Skip to main content
Topic: OMG long-tubes are a headache! (Read 4810 times) previous topic - next topic

OMG long-tubes are a headache!

I started around 11:30am and stopped for the day at 5:30.  I only got the driver side in.  To think I had planned on doing both headers, dual exhaust, rear coils and shocks today.  Had I known how involved the headers would be I would have waited till this weekend when I have two full days off.  I will resume tomorrow about 8am and have to be to work by 3pm.  Oh and my car is column shift, so now I have to install the floor shifter sitting in my closet lol.

If that wasn't bad enough, the fun dealer I'm having a pistol transferred through wasn't there to receive my pistol today.  Now I have to wait even longer:mad:.

Reply #1
In general, I find everything about headers a headache.....
...and there was light!

Reply #2
I had long tubes in my old 88 cougar for exactly one day. I installed them, took the car for a drive, and then discovered that every time I goosed the loud pedal the drivers side header would hit the column shift linkage and knock it into neutral. Not fun. I yanked 'em and installed a set of shorties. This was before the Internet, and those headers were the only ones Canadian tire listed for a 5.0 cougar. Had I known then what I know now I'd have swapped a t5 in, but I was a dumb, broke, apprentice mechanic in my early 20's at the time...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
The funny thing is I've had the stuff for the floor shifter install for atleast 6 months.

Reply #4
they're definitely a PITA to install, but the DS is the bigger headache.. the PS should be a little easier for you lol
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #5
yea...remove starter, disconnect heater core hoses...oh and cut the downpipe thingy.  Both cast manifolds unbolted easily enough, but the pipes connecting them to the cats...I said to hell with it and cut them.  Oh and there was a tab sticking out the drivers side of the AOD I had to cut off.

Reply #6
HAHAHA that sounds like me working on my car. It always takes WAY longer than what i plan...
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Reply #7
Quote from: SR71blackbird;381436
HAHAHA that sounds like me working on my car. It always takes WAY longer than what i plan...

this is why i'm not allowed to handle the time estimates in my own shop.. i'm terrible at it lol

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #8
i got long tubes on a 95 f150 and i HATE them. get maybe 3 weeks out of a set of wires b4 it burnd them up the headers are way to close to the plugs and it melts the boots off even with protectors on. now my tbird has shortys and i have no issues at all lol

Reply #9
LMAO now I find out my brother's 88 grand marquis is getting junked...I get free parts and first dibs!  So shortly I will no longer have a cfi 85!  His car is speed density...but free parts and $150 in ebay parts and I have MAF!!!  omg I'm excited lol

Reply #10
spare motor and trans? lol

Reply #11
His trans is trash...and storing a whole motor isn't gonna fly with my landlord.  So just taking the upper/lower, injectors, rails, harness, intake ductwork/air cleaner housing, maybe distributor and alternator...oh and if his car has the e-fan...that too!

Reply #12
oh and valve covers

Reply #13
I have an explorer upper/lower that needs a home...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #14
post some pictures of the header install if you can. I'd like to see what the clearance looks like.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.