Skip to main content
Topic: Sandblasting (Read 1536 times) previous topic - next topic

Sandblasting

I'm looking into to doing some sandblasting this year;
I would probably be starting on some aluminum heads and intake in an enclosure of some sort, But the big project would be an 8.8 rear out in the open.

My big concern is safety for myself, I don't want to give myself silicosis or anything like that... I would like max protection within my budget.

I definitely don't have the funds for a "Fresh air supplied" Helmet and Pump, But I do have access to Oxygen Tanks and Medical Oxygen Hoses and what not...

What do you guys suggest I use? Or what Do you guys use?

I was looking at this combo of items on the Home Depot website:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202714568/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
+
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202714579/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
+
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202714636/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
+
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202714577/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

With this setup, I think the Window on the hood would degrade too quickly and not be changeable~Unless I could come up with some sort of film to put over it?...
And would the filter really be enough for heavy sandblasting in the open?

Thoughts?
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Sandblasting

Reply #1
I also have the option to buy this right now, But it just doesnt look very efficient at all... Even though it has an Air Inlet at the back and replaceable windows, I would still need a Respirator:

~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~

Sandblasting

Reply #2
I never used sand, so not sure what to tell you as far as safety.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Sandblasting

Reply #3
As far as safety that all depends on the person. Ive normally just used a respirator that covers my face.

On the sandblasting Ive also been told not to sandblast heads.

Sandblasting

Reply #4
Oh!,
I actually mean general abrasive blasting, But I would like full protection for up to the harshest media I used.

On the heads I was actually gonna try "Soda Blasting" after reading up on it a bit. 
And I'm pretty sure this is the same method my local old school machine shop used to clean up the aluminum intake on our Astro Van since he said he couldn't tank it.

Sandblasting

Reply #5
Ah ok, ya sand in an engine, you can guess how that would end up!! LOL

Ive seen the soda blasting used on the history channel on an old thin piece of aluminum. Worked great.

Sandblasting

Reply #6
sand and aluminum heads = big no no! unless you're not touching the gasket surfaces, it will disfigure the hell out of them, as sand will take away some of the metal.. i've actually used my sand blaster to cheat doing port work lol

but that hood you posted a picture of, those things are great.. i have 1 that's similar and use it all the time.. i just use those cheap, disposable respirators under it, as not much dust comes up inside the hood.. other than that, i just wear a welding jacket and welding gloves
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Sandblasting

Reply #8
A hood with a respirator and shorts with a tank top. It will feel so good when you stop. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Sandblasting

Reply #9
Quote from: HAVI;376854
http://www.turbineproducts.com/fresh-air-respirators.html  I've been pondering buying this.  When I get my full blasting set up finished, and start doing work for others, hopefully it will pay for itself in time.

those things get hot after about 40 minutes of continuous use :mad: i used 1 when i was cleaning cartridges for a company called spartan air purification.. you'd be better off with an air compressor supplying your breathing air, although it may smell a bit funky.. lol

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Sandblasting

Reply #10
Quote from: Shadow;376873
those things get hot after about 40 minutes of continuous use :mad: i used 1 when i was cleaning cartridges for a company called spartan air purification.. you'd be better off with an air compressor supplying your breathing air, although it may smell a bit funky.. lol

shouldn't use an air compressor... you will get oil and other hazardous stuff in your breathing air. there are other companies that make air supplied hoods and masks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Sandblasting

Reply #11
it was a bit of a joke, but there are filters and water/oil traps you can use.. if i was to ever seriously use a compressor, i'd use my little harbor freight oil-less pancake

Sandblasting

Reply #12
Quote from: Romeo2k;376806
I also have the option to buy this right now, But it just doesnt look very efficient at all... Even though it has an Air Inlet at the back and replaceable windows, I would still need a Respirator:

I went ahead and bought this for $20 shipped to try and use with a 3m or sundstrom respirator.
It arrived today and seems to be ALOT older than I was thinking, The inside head "snugger" has dry rotted free from the metal shell, But I have an idea to use the liner out of a bicycle helmet. Visibility is excellent (other than it could use new glass pieces) which I was really unsure about with that middle separator, and it has an air inlet on the top.
A few minor mods and it should last many more decades and serve pretty well.

I dragged my Dad over to Home Depot (Military Discount ;-) ) with intent to purchase a Sundstrom Half Mask Setup, But apparently they dont carry them in store. :punchballs:

Sandblasting

Reply #13
We
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!