Skip to main content
Topic: What Octane? (Read 14819 times) previous topic - next topic

What Octane?

Reply #105
I have been told that my car cannot be tested before for having holes in my exhaust. One thing that I find funny about emissions, is that in my experiance, they really don't do anything to help. Note, I did say in MY experiance, not that it is law, or anyone that disagrees with me shouldn't. A number of emissions components were deleted in the 1990's when cars switched to obd2. Also, many imported cars in the 80's didn't have cats, or egr valves. Many had no emissions. Those cars had to pass the same tests as mine, and I have seen them get better then cars with emissions functioning. Anothing thing I found funny. A friend of mine run a sniffer test on a obd2 vehicle, when her worked at a shop, just for fun. It didn't pass at all. Not even close. Yet as long as it doesn't throw a code, its fine, in my state. I knew another kid that had a carbed 460 in a later 90's mustang. He passed every year with a $40 fake obd2 computer.

In my state, they went to the idle rev test. Not sure what you call that, but now, in my opinion, it should be impossible not to pass. I am still not to see a single person fail this test. Now remember I did say in my opinion.

So, I have blown through a brake line before, and there really isn't much of any air passed through. The only way that this could work is if the car had a very restrictive exhaust system. Otherwise it would suck cooler air out of the intake. Not trying to be mean, but I really don't see it making much of any differance.

Also, why did my emissions get so much worse with a functioning cat? Why didn't my emissions get quite a bit better with my repaired egr on my thunderbird? I know every engine is different, but I can't come up with any explaination for anything I have experianced.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

What Octane?

Reply #106
Fir
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

What Octane?

Reply #107
Quote from: 88 Blackbird 5.0;376813
You're exactly right Chrome.  It's safe  to say that Tom has impressed himself.
Quite obviously this is what most of his posts are ever about. Loves to hear himself go on.

Quote from: TOM Renzo;376774
So be it as it may i always tune for  93. But not always.
:hick:

Quote from: TOM Renzo;376862
No problem i am moving on. Sorry you dont understand what i was saying.

Have a good DAY Y'all

:bowdown:

No you won't.

Tom Renzo, possibly the MOST narcissistic, arrogant, self riotous and obnoxious post w to date.

:evilgrin:

Seems to me Tom, any quality info you bring to the site is muddied of not nullified for the above reasons. Keep it up though, it's entertaining. So what's the name of this amazing shop you run?
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

What Octane?

Reply #108
Quote from: thunderjet302;376598
The Rolls Royce (Packard) Merlin with the supercharger was faaaar superior to the Alison V16 it replaced in the P-51A.

Not that I claim to have much knowledge in regards to them, aircraft engines always impressed and intrigued me one way or another. One that stands out in mind is the Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major.

~John~

What Octane?

Reply #109
First and foremost OBD2 Did not really come to play until 1996. But some Fords actually had a dummy plug that was not hooked to anything as far as i know

Time to start picking things apart. This is rather time consuming on my cell phone but here we go. Actually most fords were compliant in early 94, except for certain 5.0 engines, such as the 94-95 mustang. In my state, if you have an obd2 plug, you are required to meet those requirements.

So a 1990 Mustang would not be OBD2 Compliant. If the inspector inspected that car as an OBD2 Vehicle the guy should be stacking shelves in wall mart.  Also it would be impossible to pass with a dummy computer any way. How would he set the monitors!!! I know it can be Dun but highly unlikely.  Also a lot of foreign cars got exemptions like HONDA. Honda got a 1 year extension on OBD2 Compliance. And some other foreign cars also got wavers. Example Volvo  had an exemption for obd 2 because their ECM did not retain monitor memory hold over. So they had to get wavered.

I said a 1990's mustang, not a 1990. Once again, only hearing the part of the response you want to. I was not sure of the year of mustang, but I believe it was a 96-98 v-6. The engine blew and he found a loop hole. As long as they didn't get a failed code from the computer, it passed. Actually a problem with the way emissions laws were written in my state. They knew the car shouldn't pass, but passed all of the rules under the new obd2 laws.

Now on the brake line. First i showed clearly the pass paper work my machine printed out. Remember the engine is under vacuum and actually sucks the exhaust in to the intake. If you dont believe me open an egr valve while a car is idling and see what happens to an idling engine. It stalls out. But i used a 1/4 inch pipe and the engine did not stall or fail an ASM 25-25. Reason being the test starts at 25 and not idle. Now an idle 15/25 is very bad because you need to be lean and clean at idle. That is where most engines fail.

If the computer is functioning correctly, it will throw an egr code, which will automatically disable the egr , as well as how the egr is not used at idle until the car is warmed up. To be honest, I don't think the egr is used period at idle.

Now i dont know the numbers in your state for a pass fail by year of manufacturing parameters but the state sets the limits to a degree. Now i dont know why your vehicle failed and had higher numbers with a cat or EGR. What were the numbers and what were the previous numbers. I have to see what it was. Just saying it failed means  nothing. Now as for an OBD 2 car to fail an asm or dyno test would be basically very hard to do. Reason being when an obd2 is working properly it is 1.5% cleaner than fed specks. Thank you

So when everything was new from the factory, emissions were 1.5% of maximum allowable. So may car was running quite a bit better then a new obd2 vehicle. And if someone hasn't been maintaining their car, but it still dooesn't throw any codes, it will still pass emissions, while failing the actual emissions tests. Or does obd2 run its own emissions? And you do know the numbers in my state. That post that you got such a kick out of my car hitting 5000nox showed what it was until the begining of this year. I am not sure what it is now, but my state has the same emissions requirements from 1967 to 1995. And yes, there is no emissions waiver in my state forr any vehicle that came with emissions equipment. A 1967 mustang has the exact same emissions requirements as my 88 crown victoria station wagon.

NOTE the EGR valve on most newer cars of non obd2 design will not allow the EGR to operate unless the car is in gear and up to a pre determined speed. So they dont test for it. Plain and simple. Now what do they test?? It depends on the state. But most states that do pre OBD2 Normally do a dyne asm test. But normally up to and including cars that are under 25 years old only older vehicles are exempt in most states. Now some states like NY only do OBD2 compliant cars. Hope this helps.

So in most states the dyno is used. In my state it is not. So my egr would not even function, nor do most cars to begin with on most emissions tests.

But we all have to remember, I am the moron here because I don't work in the industry.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

What Octane?

Reply #110
Quote from: Haystack;376928
Once again, only hearing the part of the response you want to.
That's his "thing". Also, he says thank you after every post. It comes off as arrogant and obnoxious Tom, just in case you were un-aware.

I was not sure of the year of mustang, but I believe it was a 96-98 v-6. The engine blew and he found a loop hole. As long as they didn't get a failed code from the computer, it passed. Actually a problem with the way emissions laws were written in my state. They knew the car shouldn't pass, but passed all of the rules under the new obd2 laws.
1996. It was like this in MA till this year when they wised up to it. Guys with everything turned off in the tune were passing because they were showing no mil lights. Now they won't pass. I believe you are now allowed 2 to be turned off (2001 and older anyway) and still pass if no MIL indicator. This works for me as I only have my rear O2s turned off. My buddy with his boosted 04 GT got nailed hard. Had to go to a separate entity after failing in order to be approved for a re-test. We de-modded the car back to stock and flashed the stock tune back into it. For next year he is going to need a new tune (expensive) or de-mod again (pita).

~John~

What Octane?

Reply #111
Quote from: TOM Renzo;376902
First and foremost OBD2 Did not really come to play until 1996. But some Fords actually had a dummy plug that was not hooked to anything as far as i know. So a 1990 Mustang would not be OBD2 Compliant. If the inspector inspected that car as an OBD2 Vehicle the guy should be stacking shelves in wall mart.  Also it would be impossible to pass with a dummy computer any way. How would he set the monitors!!! I know it can be Dun but highly unlikely.  Also a lot of foreign cars got exemptions like HONDA. Honda got a 1 year extension on OBD2 Compliance. And some other foreign cars also got wavers. Example Volvo  had an exemption for obd 2 because their ECM did not retain monitor memory hold over. So they had to get wavered.  Now on the brake line. First i showed clearly the pass paper work my machine printed out. Remember the engine is under vacuum and actually sucks the exhaust in to the intake. If you dont believe me open an egr valve while a car is idling and see what happens to an idling engine. It stalls out. But i used a 1/4 inch pipe and the engine did not stall or fail an ASM 25-25. Reason being the test starts at 25 and not idle. Now an idle 15/25 is very bad because you need to be lean and clean at idle. That is where most engines fail. Now i dont know the numbers in your state for a pass fail by year of manufacturing parameters but the state sets the limits to a degree. Now i dont know why your vehicle failed and had higher numbers with a cat or EGR. What were the numbers and what were the previous numbers. I have to see what it was. Just saying it failed means  nothing. Now as for an OBD 2 car to fail an asm or dyno test would be basically very hard to do. Reason being when an obd2 is working properly it is 1.5% cleaner than fed specks. Thank you

NOTE the EGR valve on most newer cars of non obd2 design will not allow the EGR to operate unless the car is in gear and up to a pre determined speed. So they dont test for it. Plain and simple. Now what do they test?? It depends on the state. But most states that do pre OBD2 Normally do a dyne asm test. But normally up to and including cars that are under 25 years old only older vehicles are exempt in most states. Now some states like NY only do OBD2 compliant cars. Hope this helps

'94 and up T-birds and Cougars are in fact OBD-2, no dummy plugs.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

What Octane?

