Skip to main content
Topic: What Octane? (Read 14823 times) previous topic - next topic

What Octane?

Reply #90
Quote from: Chrome;376811
Sure is a lot of fancy stuff to just show exprieance. A car is a car. Simply put, this has gone way too far. The thread posted a simple question "What octane do you use?", not "What octane should be used?"

You're exactly right Chrome.  It's safe to say that Tom has impressed himself.  I thought it was a simple question that would give us something to talk about in a friendly way.  Things had gotten really slow here in this forum and I thought I might be able to wake things up a little bit by starting a conversation that EVERYONE here could respond to.  That's all.
William

What Octane?

Reply #91
Its kinda fun to share information, while dodging any and all questions. So do you think that means some one is to smart to communicate with others, or smart enough to know they can't answer questions?

Its easy to look smart when you have the answer to the question you ask yourself.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

What Octane?

Reply #92
On the note of octane, local shop ran a car on the dyno with QT fuel, then Shell IIRC. Loss of 25 horsepower just on fuel.
1986 Cougar LS

What Octane?

Reply #93
[q
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

What Octane?

Reply #94
:sorry:
Quote from: 88 Blackbird 5.0;376813
You're exactly right Chrome.  It's safe to say that Tom has impressed himself.  I thought it was a simple question that would give us something to talk about in a friendly way.  Things had gotten really slow here in this forum and I thought I might be able to wake things up a little bit by starting a conversation that EVERYONE here could respond to.  That's all.

This thread took a bad turn from the very start. I am ashamed to have gotten involved at all. I don't even have a constructive answer to your simple question. Bought my bird in October. It was bone stock. So far my modifications include a tune up and bumping up the timing. I didn't use a timing light, vac gauge, or dyno.(OMG!) It starts fine, runs fine, has no pings. As for octane, I use the lowest grade I can possibly find. I am sorry to have perpetuated the slaughter of your innocent and constructive thread.

What Octane?

Reply #95
Lol.  You didn't perpetuate the slaughter of this thread.  I thought what you had to say was constructive.  :)
William

What Octane?

Reply #96
Quote from: DVP;376849
On the note of octane, local shop ran a car on the dyno with QT fuel, then Shell IIRC. Loss of 25 horsepower just on fuel.

Wow Dillon!  That's a big drop in power!
William

What Octane?

Reply #97
Tom, sorry you couldn't dumb it down for us "GOOD OL BOYS". Maybe we should join a different forum. Perhaps one about tractors, or cow, or chickens or something!

What Octane?

Reply #98
Quote from: 88 Blackbird 5.0;376857
Lol.  You didn't perpetuate the slaughter of this thread.  I thought what you had to say was constructive.  :)

Thank U.

What Octane?

Reply #99
No
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

What Octane?

Reply #100
:disappoinThe man's been working on cars longer than I've been alive and can't tell what an engine is doing by listening to it.

What Octane?

Reply #101
Mr. Tom, I do not have any problem with a majority or what was said here, however. A discussion usually revolves around those having experiance on a subject, sharing it with others. I am not part of an un-ruly mob, nor am I going to consider myself to be an expert. I was not here to brag, until you started taking shots at me to make me look like an un-educated idiot. Which by the way I am. I still don't understand why you are/were so threatened by me.

Octane was brought up, I mentined what I run, and somewhere someone mentioned that no egr with obviously effect both gas mileage and emissions. Me being stupid as I am, decided to share several of my own experiances. I was personally attacked and made fun of, and called out for everyone to see as an idiot. When I asked you specific questions, you conveineantly changed the subject, made fun of me, or bragged about how you work in the automotive feild, and that I don't.

Why even bother drilling and tapping a brake line? There is going to be almost no flow whatsoever going through it, and it would more likely draw more air through your single exhaust port then to you intake, especially at lower rpm's. The air will be introduced, and dillute air, not clean it. All emissions are tested by parts per million. You add air into that, and it is going to seem cleaner, no matter what. An old hot rod trick to pass emissions was to drill lots of small 1/8th inch holes into your tail pipe because it would suck air into your entire exhaust sytem, "cleaning " it, and getting you passed on emissions. I don't see what your doing with brake lines as being any different, or an egr for that matter. If your just going to ignore me and act high and mighty, let me know, and you can be the first ever person in about 6 or 7 years to make it into my ignored filter.

If you are here to share information, go ahead. I would appreciate it if you could answer one of many questions that you asked throughout this entire thread, as I have answered many of yours.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

What Octane?

Reply #102
Mr. Tom, I do not have any problem with a majority or what was said here, however. A discussion usually revolves around those having experiance on a subject, sharing it with others. I am not part of an un-ruly mob, nor am I going to consider myself to be an expert. I was not here to brag, until you started taking shots at me to make me look like an un-educated idiot. Which by the way I am. I still don't understand why you are/were so threatened by me.

Octane was brought up, I mentined what I run, and somewhere someone mentioned that no egr with obviously effect both gas mileage and emissions. Me being stupid as I am, decided to share several of my own experiances. I was personally attacked and made fun of, and called out for everyone to see as an idiot. When I asked you specific questions, you conveineantly changed the subject, made fun of me, or bragged about how you work in the automotive feild, and that I don't.

Why even bother drilling and tapping a brake line? There is going to be almost no flow whatsoever going through it, and it would more likely draw more air through your single exhaust port then to you intake, especially at lower rpm's. The air will be introduced, and dillute air, not clean it. All emissions are tested by parts per million. You add air into that, and it is going to seem cleaner, no matter what. An old hot rod trick to pass emissions was to drill lots of small 1/8th inch holes into your tail pipe because it would suck air into your entire exhaust sytem, "cleaning " it, and getting you passed on emissions. I don't see what your doing with brake lines as being any different, or an egr for that matter. If your just going to ignore me and act high and mighty, let me know, and you can be the first ever person in about 6 or 7 years to make it into my ignored filter.

If you are here to share information, go ahead. I would appreciate it if you could answer one of many questions that you asked throughout this entire thread, as I have answered many of yours.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

What Octane?

Reply #103
:stupid:

Just kidding Haystack, you are far from.

What Octane?

Reply #104
Ok if y