until it hits a high RPM, then when it does finally shift, it remains stuck in a high gear..at which time you have to stop, shut off the engine, and hit the brakes, flash the lights and such a few times in order for the electrics to fully drain so it will shift right upon the next startup. NOW there's a fix for it....but it isn't worth spending that kind of money on, despite that it's only got 78K miles and has been in the family since new.

This Caprice doesn't even have the LT1, it's the 4.3 liter version. If the car had an excellent body, i'd seriously consider swapping in a whole 5.3 LS1 from a truck or Tahoe or something.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #6
Pre OBD-II GM's don't require a code reader. You simply short two of the terminals (A and B) in the data link connector and watch the check engine light...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #7
Thanks Carm..will check that out tomorrow :)
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #8
Well, as a bit of a follow up on this, I never did get the POS to start, so I dragged it down to a local wrench, and so far he's put on new plug wires, changed the fuel filter, and said one of the cooling fan relays is bad. 800 bucks so far. Ouch.

Then I stopped by yesterday to see how it was going....was informed it won't start again and fuel pressure is low. Anyone want to buy a '94 Chevy car? 800 bucks....

He said he was going to test fuel pressure again and get a reading..told him to quit working on it if it needed a new pump...I'll do that myself, no need to pay him to do what I can do.

Meanwhile I have a Thunderbird in my shed that runs great, needs the exhaust and the rear 5 lug/brakes done...already proven to be more reliable than ANY of these shaging chevy piles. But the wife is being hardassed, won't be seen in the Bird. Might be time for a big decision in my life.

I see a long and happy future for me.....and the Tbird. :)
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #9
I had a 94' Caprice. Mine was also riddled with problems. My favorite was when the AC compressor locked up and smoked my belt. Then, I tried to replace the compressor, but one mounting bolt was right above the K-member with no way to get to it without lifting the engine (forget that). Then the intermittent random no-start condition at the most inconvenient times (never did figure that out, never did it when I had my tools). Good luck selling it, I listed it on CL and got nothing but 'gangstas' calling about it...

That car looked like it would be comfortable, but he seats had no lumbar support and really screwed my back up.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #10
There's a reason I drive my $500 fords. And it isn't just because there cheap. Short of a transmission failure, I've never had a reason to actually get rid of one.

My 88 wagon, in 40k miles I've done a waterpump, because it was a clifornia car, it had straight water in it. I never bothered checking it. Went two winters with just water in it, and what let go was the nipple to the waterpump. For $11 an about two hours of work, i t was fixed.

At first I was worried about the rust colored anti freeze clogging  up, but so far it hasn't been an issue. Now I just gotta get a set of tires on it to pass saftey. 3 years and they went bald, front and rear. This has been the most reliable car I've had. Its got at least 2 dead cells in the battery. Koeo voltage reads 10.2v's. Sometimes after a day or two or not driving it, it all but stops cranking every engine rotation, but just as I'm about to try to screw with the cables, it fires right up. I forgot, I did have to replace a new tarter solinoid, I borrowed the stock one from this car when my thunerbird one got stuck, then threw a autozzone  one in. Popped the hood, pulled off the trigger wire, turned the key back on, sparked it with a screw driver and made it home, no problems. $20 later, good as new.

I think the 80's fords are the perfect mix between cheap price to maintain, and excelent reliability.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
Hey beau I still have a perfect set of thunderbird fuel lines from my car

Reply #12
Just got off the horn with the shop....the mechanic informs me that all 8!!!! injectors are leaking down..causing a no start. Says that if it sits overnight, it will fire right up. Also says my transmission is shifting badly, and that my alternator bearing is making noise.

I told him not to do anything else to it...I'll pay the bill and dig into it myself. I can't afford to spend 2 grand to fix a 1200 dollar car.

So, when we parked the car (due to a failed water pump) in 2010, and it's sat in a garage since...would it be possible that the injectors could suddenly go bad, all of them leak down and flood the plugs? Sounds like a fat crock of shiznit to me...I mean, maybe one or 2, but 8???? Sorry, not believing that. They also called me lazy because I didn't replace the serpentine belt on the  car 3 years ago when i took it in for inspection...he said the belt had a chunk missing from it when my grandpa last drove it..that had to have been before 2003!

I'm probably up to agrand so far in what I owe them for the  thing..and not sure what to do. Besides pay them and bring it home.

Thoughts?
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #13
Ok, he's saying that because it's an 18 year old car, that the injectors need cleaned or replaced, because they're bleeding pressure, as they've got something stuck in them. Once it sits overnight he says it starts right up. I've never ever heard of such a thing, and I even called another mechanic in another town, he said he'd never heard of such a thing either, and he's got several years' experience at the local Ford dealership behind him as well as having his own for the last 12 years.

Right after I put the new water pump and distributor in the thing, it ran like a raped ape, no missing, hesitation, rough idle, anything. 3 day later, coming home from work, it started missing, sputtering, backfiring, then died. I put on 2 different optispark distributors, 2 different ignition controllers, and still no start..then I took it to him. All he's done is put on new plug wires and a new fuel filter.

He agreed that it sounded like it needs a new fuel pressure regulator, but wouldn't (obviously) say that's 100% the cause of the issue.

I'm 800 bucks into it, and the guy the car is at says it'll be about that much more to replace the injectors....he said he'd give me 500 right now for the car...keep in mind it has a brand new opti spark, water pump, coil, and ign. control module, as well as battery and rear tires. I've got 500 in the battery, tires, and water pump!

Humbly asking for your thoughts folks...
'98 Explorer 5.0

Reply #14
timing chain?