Skip to main content
Topic: What Octane? (Read 15352 times) previous topic - next topic

What Octane?

Reply #120
:DThis thread was a good idea, but has gone majorly awry. Can we start fresh? Please post the octane you use if you have similar set up! As Tom has so painfully expressed over and over, octane has many contributing factors. Please post your octane and the factors that may be the reason for your octane use. Let's not get side tracked with arguments over emission requirements or OBD2 or such.

What Octane?

Reply #121
Quote from: TOM Renzo;376651
so much to choose from all i know is that the the higher the octane, the odds are against my motor being capable of putting up with it for long periods of time.

Why ???? Can you explain this to ME!!!!! What would be the issue???? So you are saying your engine will expload with a higher octane on a regular diet. I find this extremely odd and would like to know why?????

To put it in perspective. Toyota recommends regular 87 in the camry V6. But in the lexus with the same exact engine and tune they recommend premium 91. Can anyone explain this to ME??????

i thought,,(perhaps that may be the problem ) that the higher octane results in the following:

~more heat
~more miles to the gallon

I have gotten better miles to the gallon but with the fuel changes, i am pretty certain (based on zero facts) that the original design was not based on fuels to be invented two decades from now.

For the purposes of too much heat, and the age of the motor pieces parts, again i "thought" the higher octane would eventually cause some harm. 

I cant explain technically why i feel this way, i just do.  After reading all this though, its been educational.  I dont mind the ball busting, it happens , just as long as there is something informative.  Trust me , i know how to bicker  but reading between the lines, it makes me wonder if running the higherst octane would actually help and also offer additional life to an engine.  You said a couple things that lean to that direction but never really came out and explained it.

What Octane?

Reply #122
Quote from: jcassity;377226
i thought,,(perhaps that may be the problem ) that the higher octane results in the following:

~more heat
~more miles to the gallon

I have gotten better miles to the gallon but with the fuel changes, i am pretty certain (based on zero facts) that the original design was not based on fuels to be invented two decades from now.

For the purposes of too much heat, and the age of the motor pieces parts, again i "thought" the higher octane would eventually cause some harm. 

I cant explain technically why i feel this way, i just do.  After reading all this though, its been educational.  I dont mind the ball busting, it happens , just as long as there is something informative.  Trust me , i know how to bicker  but reading between the lines, it makes me wonder if running the higherst octane would actually help and also offer additional life to an engine.  You said a couple things that lean to that direction but never really came out and explained it.

That is a common misconception. Higher octane has quite the opposite affect. Less heat and fewer miles to the gallon. With it producing less heat, perhaps it could extend engine life....never thought about it. I always thought the higher octane fuels had more cleaning agents in them, but that could be wrong. Why else would they call it "premium"? As for the bickering, I think it has scared away potential posters, and has shortened the life of this thread. I just wanted to keep the thread going because I have an intrest in this engine configuration. Would like to see the possibility of having to switch to higher octane if I use this engine combo.

What Octane?

Reply #123
Wh
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

What Octane?

Reply #124
My
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

What Octane?

Reply #125
Is

What Octane?

Reply #126
Su

What Octane?

Reply #127
Ca

What Octane?

Reply #128
:DThank U Tom. That was very informative. Goes to show how much we can learn if we don't argue. I hope we can get past our previous issues. I do believe U have much knowledge we can all learn from. You might be able to learn a little from us too.

What Octane?

Reply #129
holy  this thread's been here for 2 weeks and 13 pages and I just realized it exiested....

anyway, I don't have the engine setup you originally posted, but just for kicks....  I run 93 in mine. But I also have timing advanced to 14*btdc. I was getting some loping at 10* on 87 so I played with timing and got a much better idle at 13-14*and decided to go with 14* and run 93 due to its ability to perform better with advanced timings. I did actually make a noticeable difference in seat of the pants acceleration, unfortunately I have not had access to a dyno in the last 3 years, as much as I would have liked to, so I can't say for sure what difference it did make. However, it did have a negligible negative impact on mpg's though. Well, maybe not negligible since it does cost me another ~$4.00 to fill up my tank with 93....

Also, the reason I run 93 and not 91 is that in my area the only grades available are 87 89 and 93
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

What Octane?

Reply #130
Quote from: sarjxxx;377286
holy  this thread's been here for 2 weeks and 13 pages and I just realized it exiested....

anyway, I don't have the engine setup you originally posted, but just for kicks....  I run 93 in mine. But I also have timing advanced to 14*btdc. I was getting some loping at 10* on 87 so I played with timing and got a much better idle at 13-14*and decided to go with 14* and run 93 due to its ability to perform better with advanced timings. I did actually make a noticeable difference in seat of the pants acceleration, unfortunately I have not had access to a dyno in the last 3 years, as much as I would have liked to, so I can't say for sure what difference it did make. However, it did have a negligible negative impact on mpg's though. Well, maybe not negligible since it does cost me another ~$4.00 to fill up my tank with 93....

Also, the reason I run 93 and not 91 is that in my area the only grades available are 87 89 and 93

I think the reason your thread was shut down so fast is because the battles on this one spilled onto yours. Sorry about that. Welcome to the bloodbath.lol

What Octane?

Reply #131
Quote from: Chrome;377288
I think the reason your thread was shut down so fast is because the battles on this one spilled onto yours. Sorry about that. Welcome to the bloodbath.lol

lol I thought that was funny that he shut it down. It was clearly a joke but I guess everyone (3 people) took it seriously. I though it was funny as hell. The guy did it to HIS OWN CAR for crying out loud. Whatever. My feelings aren't hurt.;)
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

What Octane?

Reply #132
:rollin:I forgot I even posted in that threat. My bad (for my part in getting it closed). It's because I'm so pissed that Tom Renzo has all the goods and the toys. I'm so jealous uber honda and I'm intimidated by his E-dick swinging. :bowdown:Thank you.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

What Octane?

Reply #133
Tha

What Octane?

Reply #134
Hey Tom, how come when you answer with quotes, it's not in Quotes?  You need to fix that.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +