Skip to main content
Topic: (New Goodies)Need Your Opinion on Headlight Color!(Lots of Pics) (Read 34767 times) previous topic - next topic

(New Goodies)Need Your Opinion on Headlight Color!(Lots of Pics)

Reply #150
Look on Ebay. You'll find lots of different types. Check this link out.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Lighting-Lamps-/33707/i.html?mvsub=1&_mcatda=true&_nkw=1986%20Ford%20Thunderbird&selfil=1%2C2%2C3&selvel=1986~Ford~Thunderbird~-~-

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #151
Thanks, looks like a good place to start.

Reply #152
Any time :D

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #153
The so called projector reflectors are junk. sorry for that, but using them with HID kit will result in blinding oncomming traffic. They are usable with H4 bulbs, but definitely not with HIDs.
If you really want HIDs, look for these lamps

They are hard to find, but they are ways better than those reflector junk.

PS: If you are thinking about retrofitting, then those clear lens may be OK.

Reply #154
That is just what I was looking for.  You wouldn't happen to know where you can buy those do you?

Reply #155
Dude, those are garbage. The top ones are rebased burners (read py focal depth halogen projectors with garbage bulbs and POS ballasts) that are way too high Kelvin. The others are just blue blinders (what you already tried). Complete wrong direction.  Don't buy HID parts off ebay unless you're harvesting parts from OE headlamps sold there. TRS is the ONLY place for good OE engineered parts running OE bulbs with good durable long lasting ballasts.  Everything else is cheap Chinese garbage.

Reply #156
You're right. TRS is probably the best way, but they don't sell any of these kits. All of them are DIY kits. They are perfect for modern cars with huge headlamps, but they are useless for our 4 eyed birds or cats.
I have tested of few these chinese HID projector kits and I was really surprised how excellent they are. You can order HID lamps from 3000K (yellow) to 16 000 K (violet). The best way is the 4300 K, which OEM manufacturers use in all new cars today.
I didn't have a chance to test exactly these lamps, but those i tested were better than my reference lamps from VW Passat and Ford Scorpio.

Reply #157
Quote from: Trinom;401561
but they are useless for our 4 eyed birds or cats.

Projectors installed in 4X6 for S-10. I'm not overly fond of his design, but that is the beauty of being a DYS'er.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?47094-1st-retrofit-%284x6-using-Mini-D2S%29

Some beautiful 7X6's. In post #37 he says he is working on some 4X6's.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?40325-7x6-headlight-retrofits

So it is completely possible to make it work. For the most part anything you get off of eBay is going to give you subpar performance.
...and there was light!

Reply #158
I'm a hidplanet member, so I saw couple tries and only this one looks quite good. You still have to modify the lamp housing, but not very much.

EDIT:
The thick spacer is terrible. You have to heavily modify the headlamp housing.

Reply #159
I don't mind the design if they would put out a good light pattern.  I am presently using a cheap housing and a decent HID light kit.  Do you know of anyone that has tried to install the above housings?  I had to clearance some headlight buckets to allow for the bigger bulb socket.  By the way, sorry if I highjacked this thread but I have been looking for a good housing for a bit.

Reply #160
Quote from: edgar_g1;401590
if they would put out a good light pattern.

They will have just about the same output as the ones below..

OEM Low Beam.

Projector Low Beams parked right beside the car from picture above.

I personally consider it a good light pattern. :D
...and there was light!

Reply #161
I would say so, that looks awesome.  I would be happt to get something close to that.

Reply #162
Quote from: T-BirdX3;401593

I personally consider it a good light pattern. :D

Have you found a good design for internal adjustment of the projectors? It needs up/down/left/turn/counterclockwise/clockwise. Since I'm finishing up my tail lights, I'd like to have a go at making a single-piece headlight assembly but I still haven't found a good way to do internal adjustment.

In all the 6 years I've been off and in into the research, and 5 years post-projector installation and with the experience behind me, I just can't find how to tackle this issue. Best I can think of is having the projector mounted to a back place that has slits for a screw to spin, allowing pivoting. From that point, the back place would have the adjustments that some people have come up with to allow for side to side, and up/down adjustments by using additional adjustment screws/threaded rods. it is difficult to explain, and even difficult to picture. Even with all this, it also needs to be sealed for protection from the elements. The good part is that this can all be built deeper due to no longer needing the adjustment brackets - that would just be used as part of the outer shape, giving us another inch or so of headlamp depth to design with. Since CNCing a block of aluminum is going to be a bit costly. I was thinking of using the flat parts of the headpanel where it meets the light to be made of aluminum to heatsink an array of LEDs, then using the front half a projector to handle the optics. This would keep everything self contained within the headlight, without the need for chopping up the headerpanel for 3" projectors.

Ideas T-BirdX3? We should collaborate on a single-piece headlamp design. I'd love to get the front lighting more modern. The guy I put an offer in on for a CNC router isn't getting back to me so I may pickup a 200A TIG welder to do everything but the aluminum slug to hold the LEDs. Flat aluminum surfaces will still provide everything needed except beam width, but I figure if anything, just double up on the LEDs and problem solved. We can fit and power 6 emitters per side easily, providing up to 5,000 lumens of light through a single projector, or 9 emitters if you're really daring :p You know you're tempted ;)
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #163
Look at some european or puppiesanese cars, they should have adjustable headlamps. Only problem is the rotation, because standard reflectors are set from the factory.

If you want, I can take some pictures of headlamps I have in the basp00get.

Reply #164
arise old thread!!

did you ever start making and selling the lenses?