Skip to main content
Topic: Automotive engineers.....What do they know? (Read 4920 times) previous topic - next topic

Automotive engineers.....What do they know?

Reply #15
Hmmm that 3rd starter bolt on the modular motors. The Front oil pan drain plug that drains right on the sway bar on the fox's. I'm sure there are others I am not remembering

Reply #16
how bout making a car with no drink holder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #17
2003 explorer 4.0, no trans. dipstick.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #18
Not meaning to step on any toes here. I understand engineers are having to deal with constraints. They have to do what accountants want. They have to engineer around cost limits, and emmissions standards. The new diesels engineers have had hell trying to reduce emmissions and make these things work without sulfer. Some design flaws like bad head gaskets nobody would have known about an issue until several thousand cars have hit the road and got some miles on them. However, some things can be blamed on the engineers. Many engineers(not all) design this stuff with no regard to what will happen in the real world. 4wds with CV joints look good on paper. They have agility that can't be obtiained any other way, but off road obsticles such as short trees, brush, and other sticks and stuff cause the CV boots to get damaged. I was meaning to highlight the things that leave you thinking "what were they thinking?". I have seen on multiple occasions where electronics was put in a wet location without anything to protect them from the water. Just want to point out the oops factor that happens because the engineers are human like the rest of us.

Reply #20
Quote from: EricCoolCats;376515
Water neck bolts on a 5.0. Wow...five minutes alone with that engineer.
Oh ya I forgot about that one. You also pray that the bolts aren't corroded in or your gonna be pulling the whole intake.

Reply #21
The body engineer who designed the rockers and lower doors on the MN-12 cars. The  things rot out way to easy. I should know, I had a MN-12 with shot rear rockers and a floppy passenger door because the lower door frame rotted away. The rockers from the doors back were made of bondo :hick:.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #22
Be
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #23
Quote from: thunderjet302;376525
The body engineer who designed the rockers and lower doors on the MN-12 cars. The  things rot out way to easy. I should know, I had a MN-12 with shot rear rockers and a floppy passenger door because the lower door frame rotted away. The rockers from the doors back were made of bondo :hick:.

The IRS subframe area is a joke as well. Both '89 cars I was involved with were terribly crusty there too.

Here's the best one:
NO 5.0HO in the '86-'88 Tbirds. It's Ford though....let's have a bunch of redundancy and needless costs, because the Mustang is sacred and all else is shiznit.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #24
How about Renault Alliance and Encore. "1984 Motor Trend Car of the Year." You could always count on them needing something at state inspection time. Trans were junk. They blew head gaskets regularly. Steering racks wore out. E-brake cables broke. On and on. I worked at a Toyota/Chrysler/Jeep dealer in the early 90s. Chrysler took over AMC, I believe in the late 80s, and they were the Renault franchises. What junk. I will agree with TOM Renzo though it kept me in work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 T-Bird V6 C5
91 F-150 5.0L 5spd
93 Mustang LX 351C C4
2013 Honda CRV AWD

Reply #25
With
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #26
i surprised no one mentions the 4.0l sohc in explorer, mountaineer, and sport trac. has a rear timing chain. when the guides wear out you have to pull the engine to change the guide and chains. i love doing them since i have the tool to do them. but customers hate them!
ever do a trans in a contour new gen cougar? pull the entire subframe.. hell the contour/new gen cougar were a disaster completely. the early contours would have wire insulation crumble apart. lots of shorted wires...
windstar/f150 3.8/4.2 with intake plenum bolts that leak vacuum and cause lean codes.
Brian J Larkin
1988 Tbird Turbo Coupe
1989 Cougar XR7
1995  Ranger Splash

Reply #27
The worst thing I have found on the MN-12s was the door panels. After a while they just start falling apart. Never did find a way to keep them together. Some engineering blunders have put food on my table, but I had a few that were just a pain. I was working in a Dodge dealership in Amarillo when the 03 Dodge pickups were new. Constantly had them coming in for wind noise around the doors. Chrysler's fix was new weatherstrip. They would revise the weatherstrip every couple of months. Just replacing the weatherstrip never did fix the problem. I found that the doors were sticking out from the body line slightly with the doors fully closed. If they were to be adjusted so that they were ever so slightly in from the body line that the wind noise went away. After a while of doing that repair, Chrysler stopped paying for door adjustment because we were doing more than any dealership in the country. Had to continue doing adjustments at no charge to prevent come backs and keep the customers happy. If I didn't do the door adjustments than the trucks would come back and waste my time when I could be doing something that could really make me money. So glad not to be in the business anymore, warranty pay sucks!

Reply #28
Got to love warranty work. NOT! I remember doing warranty cats on a 3.0L Duratec in a Contour. They were part of the exhaust manifolds. What a pain! I think it payed 2.6 hours. It sounds like alot for warranty work but it took every bit of that and then some. Those engines were crammed in those cars.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 T-Bird V6 C5
91 F-150 5.0L 5spd
93 Mustang LX 351C C4
2013 Honda CRV AWD

Reply #29
Ch