Skip to main content
Topic: vibration thread - aluminum driveshaft cures it! (Read 15810 times) previous topic - next topic

vibration thread - aluminum driveshaft cures it!

Reply #90
Quote from: Aerocoupe;385357
Call them and ask.  When I had mine made they asked me to measure from where the U-Joint would go in the transmission yolk to the face of the rear end .  This would be with the yolk pushed into the tailhousing of the transmission as far as it would go and the car at its typical ride height.  They generally subtract anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" from that length and build the DS.  This will allow for rear axle movement up and down which will shorten and lengthen the distance from the  face on the axle to the transmission.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Darren

I called them and they said to measure it in the manner I did it...I'm sure each shop has their own way of doing it.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #91
I would just be concerned with how the yolk fits into the tail housing of the tranny but I am no DS expert by any means.  Something tells me it will install just fine and hopefully this solves your problem.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #92
I hope you are right!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #93
Just called the DS shop.  They said they hope to get it shipped out Monday.  I am anxious to get it and see if my vibration is gone.  I am also looking forward to driving it with the subframe connectors!

Reply #94
So I got my new driveshaft.  Beautiful piece...slid the yoke onto the trans output shaft and then the worst happened.  The darn thing is 2"-3" too long even with the slip yoke bottomed out on the seal on the output of the trans.

I followed their measuring technique per their ordering instructions on their website, but something got screwed up somewhere along the line.  I guess its going back north on UPS tomorrow.  Hopefully they will have it back to me by mid-week.  My uncle is needing his garage free.  This is very frustrating!!

Reply #95
it man!  That sucks.  Hang in there they will get it right.

Darren

Reply #96
Well apparently Friday the 13th is my lucky day.  I just installed my new alum DS from action machine and The bird is now vibration free!!!!

Reply #97
Quote from: 50tbrd88;386713
Well apparently Friday the 13th is my lucky day.  I just installed my new alum DS from action machine and The bird is now vibration free!!!!

Congrats! Now you can drive over 70mph comfortably :).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #99
Glad to hear it's fixed!

Reply #100
Quote from: 50tbrd88;386713

Glad to hear (read? lol) this!! :bowdown:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #101
Thanks guys.  I was very pleased overall.  While the car was in the air I fixed quite a few other annoying things.  I dropped the trans and split it to put on the correct speedo gear, changed out the CHE adj arms/Steeda springs for non-adj CHE's/TC springs, and welded in the SFC's.

I can't believe what a difference this all made in the enjoyment of driving the 'bird!  It rides better, is vibration free, and I actually know how fast I'm going now!!  This all makes me just that much more excited for Power Tour.

Reply #102
Who was the shop that did the work?

Darren

Reply #103
Yaaaayyyyy!!!!!!!!!!! Good to hear you FINALLY got this problem fixed :D
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #104
Quote from: Aerocoupe;386874
Who was the shop that did the work?

Darren

Action Machine out of South Bend, IN.  I should have taken a pic of it before I installed it...very nice (and beefy) driveshaft.

Yaaaayyyyy!!!!!!!!!!! Good to hear you FINALLY got this problem fixed 

Thanks!  Its a relief.