Reply #112
Quote from: shame302;376925
Not that I claim to have much knowledge in regards to them, aircraft engines always impressed and intrigued me one way or another. One that stands out in mind is the Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major.

The R-4360 is a awesome engine. Another cool Pratt & Whitney engine is the R-2800 Double Wasp used in the P-47 and F6F Hellcat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-2800_Double_Wasp
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

What Octane?

Reply #113
Quote from: 20thanniver-ls;376936

The 3.8 was OBD I till '96 when it went OBD II. I know because I use to own a 95 T-bird and it ran EEC-IV and was OBD I.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

What Octane?

Reply #114
Quote from: shame302;376924
Quite obviously this is what most of his posts are ever about. Loves to hear himself go on.

:hick:

:bowdown:

No you won't.

Tom Renzo, possibly the MOST narcissistic, arrogant, self riotous and obnoxious post w to date.

:evilgrin:

Seems to me Tom, any quality info you bring to the site is muddied of not nullified for the above reasons. Keep it up though, it's entertaining. So what's the name of this amazing shop you run?

I feel cheated. I was planning on posting the same thing.

What Octane?

Reply #115
Quote from: TOM Renzo;376862
No problem i am moving on. Sorry you dont understand what i was saying. Octane is determined by many things built in to a particular combination . Example Axle ratio transmission Altitude induction system with or without EGR injector size. Thermostat so on and so forth. Anyone that does not know their exact timing and claims to set it without a light or whatever is beyond my even commenting. You should know exactly where your timing parameters are. Either way i messed with the regulars and got hammered because of the click. Well thanks i will remember all the knowledge i learned by this post. I am going to throw my SNAP ON timing light away tomorrow when i open my business. After all it is not needed right Chrome. The silliest thing i have ever heard in my life.

I do understand what you are saying. It is not the purpose of this thread. He wanted to know what octane these fellas ran with similar setups. Not identical setups, not what octane is needed. He was starting conversation. How come so many threads you post in results in fighting? How come you have posted the high dollar builds in three posts that I know of in order to prove experiance? WE GET THE POINT TOM! As for the timing.... I knew you would be appalled by that. Timing by ear is not for the squeemish. As long as it runs fine, sounds fine, and plugs look fine, there is no problem. A dyno would show it is in much better shape now, and although the timing would not show perfect, it would be close. That is all one can ask for without a dyno.....timing light or not.

What Octane?

Reply #116
[qu
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

What Octane?

Reply #117
Quote from: TOM Renzo;376968
On 1996 and later vehicles, you can tell which protocol is used by examining the OBD II connector:

Uhhh moot point? your entire post is moot because again, you fail to address what YOU quoted and responded to:

Quote from: 20thanniver-ls;376936

The V6 cars are OBDI the 4.6 cars are in fact OBDII. Just because your state may not require them to be OBDII compliant does not mean they aren't.

Was that so difficult Tom?

What's the name of this elite shop again Tom?

Oh:
Just for the record as posted 1990 was not obd 2 nor would it be tested as so. That is without a doubt of being incorrect.
Nobody said they were. You mis-understood/read and then got all excited..

Thank you.

~John~

What Octane?

Reply #118
Tom, you are an entertaining guy. I think the internet is ruinging our relation ship though. I think if we had this same discussion over a beer or two, we would be freinds after. In the mean time, I will read what you post, and remember that it is always a loaded answer, and that you will not answer any questions. You are useful, and very knowledgeabe, but not someone to be trusted without double checking virtially everything you say.

Good thing there isn't so much politics thrown into wiring. Otherwise nothing would ever get done.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

What Octane?

Reply #119
Quote from: thunderjet302;376944
The 3.8 was OBD I till '96 when it went OBD II. I know because I use to own a 95 T-bird and it ran EEC-IV and was OBD I.

Yep. I meant to put V-8 Birds and cats '94 and up....
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII