Skip to main content
Topic: OMG long-tubes are a headache! (Read 4811 times) previous topic - next topic

OMG long-tubes are a headache!

Reply #15
Why would the land lord need to know you have an engine? I had my 302 short block in the storage area closet on my deck for 2 years without issue. Sucked getting up 2 flights of stairs by myself though. Had help getting it down. All and all, not sure I would do it again.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #16
I might assemble the Sport's next engine in my basp00get. No exterior entry/exit, just the stairway up/down to my utility room.

Coupla years ago, we laid down plywood, and dragged/pushed out an old deep freeze... thing must've weighed 400 pounds. I'm sure I could do the same to the engine...leave the heads off for some weight savings.
My shop is just a pole barn, drafty, dusty, damp, not the place to have a freshly cleaned shortblock sitting around, even covered up.

My point: put your engine in an out of the way place, tarp it up good, mouse proof it, and all that...tell the landlord it's an antique table or some such...you're going to give it to a relative for a birthday gift etc lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #17
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;381527
I might assemble the Sport's next engine in my basp00get. No exterior entry/exit, just the stairway up/down to my utility room.

Coupla years ago, we laid down plywood, and dragged/pushed out an old deep freeze... thing must've weighed 400 pounds. I'm sure I could do the same to the engine...leave the heads off for some weight savings.
My shop is just a pole barn, drafty, dusty, damp, not the place to have a freshly cleaned shortblock sitting around, even covered up.

My point: put your engine in an out of the way place, tarp it up good, mouse proof it, and all that...tell the landlord it's an antique table or some such...you're going to give it to a relative for a birthday gift etc lol

ha.. i did the sale thing in my old house for my old sport.. easy going down, a real pain to get back up
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #18
my brother, my landlords and I live in the same building...my landlords are also my parents...free 2 bedroom apartment as long as I help with maintenance.  Oh and my storage is full already lol

Reply #19
Honestly the clearance is none.  Seriously...may vary by brand...but these suck.  I might have to do some tpuppies on the k-member.  Plus getting them in with the engine in...yea they aren't so pretty anymore.

Reply #20
I installed Headman 1-1/2" primary longtubes on my '83 waaay back in the mid 90's and they cleared very well with the stock AOD.  Had to do a little work on the column shift linkage to get things to clear but it was easy enough.  If a person was going to stay with the column shift shorties are the only way to go with a mild motor.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #21
I installed Mac longtubes on my 88 TC with 5.0 swap.  Yea.  They were a pain to install too.  That just goes with the territory though.  The outer most passenger side primary was TOUCHING the brake line that runs to the front right wheel.  Consequently, I had to run a new brake line in its place, taking a different route.  The steering shaft runs between the driver's side primaries on the other side of the engine bay.  Clearances are so tight that I had to install solid motor mounts to ensure no problems.  I'm really liking the solid motor mounts, so I'm glad I went that way.  The trouble would turn some people away.  They'd think it wasn't worth it, but I'm a big fan of longtubes, so I don't mind the extra headaches you go through installing them.
William

Reply #22
Ok so now that I have them in and I'm not pissed off  the clearance on these summit brand generic 302 long tubes isn't bad.  In fact I shouldn't need solid motor mounts....will get them as insurance.

Reply #23
I'll take pics tomorrow with the dual exhaust installed.

Reply #24
cool. thanks.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #25
Sorry no pics yet...it's been cold as hell and I didn't get done till dark.  Plus I still have clearance issues with the shifter that I have to figure out tomorrow.  Started it up and she sounds good, a little loud but good.  I also need to weld up the O2 bungs on the headers because they are block by a pipe on the inside so I had to weld my own bung on the x-pipe.

Reply #26
Well burned through the starter cable yesterday...also have to adjust the tv linkage.  I'm about ready to say to hell with it and find a t5!

Reply #27
I realize this is a day late and a dollar short, but I wrapped by long tubes.  That prevents those sort of problems and really helps keep under hood temps down.
William

Reply #28
also helps keeping the starter from getting heat-soaked
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #29
ah ....that would have been a good idea...lol