Skip to main content
Topic: Need TC airbox pics (Read 2653 times) previous topic - next topic

Need TC airbox pics

Who has a picture of the airbox installed on their TC....
got an idea, and I need to see an example..

I flipped the airbox over in my car. I think I can make this work by maybe using a TC airbox instead, but need to see it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Need TC airbox pics

Reply #1
You're trying to make the hood scoops functional, right? Remember the hood scoops feed the intercooler, not the airbox in a TC...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Need TC airbox pics

Reply #2
I don't know what an intercooler is... lol
Sorry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Need TC airbox pics

Reply #3
so where is the airbox on a TC?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Need TC airbox pics

Reply #4
...and there was light!

Need TC airbox pics

Reply #5
Quote from: T-BirdX3;383106

that's the intercooler on top?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Need TC airbox pics

Reply #6
The black thing with radiator looking cores is the IC (intercooler).

The air box is bottom left of the picture, on the passenger side of the radiator.
...and there was light!

Need TC airbox pics

Reply #7
Ok, thanks....
I need to run with my original idea then
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Need TC airbox pics

Reply #8
Quote from: daminc;383107
that's the intercooler on top?

Yes, top passenger side of valve cover.
...and there was light!

Need TC airbox pics

Reply #9
Most people remove the stock TC airbox and replace it with a 3" K&N cone.
...and there was light!

Need TC airbox pics

Reply #10
It would be hard to keep water out of the air box when using the TC hood scoops.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Need TC airbox pics

Reply #11
not if you drain it right
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Need TC airbox pics

Reply #12
Just put a big turbo on with the intercooler. Problem solved,you need a new project for that car.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Need TC airbox pics

Reply #13
Quote from: daminc;383174
not if you drain it right

Perhaps. It was originally designed to feed the intercooler so the designers were not really concerned if water got in. It may be hard to design it so it works as a fresh air intake. Then again you've already rebuilt a Cougar so why not try :).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Need TC airbox pics

Reply #14
Do you need the plastic ducting for under the hood? I have one on a TC hood I have here ifya need it