Skip to main content
Topic: vibration thread - aluminum driveshaft cures it! (Read 15806 times) previous topic - next topic

vibration thread - aluminum driveshaft cures it!

Reply #75
My tc came factory with the 373 I think
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #76
Wasn't the TC driveshaft a tad different?  I was thinking they were just a tad bit shorter due to the fact TC's could be had with a T5 and the automatic was different than that in the 3.8/5.0 cars.  I could be wrong...
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #77
Quote from: bigbada1;382815
My tc came factory with the 373 I think

The auto's came with 3:73, the manual came with 3:50.
...and there was light!

Reply #78
Quote from: 50tbrd88;382849
Wasn't the TC driveshaft a tad different?  I was thinking they were just a tad bit shorter due to the fact TC's could be had with a T5 and the automatic was different than that in the 3.8/5.0 cars.  I could be wrong...

4 feet long exactly with a 5 speeder  :burnout:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #79
My car started life as an auto tc
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #80
Quote from: T-BirdX3;382853
The auto's came with 3:73, the manual came with 3:50.

3.55 :shakeass:
Mike

Reply #81
Quote from: 50tbrd88;382849

I don't know if they are different from the 5.0's, but the TC auto and T-5 have different drive shafts. The auto is several inches shorter than the manual drive shaft!

Quote from: mcb82gt;383186
3.55 :shakeass:

:flame:
...and there was light!

Reply #82
I will be measuring the driveshaft today so I can send the dimensions in Monday to the shop that will be building me an aluminum one.  Stay tuned to see if it fixes my issue.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #83
Hopefully this fixes the issue :).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #84
OK so I have a CV drive shaft ready to get cut down but my car was originally an auto tc. Do I need to have the shop make the al ds to mirror the ds I pulled out or do I need to go grab the ds out of a friend parts car that is an original t5 tc
87 TC

Reply #85
Quote from: thunderjet302;385116
Hopefully this fixes the issue :).

So do I!!  I pulled my s today, boxed them up, and sent them via UPS to the fab shop that willl be building my alum shaft.  They said it will take them approximately 3 days to build it and send it out.  In the meantime,  my uncle and I started prepping the car to weld in the subframe connectors.  That ended up being more work than planned due to my Dad using the flimsy frame rails as a jacking point for years.  Unfortunately they are battered in pretty badly.

Reply #86
Quote from: bigbada1;385289
OK so I have a CV drive shaft ready to get cut down but my car was originally an auto tc. Do I need to have the shop make the al ds to mirror the ds I pulled out or do I need to go grab the ds out of a friend parts car that is an original t5 tc

I would measure from your output shaft to the rear axle  and see how the TC shaft measures.  In my opinion you could run it as long as it fits and does not vibrate.

The only reason I am going aluminum is to try and eliminate my vibration.  And it still may not cure it.

Reply #87
That is why Im wanting to go with an aluminum DS (eliminate my vibration) I would just like to know if I should have it made to the DS length that I have in my car or go pull the DS out of the parts car and use it as the template.
87 TC

Reply #88
I really didn't use my driveshaft as a template since it was my original AOD/5.0 one.  I just measured from the very end of the output shaft on the T5 to the  on the rearend (with the DS removed).  It measured something like 52 11/16" but every car is different (or so they say). I just gave that measurement and my old / slip yoke to the DS shop and they will figure it out from there I guess.

Reply #89
Call them and ask.  When I had mine made they asked me to measure from where the U-Joint would go in the transmission yolk to the face of the rear end .  This would be with the yolk pushed into the tailhousing of the transmission as far as it would go and the car at its typical ride height.  They generally subtract anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" from that length and build the DS.  This will allow for rear axle movement up and down which will shorten and lengthen the distance from the  face on the axle to the transmission.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp