Skip to main content
Topic: (New Goodies)Need Your Opinion on Headlight Color!(Lots of Pics) (Read 34765 times) previous topic - next topic

(New Goodies)Need Your Opinion on Headlight Color!(Lots of Pics)

Reply #135
Some of just the lenses. Because they are handmade each one is slightly different. This one has a little bit of dust in it and I rubbed the sides of the lense with the dremel when I was cutting it out, apparently I'm still learning the process. :hick:

The lenses fit very snugly around the outside of the housing instead of in the slots like the factory. This allows for plenty of surface area to get a good seal on.

Two of the corners on the housing need to be slightly shaved for best fitment. Those two corners need to be shaved less than 1/16", here is pictures of the two shaved corners.

You are basically just rounding these two corners.

Trying to take pictures of a clear lense is an interesting task to accomplish! :p

There is many more pictures in the album, I didn't want to flood this page with more than I already have!
http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/T-BirdX3/Thunderbirds/New%20Headlights/
...and there was light!

Reply #136
So are you going to do the signal lenses as well?

fwiw, I blew a headlight the other night and the thought that came to me was, oh what the hell I melted my housing I might as well chop it up and do the projector swap. And then I remembered the $400 price tag. I guess I'll just go throw another $20 bulb in there for now:toilet:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #137
LOL so far i haven't been able to get the marker lights apart without destroying them. I tried heating them like the headlights but ended melting the housing before the lense finally came loose! As of right now I only have a couple extra marker lights and not interested in destroying them just yet! lol
...and there was light!

Reply #138
I was just about to offer you mine b/c I've had them off, but then I remembered they're completely different lol
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #139
Ha thanks for the offer though!
...and there was light!

Reply #140
TbirdX3 where did you get the plastic? Would plexiglass from Home Depot work? and what is the thickness of the plastic. Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #141
To me it looks like it was vacuum formed. Pelxiglass generally yellows and cracks under heat and pressure. I haven't dabbled too much with plastic forming, but my dad makes pen 15pit covers for his model airplanes out of 2 liter botttles. Obviously you would want something thicker for lenses.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #142
http://www.saablink.net/forum/customizing-your-ng900-old-9-3/54770.htm

Here is a link that has kinda a how to on how to do it.

They say acrylic is easier to work with then plexiglass.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #143
I used .08in acrylic, Home Depot and Lowe's both have it.
...and there was light!

Reply #144
Just a quick update:

Have been using this set up for a couple months now and they still work awesome. Also just spent a little over a week at the beach, which meant my car was parked out in the sun in 105 degree temperatures for hours at a time, the lenses and entire seemed to easily survive that heat.

Have a great day! :D
...and there was light!

Reply #145
Do you know if anyone makes a good projector housing for the four eye thunderbirds?  I tried using one of the cheap housings with an HID kit, and the results were not that great.  Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Reply #146
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=227
http://www.jcwhitney.com/headlight-conversion-kit/c2824j1s17.jcwx

The first link is to the projector kit you want, its BI-Xenon, which means it's a lo and hi beam. In theory you wouldn't need the inner 2 headlights anymore, you could however use them to house some 3000k hid fog lamps.

Reply #147
Cool, are any of the headlight shells in JC Whitney clear so that they do not difuse the projectors?

Reply #148
You'll have to shop that out for yourself. I've seen many many h4 conversion housings that are clear lensed.  I don't know specifically what headlights a 4 eye takes,  so I didn't shop it down to that level.

Reply #149
Got it, just hoping somoneout there might have already done the leg work.  I will take a look around.  Appreciate the assistance.