Skip to main content
Topic: Project ludicrous speed! (Read 7379 times) previous topic - next topic

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #15
Looks great!!!
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #16
Looks great. Like the fender protection, I hate wrenching over nice sheetmetal.

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #17
Hope it runs like a raped ape!  Looks great!
Mike

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #18
Looking good so far
Fox-less at the moment

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #19
It runs! I should have taken more pictures of the process but I just got so wrapped up in working on the car that I forgot to take pictures of the rest of the "build". I had a bit of a scare when I fired it up last night because it was smoking out the exhaust pipes really bad and it looked like burning coolant. It was buring coolant. What happened was that when I removed the GT40Ps a bunch of coolant overflowed from the block into the exhaust when I removed the last lower head bolt:hick:. I ended up sticking the bolt back in and getting a funnel to route the coolant to the pan I had under the engine, but not before about a half a gallon got into the exhaust. It took about 20 minutes to blow the coolant that got in the exhaust out. After that no more smoke and both the oil and coolant are fine. I haven't really beat on the car yet as I'm still "breaking it in" but it will lay rubber from a 20 mph roll now :burnout:. It feels noticeably stronger, especially in the upper RPM ranges where the GT40Ps started to fall off.

I take some pics after I redetail the engine bay. I chipped the heck out of the A/C lines and some of the brackets working on the engine so they need to be cleaned and detailed again. It looks just like it did with the GT40Ps, so no one will be the wiser that it has some nice flowing aluminum heads;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #20
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #21
Congrats !!! I'm proud for you. I'm really interested in the horsepower numbers. Were your "P" heads ported or have they had any work done to them? Reason I ask is, I had mine ported and the whole 9 yards, and I'd be interested in knowing how they do compared to aluminum heads. I just talked to my friend who runs the local Vocational auto classes, and he said I could use his dyno soon. I can't wait for that. Gotta do a fine tune on the old girl.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #22
Good work man!  I can't believe how clean your engine bay is!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #23
Great work! I'm glad your scare didn't turn out to be anything major.

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #24
Quote from: vinnietbird;390181
Congrats !!! I'm proud for you. I'm really interested in the horsepower numbers. Were your "P" heads ported or have they had any work done to them? Reason I ask is, I had mine ported and the whole 9 yards, and I'd be interested in knowing how they do compared to aluminum heads. I just talked to my friend who runs the local Vocational auto classes, and he said I could use his dyno soon. I can't wait for that. Gotta do a fine tune on the old girl.

My GT40Ps were stock except for the exhaust valves and springs. The exhaust valves were replaced with ones that were taller and didn't use valve rotators so they worked with non stock springs. Other than that stock as cast. The car is noticeably stronger with the new heads. Like I said it will spin the tires from a 20 mph roll.

I got some pictures of the engine. The bay needs some detailing attention but you can see how well the paint hides the heads. The casual observer would be hard pressed to tell that the car has Edelbrock Performer heads, which is how I like it ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #25
Quote from: 1Bad88tbird;390203
Great work! I'm glad your scare didn't turn out to be anything major.

I kept watching it yesterday but no more smoke came out. The engine oil and coolant levels didn't change so it's fine. I really didn't want to have to pull it apart again.

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #26
Quote from: thunderjet302;390147
but it will lay rubber from a 20 mph roll now :burnout:.

we need a video of that

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #27
Your bay continues to amaze.  Even your spark plug wires are clean and arranged perfectly!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #28
Quote from: xjeffs;390340
we need a video of that

Maybe more like spin the tires. I'm not sure if it left any rubber but the wheels were spinning :hick:. Unfortunately living in a highly congested urban area I don't have an area that I can safely film, uh, "activities" in. I'll have to take a trip out to the boonies ;).

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #29
Quote from: 50tbrd88;390351
Your bay continues to amaze.  Even your spark plug wires are clean and arranged perfectly!

The pictures make it look better than it really is right now. The plug wires are dirty and there are chips all over the A/C lines and front accessories.