Skip to main content
Topic: Project ludicrous speed! (Read 7399 times) previous topic - next topic

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #30
So I finally took the T-bird out to some back roads tonight and beat on it. This thing is much stronger than I thought. If you hammer it at 65 mph it gets to 90+mph in a hurry and barks the tires on the down shift:D. It pulls so hard that it locks the seat belt retractors when you down shift to passing gear. It just seems to pull and pull with no end to the power band. The GT40Ps on the car used to feel like they started to lose power above 4500 rpm. The Edelbrocks  power up to at least 5500 rpm, where the cam stops making steam. The car now has high rpm power with no lost power in the low and mid ranges. It accelerates so fast and smooth that you don't know how fast you're going unless you look at the speedometer. I really need to get back to the track....

I haven't launched it from a stop yet. I'm pretty sure the converter will flash to stall speed and incinerate the tires. No need to waste rubber ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #31
Quote from: thunderjet302;390604
It pulls so hard that it locks the seat belt retractors when you down shift to passing gear.

Nicely done! and one could still eat off of your engine too, that is unfair sir!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #32
Now the engine bay has been cleaned up. It looks much better in person. With the GT40P headers there is more room to get the plugs out than there was with the GT40P heads. I had to use a box end wrench on a spark plug socket to remove plugs with the GT40Ps but now I can get at the plugs with a socket and ratchet.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #33
I haven't launched it from a stop yet. I'm pretty sure the converter will flash to stall speed and incinerate the tires. No need to waste rubber

There may be no need, but it sure is fun.

Looks great.

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #34
Still a 14 second car :evilgrin:
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #35
Good looking engine bay. Those heads should be a lot of fun!

Project ludicrous speed!

Reply #36
Quote from: shame302;390763
Still a 14 second car :evilgrin:

Probably, especially since I suck at driving :hick:.

With the GT40Ps I was running 95mph in the quarter with a 14.6 et and a 2.2+ 60 foot, most Mustang guys are running about 100mph. Since my car weighs about 500lbs more than a Mustang that seems about right, mph wise. If I could have cut a decent 60 foot the car would have run a low 14. With the Edelbrocks most mustang guys are running 105-107 and high 12's to low 13's. I'm going to try to get to the track in the next month or so. I figure the car should run about 100 mph, good enough for 13s but since again I suck at driving it will have a 2.2+ 60 foot and probably run a 14.2 or some other py number. I can't really run sticky tires since the car still has a 7.5" rear differential. Over the winter I'm going to build up the XR7 8.8" rear I have in the garage so I can run drag radials and push the 3700lb fatty (3560 without me in the car) through the quarter in the 13s.

The T-bird is now noticeably faster than the Mustang, which for now makes me happy;).